FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The REAL Battlestar Galactica Season 3 Discussion Thread (Page 9)

This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  20  21  22   
Author Topic: The REAL Battlestar Galactica Season 3 Discussion Thread
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched it. I just didn't think there's a whole lot to discuss. Other than the stuff about what Adama did in the past, I found the rest of episode sort of boring. The new one in two weeks doesn't look much better either. Boxing? Really? *sigh*
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I liked it. Adama's past was kinda cool, and it was neat the stuff about Bulldog. It was a nice sorta relaxing/healing episode toward the end, up until the end it felt about the usual intensity.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I think it's interesting because it puts a new spin on the Cylons' motives. It's completely possible that they see humans as a threat because of that incident. If that's the case, then they aren't the unprovoked aggressors we thought they were.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Well as I said, the Adama stuff in the past was interesting, how it tied to the Cylons and a possible reason why they may have attacked. The whole rest of the episode though I was sort of yawning. I could care less about the new guy or about what's going on with Tigh (as I've more or less written him off now). I want more on what's going on in a more global/galactic sense: what is the Battlestar group doing, what are the Cyclons doing, etc. This is just my opinion though. I could understand if other people really liked it.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thrilled for the episode coming in two weeks - I wanna know what happened between Lee and Kara! I want them to kick the crap out of each other, and I want Dee to realize that Lee feels more emotions with Kara - even as friends - than he has ever shown to her! Rah rah violence!

Yeah, I haven't got much to say about last night, except I'm glad Tigh is starting to come around.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

- posted      Profile for ReddwarfVII           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it was a character piece. Basically filler. Not every ep can be just jam packed. It is one of the greater sides of the show is that they do still explore the human side of everything. You need moments to take your breath. I am feeling a little empty on the cylon side. I don't really get what D'anna is going through. And does anyone know if that 3 is D'anna, or if she is just a wacked out 3?
Posts: 263 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:
Actually, I think it's interesting because it puts a new spin on the Cylons' motives. It's completely possible that they see humans as a threat because of that incident. If that's the case, then they aren't the unprovoked aggressors we thought they were.

That's how I thought about it as well. Which I loved. I love it when you don't know if the villains are really villains! I was hoping that the Big Black Ops Secret(tm) would be much cooler though.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
i liked it.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too! The reason that Galactica is so liked is because of the drama in the show, as well as all the heart pounding action. The backstory of Adama and Bulldog is exactly what makes the show so powerful. Plus the episode as already pointed out gives light to some of the motives behind why the cylons may have attacked. What was up with D'anna's dreams though, that story line is getting pretty odd. So did she momentarily toucht he hand of God before she downloaded or what. I think that's gonna be pretty cool. So now baltar is sharing his bed with both 6 and her??? [Eek!]
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Baltar is a STUD!

He makes being bad look pretty good.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait till we see the true face of the Cylon God. Muwhahahha!
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I was glad we didn't see too much of Baltar this time. His snippet was more than enough for me. Ick.

But I liked the bulk of the episode. I still can't get over Kara and Tigh as friends. How far the mighty have fallen.

Adama having to admit what he'd done to Lee was easily the best part of the episode. I loved it. And Bulldog's confusion and anger was powerful. I think this was one of my favorites.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Satlin
Member # 1593

- posted      Profile for Satlin   Email Satlin         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that the episode as a whole was on par with the rest of the season. It tied in well with Adama's struggle with forgiving himself, which I think gives his character a lot of added depth. I thought the scene at the end when Tigh went to Adama's quarters was really well done, continuing the theme of healinig since the exodus from New Caprica.
Posts: 86 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, hmm. Kara and Tigh friends- or if not friends, then at least comrades with a sense of respect, finally, thanks to the good ole New Caprica. That's a nice change of pace.

Tigh does seem to be healing, though he claims he isn't ready to return to CIC.

If you'll forgive me, I'm still incredibly tickled at them having Helo as the XO. I want to see him do some more XO-style things, though, he's in the background in the CIC too much. (though maybe that's part of the reason Adama wants Tigh back, because Tigh ISN'T quite so much in the background, but does stuff.)

I wonder how much this revelation of Adama and the Colonies' involvment in possibly starting the war would change Major Apollo's viewpoint on the whole thing. He, too, seems to have... is it a harder edge now, or what? More experienced, more comfortable, that's it.

Oh, and don't you know about the Cylon God? It's Dirk Benedict. [Big Grin]

At least, well, that was what they planned for the end of the first season before they switched it to the whole baby thing.

BAsically, in that operahouse place, Dirk Benedict was going to appear to Baltar in a column of light and say something like "Hi. I'm God."

