FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The REAL Battlestar Galactica Season 3 Discussion Thread (Page 4)

This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  20  21  22   
Author Topic: The REAL Battlestar Galactica Season 3 Discussion Thread
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, the whole point of my post boils down to this and stands regardless of whether or not you think they are clones, constructs whatever.

Just cause they can't "make babies" the natural way doesn't mean they can't construct a baby the way they make the adult models right now.

quote:
Who says they're clones? A clone can't stick a wire in her arm and communicate with a computer.
Clones in the genetic sense. Their bodies are mostly flesh and blood. DNA, cells, proteins, we learned in the first season that it's all there and indistinguishable from human. The only difference is the way their brain operates. Apparently they have some sorta silica pathways in the brain, and probably along some of their blood vessels as well (hence wire in arm). That doesn't change the fact that biologically they are clones. Each of the models has a certain DNA and each member of the models is a clone of that DNA.

If they can create an adult model off of that DNA, why not a child then? Honestly, you're going to tell me that they have good enough biotechnology to create an adult clone, but not good enough to create a child clone?

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if anyone saw this or not, but Dynamite Entertainment (who is responsible for the current Battlestar Galactica comic) announced that they've signed a deal to have two novelists (whose names escape me at the moment) write a 4 issue miniseries called the Cylon Wars, chronicling the first war between humans and cylons. It sounds like it'll be really interesting. Hopefully the art is a little bit better than the current Battlestar Galactica comic though.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

- posted      Profile for ReddwarfVII           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds stupid at the moment, but yes. They may not have the ability to create children cylons. The only argument that I would give is the necessity of uniformity. In order to do what they do (downloading, etc) each model clone/construct would have to be created exactly the same for it to work. While they are advanced enough to accomplish what they have, it is likely that they have hit a wall in their ability to develop new biotechology in the creation of life. Hence the research and emphasis on human/cylon integration.

I am not saying that they won't develop the technology, I just saying that they may not have it presently.

Besides, how would they know how to "program" a child. They don't have children and they can't make their own biologically. I would say that they are still too early in their evolution to have the ability to create a child like Kasey that is basically an adult cylon in a child's body. A child with an adult intellect would have a difficult time pulling the wool over Kara's eyes over a long period. If their goal is long term manipulation of Kara, it would simply be easier to create a human/cylon child that would really act like a child and develop like a child would naturally. Giving Kara a real child to care for who looks enough like her to be hers would be a far more effective manipulation using a technology that is already proven than trying to do something that they may have never done before.

Posts: 263 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pfresh85:
I don't know if anyone saw this or not, but Dynamite Entertainment (who is responsible for the current Battlestar Galactica comic) announced that they've signed a deal to have two novelists (whose names escape me at the moment) write a 4 issue miniseries called the Cylon Wars, chronicling the first war between humans and cylons. It sounds like it'll be really interesting. Hopefully the art is a little bit better than the current Battlestar Galactica comic though.

Wow, that's pretty cool. You know if they're gonna be graphic novels or just regular novels?
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

They're comics, not actual novels of any kind. I just mention novelists because they said they actually hired published novelists to write the series.

EDIT: Here's a quote from the website:

quote:
The Cylons were created by Man.
They Rebelled.
They Evolved.
They Look and Feel Human.
Some are programmed to think they are Human.
There are many copies.
And they have a Plan.

Ronald D. Moore’s Battlestar Galactica Universe is set to expand even more in the world of comics and tell a story that’s only been alluded to in the hit Sci Fi television series with the release of Battlestar Galactica: The Cylon Wars from Dynamite Entertainment. As Dynamite explains it:

“This mini-series event is set to reveal the historic events of the first Cylon War, as well as the happenings during the 40 year truce that followed. The idea is quite intense, given that these are the proceedings that Battlestar buffs have been speculating about since the initial mini-series on Sci Fi. With that in mind, we knew that we would need a creative team with a futuristic and scientific sense, so it’s easy to imagine our excitement when Joshua and Eric came on board. Coupling the military-esque aspects of Eric’s work with the scientific components of Joshua’s storytelling style guarantees fans will receive a compelling and precise recount of Battlestar history.”

Co-written by novelists Joshua Ortega (((FREQUENCIES))) and Eric Nylund (Halo – Ghosts of Onyx, First Strike, The Fall of Reach, Signal to Noise, A Signal Shattered, Pawn’s Dream, Dry Water (nominated for the 1997 World Fantasy Award), A Game of Universe), Battlestar Galactica: The Cylon Wars will essentially be a prequel to the TV series, shedding new light on the Colonial Civil War, why the Cylons rebelled, and why they suddenly left 40 years before the bombing of Caprica. The four-issue limited series also marks the first time in comics history that two guys who began their careers as novelists are co-writing a comic book series.

