FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Harry Potter 5 set photos...

Author Topic: Harry Potter 5 set photos...
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I must say, Imelda Staunton seems to fit the role of Umbridge like a glove...
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I pictured her fatter. In the past week I've started rereading the books and just started 5 tonight, so I'll pay attention and see what exactly her description is.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, not how I pictured her either. Actually, the funny thing was Order of the Phoenix came out after I spent a few months teaching in a high school with a principal who would have been a shoe-in for the role. Down to the utter ineffectiveness and pronouncing of ridiculous new rules to try to make up for the authority she lacked. And really, she looked just like Rowling described Dolores Umbridge. I figure the kids must have had a field day with that one!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
p.s.: That said, I'm sure Staunton will be great in the role!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
She doesn't look like a toad. Still very excited.
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
They trimmed Harry's Hair, GOOD CALL!

Umbridge doesnt look quite the way I pictured her, but I didnt really see her as being fat.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa! I have this same shirt!

http://comingsoon.net/nextraimages/hp5newphoto3.jpg

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Umbridge looks fantastic. And I quite like the look of Luna Lovegood too.
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
I pictured Umbridge fatter. They should have left Harry's hair long for one more movie.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I, on the other hand, think Harry's new hair looks quite ridiculous.

Umbrige looks good, though I pictured her rather more jowel-y. I'm excited for this one, as for them all, despite all the flaws and story alterations and less-than-perfectness.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank GOD they trimmed the damn hair.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Umbridge doesn't look at all like I thought she would, I pictured her as much, much fatter. Isn't there a picture or sketch of her at the beginning of one of those chapters that pictures her a fat? Thought there was.

And THANK GOD they cut the guy's hair. It'll make it bearable, though Harry looks...a bit like Gollum. Why is he so friggin pale? Give the kid some color.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard that Hermione might not do this movie.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Dispite my best efforts, I think I'm looking forward to this movie. Umbridge isn't at all what I'd imagined her, but she looks kind of Stepford wife-ish, which should be fun to see. I love the picture of the DA.

But they went completely to the opposite extreme with Dan's hair. Are they completely unable to have messy hair without making him look rediculous? Gah.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. While the long hair was a bad idea, the short is just as awful. What's wrong with something medium length and heavily mussed?

I imagined Umbridge fatter and more toad-like (plus I've been spoiled by the gorgeous chapter illustrations). But the acting is where its key and Staunton will be able to pull it off, no doubt. I felt the same way about Alan Rickman as Snape, but he won me over in much the same way. Richards looked the part of Dumbledore but lost me in the delivery. I'll hold off judgment until we see some actual scenes.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
"He thought that she loked just like a large pale toad. She was rather squat with a broad, flabby face, as little neck as Uncle Vernon, and a very wide, slack mouth."

That's straight from OotF. And yeah, Lyrhawn, there's a quite unflattering picture which depicts her much the way her description does. It's at the beginning of the chapter called, believe it or not, "Professor Umbridge".

Oh, and Luna is supposed to have waist length hair. I'm really just nit picking, I haven't seen any of the movies or any of the actors/actresses act in any other movies. I'm just something of a purist when it coems to adaptations.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
Put me on the list of people less than thrilled with the new shorter hair on Harry, but Ron's looks much better this time around.

I must say I like the new characters "Slightly Creepy Boy" and "Somewhat Doubtful Boy".

Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Emma Watson is in the movie.

She's in all the pictures. She sure looks grown up.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Narnia:
quote:
Emma Watson is in the movie.

She's in all the pictures. She sure looks grown up.

On G4 they said that she had doubts about doing the 6TH movie, not the 5th. I sure hope its unfounded, or if its true, I hope she reconsiders, then again I have no idea why she might not want to finish the series.

I always liked that in real life Emma Watson gets REALLY good grades at school. [Wink]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emma_Watson

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
There's an article in the latest Newsweek that talks about how Emma Watson's not sure that she wants to do the final two movies, but she is definitely in the fifth one.
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/735/735556p1.html

Has alittle bit more since that statement was made.

Queen Mab
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for Queen Mab   Email Queen Mab         Edit/Delete Post 
His hair! They cut his hair! NOOOOO!
Posts: 10 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Queen Mab:
His hair! They cut his hair! NOOOOO!

He is Harry Potter, not Mel Gibson from the 80's reborn.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I was referring more to the attitude Staunton seems to project more than her physical looks...though the all all-pink apparel is a nice touch. [Wink]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say, I'm disappointed with Harry's hair as well. Although the hair was a little to long in the last one, the short hair is just a huge mistake. I agree with Shanna, he needs medium length hair that's somewhat mussy. That's the way I like him.

