FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Can Osama Bin Laden really be dead?

Author Topic: Can Osama Bin Laden really be dead?
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
If he did die of typhus as the reports indicate will we ever really know?
Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HegemonsAcolyte
Member # 1468

- posted      Profile for HegemonsAcolyte   Email HegemonsAcolyte         Edit/Delete Post 
It is unlikely that we will ever know unless someone shows us a body that can be examined for authenticity.

I figure that we wait 50 years and then just assume he's dead.

Posts: 74 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
If he's dead thank god. If he's not someone needs to impale him in a town square and light his living body on fire so that he knows what pain really is!
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
Other than make you feel better, what purpose would it serve by doing that?
Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

Revenge=happy - at least when it comes to war criminals who are to blame for the death of so many CIVILIAN lives.
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I doubt we'll ever know. We might, I'm not saying it's not possible, but I think it'll end up being one of those things, like HegemonsAcolyte said, that we just wait and eventually assume he's dead. I don't think we'll ever find his body.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HegemonsAcolyte
Member # 1468

- posted      Profile for HegemonsAcolyte   Email HegemonsAcolyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I hope he isn't dead. I would be much more interested in his being captured to see what kind of information they can get from him.
Posts: 74 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

quote:
Originally posted by HegemonsAcolyte:
Personally I hope he isn't dead. I would be much more interested in his being captured to see what kind of information they can get from him.

true, but still think he should meet a severly tradgic public end once we have squeezed him for all of his info.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, if the man can manage to get dialysis every now and then for his kidney issues (right?), couldn't he get to the hospital for that?

And isn't the fact that he's sick dependent entirely on a DGSE report that's unsubstantiated?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

Maybe the report is false and we already havehim in custody, or maybe he's healthy and still on the run. Like mentioned above, I highly doubt that we'll ever really know what happened to him unless another video comes out, and even then it doesn't mean he's still alive, just that he recorded a lot of tapes of himself
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

If he died, Al Qaeda would be shouting from the roof tops, and there'd be a huge funeral to honor him. They've done more for lesser people, besides, they'd blame his death on the Americans and call him martyr no matter what. They need the PR.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HegemonsAcolyte
Member # 1468

It is pretty easy to prove whether tapes are recent or not. He just needs to talk about current events. If he never speaks at all about current events, specific events, then it is unlikely the tapes are current.
HegemonsAcolyte
Member # 1468

I am not sure if publicizing his death would help or hurt their cause. As long as people think that he is alive they will be afraid.

Also, I think that it would give America too much good PR if people know he is dead. It makes Al Qaeda look weak.

B34N
Member # 9597

quote:
Also, I think that it would give America too much good PR if people know he is dead. It makes Al Qaeda look weak.

Kind of why I am all for a public flogging
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

How dumb are people?

OBL's death wouldn't weaken Al Qaeda one iota. And if people stop being afraid after he dies, then they probably never understood the threat to begin with.

How do we look strong if he dies because he doesn't have access to clean water? Gimme a break.

B34N
Member # 9597

never said we would look strong if he dies now, but if we impale him it would dfintely send a message. But he would also become a martyr to his followers. Kind of a win lose situation, if he dies the way he has supposedly died he definitely becomes a martyr because his followers will find some way to blame us anyhow.
HegemonsAcolyte
Member # 1468

I know that he is not a threat. He has been completely neutered. His assets are frozen and all his energy is spent hiding. Thing is that his danger doesn't stem from what he can actually do, it stems from what people think they can do. He is so built up nowadays. He is like the devil. Who cares if people don't understand the threat? As long as they are scared it gives AQ power.
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt if he has been running the show for some time.
Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder what affect an ignomenious death would have on his followers. I mean, there would have to be some fundamentalist Muslims who would see the great leader of Jihad dying in a hut in the middle of no-where of some disease as less than befitting his high standing. I could just see the Psych warfare people in our military having a field day with that.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HegemonsAcolyte
Member # 1468

True.... Dying like that would probably tarnish the image.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Doubtful. They aren't idiots, if anything, I think Mid-East terrorist groups have proven themselves PR Wizards over the course of the last year.

If they don't outright lie, or cause him to be killed in some sort of glorious martyrdom, then they will blame his death on the long, horrific struggle against incredible odds at the hands of the American Satan.

Ghandi almost died of starvation, and is revered as one of the greatest men of all time. Osama dying from a disease (the man already has health issues) would be easy to turn into a positive for them. He suffers for his people, he hides in caves for his people, he has no access to clean drinking water and risks death for his people. Yadda Yadda Yadda, his sacrifice shall NOT be in vain! Do all that's possible to honor his memory, and to KILL those REALLY responsible for this death! Allahhu Akbar!

HegemonsAcolyte
Member # 1468

and then they go and declare war on bacteria...
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I think their PR is working great. So far they have everyone hating America including Americans.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
The interesting part of the how OBL persona is that he seems to attract OUR versions of extremist nuts, like a heat lamp attracks moths. Just look at this thread!- we get people saying it would be a good idea to stage a Louise the XIV type public execution. That would be just brilliant. [Roll Eyes]

It would be SO cliche for me to respond that terrorists win when we become so much like them- but I am gonna say that anyway. Charismatics and extremists so rarely do anything good for other people- even as they claim to be so commited to service.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

I'm American and i love America! So their PR sucks! Flog the Bas**rd Bin Laden!
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Cliches aren't necessarily wrong.

Louise the XIV? (As in Thelma XIV and?)

I think you mean Louis XVI.

HegemonsAcolyte
Member # 1468

Yes.... and in Thelma and Louise, part XIV... Since this version is more regal in nature, they will instead drive off of the grand canyon in a Rolls Royce.
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yes.... and in Thelma and Louise, part XIV... Since this version is more regal in nature, they will instead drive off of the grand canyon in a Rolls Royce.

Come on! Warn us on the spoilers!
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.