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
baltar is sharing his bed with both 6 and her???
Bam chuka boiw woin.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

quote:
BAsically, in that operahouse place, Dirk Benedict was going to appear to Baltar in a column of light and say something like "Hi. I'm God." [/QB]
[Laugh] [ROFL]
Posts: 263 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
I figure they did this episode as a character piece because they used all of the SFX budget on Exodus.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was great the way Tigh put Bulldog down. I would have thought that Bulldog could have just sneezed and knocked Tigh out, but I guess there's more to the old buzzard than just a drunken, bitter has-been.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
General Sax
Member # 9694

- posted      Profile for General Sax   Email General Sax         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh to be Baltar!

As for the Cylons, who besides me finds a one kilometer boundary in space to be a bit fine? The black ops team was a click inside the boundary and snap! A Cylon shows up, If I were to do a state of the art spy mission it would be with a stealth ship with a spun up FTL, not one that I would need to clobber with a missile if the Cylon's spotted it. Also I would not tip my toe over the line, I would jump to the home world, get as much info as possible and jump out with some real Intel.

Still it did show that the Cylon's certainly were on a hair trigger and the fact that three "unknown" ships jumped in showed that they were evolving a superior military machine, it is hard to imagine that they would not have found an excuse to use it once they had a clear military advantage.

Six's mission was described as years long, I wonder just where in time the Bulldog mission falls on the time-line of Cylon infiltration.

I rather look forward to the boxing episode, I find it remarkable how many ideas they get from the old series, there was a pyramid episode, in the first series with lots of gambling and intrigue.

Posts: 475 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
quote:
baltar is sharing his bed with both 6 and her???
Bam chuka boiw woin.
[ROFL] [Eek!] [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I always get annoyed when shows rewrite the past. Oh, we've been repeating for the entire series that nobody heard from the cylons in 40 years, well, that's only mostly true. [Roll Eyes]

I like Kara and Tigh as friends. I think the things they hated so much about each other were the ways they were alike. Now that they have a bond, it makes sense they'd be friends.

The boxing episode looks great! I've been waiting to get that backstory. [Smile]

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by Amanecer:
I always get annoyed when shows rewrite the past. Oh, we've been repeating for the entire series that nobody heard from the cylons in 40 years, well, that's only mostly true. [Roll Eyes]

I didn't see it as rewriting anything. Yeah. To the general public, no one had heard from the Cylons in 40 years. But now we're finding out that clearly, a small, small portion of the military had and had kept quiet about it. I think that's awesome.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

Part of the small portion of the military includes Bill Adama, a character that we're supposed to be intimiately familiar with. There is no way that his guilt wouldn't have affected him before this episode, and yet despite our intimacy with him, we never had a clue. I do find that to be rewriting.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

Not necessarily. He said himself that up to the moment that Bulldog showed, he had told himself that they had no idea what those ships that showed up were. He had convinced himself that those ships that showed were not cylons, because if they were, then it would mean that he instigated the war.

However, you can tell that it had been bothering him for awhile. It even makes his speech at the decommissioning ceremony make more sense.

Besides the issues with the timelines, I think it interesting to know that the Fleet Admirals weren't just sitting back, content with the idea that the cylons MAY never show up.

Still, I agree with the General on this one. Why just tip your toe over the line, why not jump deep into Cylon space with a stealth ship and really get some intel. The further question goes, why the heck haven't they been doing that all along? If they were going to do some intelligence gathering, why didn't they really do some decent intel then?

Amanecer
Member # 4068

The decommissioning ceremony speech happened before the Cylons attacked. It doesn't make sense that that's what he was referring to. The speech was pretty clearly about the guilt he felt regarding his son, as well as the lovely foreshadowing.

I know they gave an excuse with the whole him trying to believe the ships weren't cylons. But I still don't buy it. That would have been one of his first thoughts after the Cylons attacked. This story line still feels very tacked on and just irks me.

ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

Granted that he was not referring to the attack that was about to take place, but like you said, lovely foreshadowing. I'm just saying that I don't think that his relationship with his son was the only thing bothering him. And where the ceremony was referring directly to the cylon wars and humanities mistakes, it seems like this particular failed mission would be on his mind.
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

For me, it just adds greater depth to that speech and his character is all.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I FINALLY got to see the episode, missed it on Fri. Thank gods for Mon rerun.

I thought this episode was great. Great acting great ambiance. I think they got the look of the Basestar interior down at last...makes the previous shots look almost cheesy.

And #3's dream sequence!!! Holy frack... what were those beings of light?? The Lords of Kobol perhaps??? [Big Grin]

As for the theory that Adama and the Colonial High Command instigated the attack is bum... remember the Cylons had agents on the Twelve Colonies for two years at least, a year before the failed recon mission past the boarder. #6 was dating Baltar for two (or was it three?). And it might be the Cylons were plotting this many more years. Remember Boomer's family that was killed when the Troy space colony was destroyed? It could be that the Cylons just used cyber manipulation and changed the records or mabye the Boomer modle was created to fill the gap.