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

Awesome, thanks for the link pfresh
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

Episode tonight! Hopefully we will get a little more insight into the Kasey situation!
Posts: 263 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
***spoilers***

Did he just kill her??? [Frown]

[ October 20, 2006, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

Huh???? No Spoilers until after show, can't watch yet. Please put SPOILERS???
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow... just, wow.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
You people are evil.

As I am in the Pacific Time Zone, the show starts in... a little less than two hours. -_-

I know this is going to be an excellent episode (you know, the culmination of everything. The BIG battle... etc.) But it seems that already you guys are talking about it.

So I guess I'll be waiting until after 10 PM before looking here again...

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Spoilers for those who haven't seen tonight's episode yet:

Well I underestimated Lee some. I thought he would go into the fight without a plan, just jumping in without thought. He actually put together a decent plan though. Sure it cost them Pegasus, but they didn't seem to lose as many human lives as they could have. They also looked to save most of the people on New Caprica. It looks like a rather successful thing. I also sort of right in that Kasey wasn't Starbuck's kid. I didn't expect her to be a kidnapped kid though; something about her (particularly the way she stared at people) made me want to believe she was a Cylon trick. Oh well. Sometimes you're right, sometimes you're wrong. [Smile]

EDIT: I just wanted to say that the premiere plus these last two episodes has quite possibly been the best 4 hours of television I have witnessed in a while.

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
teh awesome.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] Incredible!

So Gaius is with the Cylons and Xena lady has the baby. Very interesting...

I also wonder how tied they're going to be to their Constitution now. Clearly, Roslin is taking control. Will they hold an election to sustain this or will the results of the last election color them to simply let Roslin rule without Constitutional restraints? We also have the time bomb of Sharon who's quite likely going to turn when she discovers that Hera lives. So much awesomeness!

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

Another great line, from a Viper pilot: "Well, this is going to be different."

I'm kind of surprised that this show is able to top itself every week. The storyline was great, but the effects bypassed my expectations. I'm guessing they blew their SFX budget for the next few episodes.

Amanecer, I love how Roslin just walks in and takes her seat in the room, as if it's just the most normal thing in the world. She's a cool character.

By the way, I recently had to watch an episode of Star Trek: TNG for a class; it was titled "The Measure of a Man." A court is convened to determine whether or not Data is property of Starfleet. At one point in the episode the JAG refers to Data as a "toaster." I thought that was hilarious [Big Grin]

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
"I also wonder how tied they're going to be to their Constitution now. Clearly, Roslin is taking control. Will they hold an election to sustain this or will the results of the last election color them to simply let Roslin rule without Constitutional restraints?"

I asked Jamie the same question. We figured a scenario like this would follow.

Reporter: "Madam President, how can you justify taking office without a valid election."
Roslynn: "New Caprica."
Reporter: "Good point. Carry on."

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Well, I saw it now too.

Damn, they blew up Pegasus.

Also: In the preview for the next episode, did they just show Geata about to be executed? Noooooo!

Still. Wow. I don't think I've seen a better CGI battle... ever. That tops Star Wars Episode 3. Maybe not showing as much, but the CG was at least as good, if not better, and the sequence itself held so much more emotion, and was just so...

Galactica falling through the atmosphere and then jumping away right in time. Nothing tops that. At least, nothing I've seen so far.

So... Mrs. Tye is dead. Um... none of the other major characters died this episode. But the Pegasus is fracking gone.

And... it looks like revenge is on the menu for next week! Joy...

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry if this winds up double-posting, but for some reason, my computer's going insane.

That was BRILLIANT. I was desperately clutching a pillow for the whole show - it was that intense.

I'm glad Lee doesn't suck quite so much anymore and I was shocked about Casey and pleased by Kara's reaction and also glad Kara insisted on Anders dropping her so that she could rescue Casey and the interatmosphere launch of the Vipers... and... and... there was so much! Such a well-paced and intense episode!

But let us not forget the most important development of tonight: Adama shaved the 'stache! [Big Grin]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

Okay, I give up. I can't wait till tomorrow, i'm getting the bit torrent of this one.

