FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hypoallergenic Kittens

Author Topic: Hypoallergenic Kittens
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not kidding.

First of all, I've just been reading about the development of plants that are essentially the mutants of the species- like these cats- yet are prized by humans for this mutancy. It's very interesting.

Second, this is awesome. It doesn't bother me, because cats have been bred for specific traits for years. This is only a particularly useful trait.

Thirdly, the developer of this cat is going to be a very, very, very rich person.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"This is a natural gene divergence within the cat DNA - one out of 50,000 cats will have this natural divergence," he said.
Hmm. I sure hope they tested enough cats to get a decent starting population (and where did they get all these cats and what did they do with the thousands they couldn't use?). Otherwise inbreeding could lead to numerous health problems. Especially since there's such a huge demand. I wonder if they will only sell the kittens spayed/neutered to prevent competition? Otherwise I could see someone buying a male and female and starting their own business.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, because what this world needs is more mutant cats...

I'm sorry, but even if I wasn't allergic to cats I can't bring myself to pay $4K for *any* pet, especially one as useless and unentertaining as a cat. I'd pay $4K for a dog if he comes trained to fetch me a beer on demand.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
That is not what I expected them to look like physically. The idea of a hypoallergenic cat is good, though I'd like to know what is different, about it's hair, saliva, or whatever.

I have some rough feelings on cat breeding in general, with the number of strays every year. I do like the purebreds, though I have never had one. In showing 4-H cats most people believed my cat was a purebred and thus thought it was unfair i was allowed to show and win (we won grand champion 2 out of 5 times, and reserve grand twice also). When someone did come in with a purebred cat who was not recieving the obsessive care mine was getting (though she was still healthy and well groomed) she got second in the class to mine. Everyone who sees pictures of my cat (I don't have any online right now, I'll try to get one tonight) is fully convinced he's a purebred because he meets all of the body type requirements of an old type siamese (he doesn't have a wedgie head) and is blue point. This kitten was born at the side of the road in Morgan County IN to a tabby mamma. Most of the new purebreds coming out, new strains have had similar starts. Ragdolls were bred to be like a found cat that flopped, one of the rex types was found in a barn, almost all examples of "male calicos" were barn cats, of course they can't become a breed because they are sterile.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
You could just get a Sphinx. They're hairless, but it's much easier to keep control of their dander that way. Just wipe 'em down with a warm, wet towel a couple of times a day.
Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
And they're just over a thousand.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in agreement with Nighthawk on this one. Especially with what this weekend entailed. My friend has 3 cats. Sheesh, my allegies had a field day. I couldn't use enough Visine.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I know alot of allergic people who love animals, and wish they could just turn off their allergies.

Though if you think about it, it might be more useful if they simply bred humans until they bred allergies out of the gene pool [Wink]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
People might complain about the culling process, though...
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a protein in the saliva. I'm pretty sure they just tested for those without the allergen and then cloned. [Smile]
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Er, tested for those without the allergen and then bred, no cloning involved.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Yeah, they've only cloned a few cats so far, not a whole breed that's now available for purchase.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard all about this in the movie Cats & Dogs (one of Sasha's favorites).

Of course in the movie, Tinkles the Evil Cat seeks to reverse polarity on this, and create a situation where everyone is allergic to Dogs. In such a situation, with out man's protectors, the Cats would soon rule the world.

But that's not important now. I am sure Tinkles has nothing to do with this.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Siberian cats are pretty close to hypoallergenic already.

If I had 4 grand to spend, I would sure think about it.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.