Anyway, the only human who knows the truth is Baltar and he never told anyone about #6 let alone when he met her. I think the whole issue can be resolved by asking Athena.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Unless the Cylons were just observing and keeping a safety measure in place just in case it was necessary...and seeing the humans shoot down one of their own in cold blood was enough to convince them of the danger...or...something.

-pH

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

I would disagree pH.
If anything shooting down their own would show their respect/fear of the boarder.

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Oh my... Looks like BSG is moving to Sundays!
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
But I like my SciFi Fridays. [Frown]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Blah, now I have nothing to watch on Friday nights and I have to tape something on Sunday nights.
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

Nuts. Now I have to wait two more blasted days a week. I am very vexed. Very vexed indeed.
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, Sunday's my homework night! Suck!
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
So, everyone, how much more damaging is a Sunday 10PM timeslot?

Which timeslots are best, and how good is BSG's new slot? Also, how good is its current slot?

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

I actually wouldn't mind a Sunday timeslot. Sunday's my homework day, but by 10 pm I'm usually ready to call it quits. And I usually have swim meets on friday night so I'm not able to watch.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andrew W
Member # 4172

- posted      Profile for Andrew W   Email Andrew W         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought now was an appropriate time to post, since I'm basically killing time, waiting for 10.00 tonight when I'm going to watch the latest episode on a £750 projector with full surround sound and all those mod cons.

Nice catch on the timeline stuff whoever said that, I didn't think Adama did cause the war, but if they were infiltrating before the mission, then they were definitely planning something.

Of course Tai would take out that guy though, he's a drunk, he's an arsehole, he's irascible and wrong, but he's definitely absolutely nails. On a par with Starbuck, who's hard as, too.

I thought at the beginning of that one that one of the Raiders had defected, that would be really cool. But they're basically like attack dogs, I think, so that couldn't really happen.
How did he find them though? I know the Cylons let him escape, but, what, they know where the Galactica is, and let him steal the plans? If that's the case why don't they just all out attack and take the Galactica? Or are they trying to follow them to Earth?

Anywho, I'm waiting in serious anticipation for this one tonight, it's going to be awesome.

AW

Posts: 83 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

Hate to break it to you, but the next episode's not till Friday. They didn't play one last week [Frown]
Andrew W
Member # 4172

- posted      Profile for Andrew W   Email Andrew W         Edit/Delete Post 
NO! How can that be! *Considers stabbing self to death, but realises being dead makes it harder to watch it next week*

Why would they do that? They don't want regular viewers? They're spawn of satan?

I'm rewatching the old one at the moment. No projector though. It's great but no substitute.

AW

Posts: 83 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

New episode tonight!
[Party]

ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

Sci-fi.com has a scene from "The Passage" up for viewing for anyone interested. Just go to the BSG home page on Scifi.com to see it.
General Sax
Member # 9694

- posted      Profile for General Sax   Email General Sax         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess they have a big chunk of history that they can flash back to now that we have skipped a year. Kara and Lee did it! Adama and Roslyn did it! What was that fruit they fermented anyway? It certainly caused a great deal of very hard partying.

Are women tougher in the Galacticaverse? Kara seemed to have little trouble fighting with the boys. Could it be Joss helped create it?

Posts: 475 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Or that Starbuck can kick anyone's ass. [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this last one has reached my number one spot as worst episode. It didn't advance any plots and made everyone absolute jerks with soap opera mentalities. This one never happened.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
General Sax
Member # 9694

It was a year... things had to have happened. I think this was about putting the crew back together, more repair work on the old team. However. I am still struck at times by the resemblance of this Starbuck to Dirk Benedict in mannerism and appearance. It is jarring at times, what a job of casting and acting. It shows humility that she still follows the old character even with her new popularity.
B34N
Member # 9597

I liked the episode and I agree with the General. It was an episode about repairing totured friendships and setting up future conflicts. I was surprised that the Pres. and the Admiral got busy. [Eek!] But Lee and Starbuck was inevitable, I never would have guessed that's how Starbuck got married though. [Dont Know]

Interested in next week's episode though! [Big Grin]

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
That explains why it was so hard for Kara to call Lee when she needed antibiotics for Sam.

One thing that bothered me, though, was that the flashbacks near the end made it look as though Lee and Kara met first, when Kara was actually Zak's girlfriend, and not Lee's.

Has anyone been reading the comic, incidentally? It's unbelievable. Reads like you're actually watching the show.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

No I haven't been reading the comic. Is it canonical? I tend not to go for non-canonical stuff. As to the episode... they were both drunk out of their minds when they fracked. But I'd like to know what drove Starbuck to instantly go marry Sam. Guilt maybe? She was drunk, and didn't really love Lee... but realized she didn't completely love Sam either, but went and married him out of guilt? I'd like a little more explanation there...
pH
Member # 1350

Maybe she realized like...she actually did care about Sam, so she ran off and married him before she could think about it too hard.

-pH

This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  20  21  22   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.