HA! Told you Kasey was human! [Taunt]

ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

Of course I realize that doesn't really prove any of my theory above, but.............
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Nathan and I felt like the show went much, much faster... we were surprised to be at the midpoint of the show when we were, we didn't think we'd been watching that long.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

Actually it would make sense that they kidnapped a kid instead of actually creating a hybrid or even an immature clone. It would have been too risky to assume that she would not kill the child.
B34N
Member # 9597

Yeah, plus if they could just make hybrid kids Hera wouldn't have been so important to the Cylons. I'm interested to see what becomes of the hybrid kid though, will it have some freakish powers like on the 4400 first and second seasons (haven't seen the rest so don't know what happened)????
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

I wouldn't think so. It doesn't look like the show is really moving in that kind of direction. However, I would bet that she will not be able to download, thus making her completely mortal and more human than cylon.
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Telperion the Silver:
***spoilers***

Did he just kill her??? [Frown]

No. She killed herself. I think she knew what was in the drink. But she needed to die.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by ReddwarfVII:
I wouldn't think so. It doesn't look like the show is really moving in that kind of direction. However, I would bet that she will not be able to download, thus making her completely mortal and more human than cylon.

If she could download, Diana would have set off the nuke.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

What model would she download into? There isn't one for her yet, but maybe they will create one now and see if she is capable of it???
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
That would be a pretty risky experiment.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

Here's another question -- if she downloaded, how old would she be, mentally and physically? For some reason I'm kind of expecting her to grow up quick and turn up again, as there's only so much you can do with a toddler.

You know, I found it intersting that D'Anna went to the Oracle's place to set off the bomb (or, that's what it looked like to me). At first I thought she was looking just for the baby but in the podcast RDM says she's going for the nuke and then hears the kid.

It doesn't make sense, because she seemed to be searching for something and I'd think she wouldn't misplace a nuclear bomb.

--j_k

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
the battle in the end while yes it was a victory, congratuations they one uped the cylons again.

But it gnaws at me they lost theyre ONLY "Heavy cruiser" Battlestar they nolonger have the ability to go toe to toe with the Cylons, yes I can see that this is the only way the battle could have ended with the survival of the human race and now on hte bright side the Galactica is more then fully staffed.

But the starteguc loss of a Battlestar unfortunately I do not think they'll fully recover from it wouldve have been easily an acceptable loss of an asset if the 12 COlonies sitll existed but they cannot replace a battle star.

Maybe they'll find an alien wrech soemwhere and fix it.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

Yeah, they gotta get more battleships if their gonna start going head-to-head with the basestars again. I doubt the cylons are gonna go after them with the fury they did at the beginning of the show. Seems to me like the occupation taught them a lesson about humans' abilities to survive and at what cost.
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Well, the situation seems to be something like this:

Baltar has basically caused the death of at least 20% of the free humans thanks to his nuke and this whole New Caprica disaster.

They have lost the Pegasus, yeah, the only thing allowing them to really go head to head with the Cylons. As Blayne said, their battle power is severely diminished. It seemed rather essential, but it was still an incredibly painful loss.

Now, though, staffing is going to go well. The Pegasus' fighters are with the fleet, and so are now joined with the fighters that the Galactica had. Sure, with the loss of the Pegasus, they can't make any more (unless they make another Blackbird! That'd be nice... I loved that ship.) But for now at leasat, I won't be sweating about their number of fighters.

They may have so many they'll need to renovate the museum hanger to hold them all, I'd imagine.

Now... what to do about head officers? Wasn't Carl Agathon the at least temporary XO? Will he be demoted? What about (the now former) Commander Adama? (as opposed to his dad, Admiral Adama.) And his wife, the XO Dualla Adama?

I have a strange feeling Tye won't live through this season. He's totally broken. That ending scene almost made me cry, you know?

As B24N said, though, the Cylons will probably not attack them again with the intensity they have in the past. Before New Caprica they'd slowed down their attacks thanks to the whole Ressurection Ship + 2 Basestar destruction. Now thye've lost I think three more Basestars, and had the whole trouble of New Caprica. In addition, we had Boomer and Caprica 6 causing the Cylons to stop trying to totally annihilate the remnants of humanity. We'll see how long that lasts, but at least for now things are going to be a bit less intense.

And in addition... the Cylons have Hera. We'll see what happens next.

It's nice to see, though, that Baltar has ended up with the Cylons finally. He's not any more true to the original Baltar, but is in fact far more believable now. He won't be as that old Baltar was, but he's still the archvillian, it seems. I want to see what happens to the poor guy next! (Wow, I still pity him... I guess that means I liked him.)

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing that really gets me is that the Oracle was right! This means something really profound is going on.
This is another piece of evidence that there are other forces at work here besides chance.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Well I missed the very beginning and the ending but thanks to the glory that is youTube I just finised. WOW. I totally cried at the end.

A great victory and Humanity is free once more (granted with an even more reduced population, but maybe that will offset the huge amount of material that was destroyed/left behind) but Starbuck and Tigh are shattered. I have a bad feeling about Tigh surviving as well. It's a good thing Starbuck started off with such strength and willpower because over the past couple years so much crazy crap has happened to her it must have diminished her in some way. That scene at the end when she's practically twitching and Tigh walking away in despair was gut wrentching.

But I'm glad they brought back that eerily familiar Celtic song from way back in First Season. For me that song is the essence of Battlestar Galactica... melancoly but also joyful. The spirit of Humanity and our survival in the face of death...and even if we do perish from the Universe our existance was worth it.

JTK, I think Ron was mistaken in his podcast. #3 was totally at the Oracle's tent looking for Hera on her way to the nuke. You have to remember when he does his podcasts he hasn't looked at that episode for months.

As for the critical ships, ie the Tillium refinery and the domed bio-ship, I was happy to see that both had survived. The Tillium ship was at the shipyard and the bio-ship was in the last shot behind Colonial One.

The loss of Pegasus is a problem though. Pegasus was the last remnant of the highest technology the 12 Colonies ever produced...a level the surviving Colonials will probably not reach again for decades if not centuries. That and all the supplies, data, and inboard factories that went with them. Pegasus was much more valuable than Galactica. Ron and company threw me for a loop when Pegasus wasn't destoryed right away, like in the original series. But I was also very happy with the trick and how they kept Peggy. But once again they tricked me...got me assuming it would be around for alot longer.

Gods I love this show.

Oh yeah, the other thing I LOVED was when Galactica was falling and then jumped and all the air rushed in to fill the void... AWESOME special effects!!!

[ October 23, 2006, 06:29 AM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
I think a good fist-fight between Starbuck and Tigh might help them feel a little better.

On a serious note, that episode was awesome. I never cease to be amazed how this show still surprises me after I thought I had guessed all possible outcomes.

And the loss of the Pegasus was painful (though it ramming those basestars made me feel a little better). This show really makes you feel the pain that the characters are experiencing. No pain = no gain in good television.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

Yeah BSG is by far the best scifi drama I have ever seen and quite possibly the most awarded to date!
Alcon
Member # 6645

Fracking. Awesome. Episode.

'Nuff said.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Sharon is still totally a time bomb. When she finds out that her baby is alive and that her father figure lied to her about it, she's going to go utterly berserk. And there's no way she'll ever believe that Helo didn't know about it. I can't imagine anything much more dangerous than Sharon after she learns the truth.
Lisa
Member # 8384

What Cylon Model Are You?

Apparently, I'm a Leoben. <sigh>

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I' a Boomer model. The ultimate sleeper agent.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a Boomer model also. That means I'm beautiful [Big Grin]
Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

I'm a Boomer too! How odd!
Anyone ever see BubbleGun Crisis or AD Police? [Wink]

PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

- posted      Profile for PUNJABEE   Email PUNJABEE         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know if anyone mentioned it already, but Adama's pop-in/pop-out move with Galactica was probably the coolest Sci-Fi maneuver I have ever seen, including the Daedalus Maneuver in Robotech.
Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Agreed.

As the creator said, this ship can take a nuke and be relatively okay. It could, then, logically do this whole falling through the atmosphere maneuver too.

Don't you love it when the logic of the situations make things even cooler, and they even make sense?

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a boomer model. I'm soooo hot.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not reading the thread because I haven't finished Season 2 on DVD yet. I've been recording S3 as it's broadcasting... except I managed to miss it all weekend long this just past weekend. Any chance that someone's got it on Tivo or a tape and would be willing to make me a copy? I'd be happy to provide media (or money to purchase media) and shipping cost!!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

<removed now that she got it>

Right click on the Battlestar.Galactica link and click save to desktop. I'll leave it up there for a week or so. It's about 400 Mbs in AVI format. You'll need a special program if you want to burn it to DVD probably and it's not top quality, but it's about the same as you'd get from TiVo. Enjoy [Smile]

[ October 25, 2006, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: Alcon ]

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you thank you thank you!!! And I'm perfectly happy to watch it on the computer just so long as I can watch!!!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Intro for "The Office" redone with BSG Intro music.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Was that the *real* intro to The Office? Because it fit the music *perfectly*
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  20  21  22   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.