And Emma Watson MUST do the 6th and 7th movies. I mean, she knew what she was getting into when she auditioned. She knew that there were going to be 7 books, so to just quit now is plain disappointing. She would be letting down entire populations if she did.

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
When she auditioned they were planning a year each film, now it's a year and a half. She also didn't know how much she would or wouldn't like acting and the spotlight. If she doesn't want to do them, she shouldn't because she'll just make them seem unsincere.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

When she agreed, she was much younger. Also, this "news" is coming out after she made spectacular scores on her exams. Around this time she also mentioned in an interview that she doesn't see acting in her future. She's young, she'd like to experience other things in life.

I trust she'll stick around for 6 and 7 since work on 6 has already begun. Personally, I think some reporters are just trying to stir up drama.

And this is coming from someone who doesn't even like Emma Watson in the part of Hermione. (though I should probably blame the directors, wardrobe, and makeup for most of my complaints.)

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I think she'd regret bowing out, eventually, but the start of an unwanted three-year commitment can seem like a life sentence, especially at that age. I hope she chooses to stay.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Is Luna supposed to be blond? I thought she had long dark hair - even black...

Edit: Oops, I asked my daughter and I was wrong... she is a blond. I don't know how I missed that.

[ September 27, 2006, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: maui babe ]

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
She is supposed to look like a toad.
Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
[Rant]

A big part of Harry Potter books is their rather un-humanlike descriptions of characters. Don't get me wrong, I love the books, but seriously, some of Jo's characterizations would just not work on screen:

-Sirius Black with an "elbow-length" tangle of black hair
-Dudley being wider than he was tall, whose great weight would compete with that of a baby killer whale
-Umbridge looking like a fat-faced toad
-Rufus Scrimgour looking like an old lion
-Dumbledore with a beard so long that he could tuck it inside of his belt
-Crabbe and Goyle having "long, gorrilla-like arms"

In film, these descriptions would serve the most purpose to the actors, who would (hopefully) incorporate them into their individual portrayals of the characters. It serves almost no purpose to the casting director, because (1) these descriptions are rediculous, (2) in all liklihood they are quite hard to find in the average human being coming to an audition and (3) If you cast for look instead of casting for talent all you have is a pretty-looking prop, and we'd all be complaining about the wooden performance by an actor who we think is great until they open their mouth.

[/rant]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

Examples 1, 4, and 5 don't sound all that impossible or even silly.
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not surprised at what Emma Watson said. I had been wondering if such an attractive, intelligent young woman would want to commit several more years of her life to a career that would prohibit her from getting married and starting a family, like most young women want to do. You know, the biological clock thing. She may change her mind though and decide waiting a few more years is worth it, and that there is not as big a rush as she felt like at first.

Then again, they may have to recast her role if she gets pregnant.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lambert:
I am not surprised at what Emma Watson said. I had been wondering if such an attractive, intelligent young woman would want to commit several more years of her life to a career that would prohibit her from getting married and starting a family, like most young women want to do. You know, the biological clock thing. She may change her mind though and decide waiting a few more years is worth it, and that there is not as big a rush as she felt like at first.

Then again, they may have to recast her role if she gets pregnant.

Isn't she like 15 or 16? Wouldn't that make her 19 or 20 when they finish off the series? Yes she was young when she started the thing, but I'd hope her biological clock isn't the driving factor behind not doing the last two movies...
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And Emma Watson MUST do the 6th and 7th movies. I mean, she knew what she was getting into when she auditioned. She knew that there were going to be 7 books, so to just quit now is plain disappointing.
She was ten years old when she was cast.

If we required people to live up to what they swore they'd do at the age of ten, we'd have far too many firemen, astronauts, and fighter pilots.

If she doesn't want to the the remaning movies and she quits, then I say good for her.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I had been wondering if such an attractive, intelligent young woman would want to commit several more years of her life to a career that would prohibit her from getting married and starting a family, like most young women want to do.
If she does all seven movies, she'll be twenty when she finishes. You think that by 20 she's passed up her prime getting married and starting a family years?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I hope she does the last two movies just for consistency, but I'd be kind of relieved if she would go away. Her eyebrow acrobatics drive me absolutely INSANE. I'm glad she's found that she's good at something, but I really don't think that acting is 'it.'

*ducks*

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
She's better than Ron, who's only acting trick is to look confused. But let's face it, they were all cast on looks at the age of 10. If any of them can halfway act then it's surprising.

I don't think WB originally planned to use the same three for all seven movies. There was a lot of talk when the 2nd movie came out they were going to recast all of them to more age appropriate kids. I guess after all the success they decided consistency was better than accuracy.

I would have definitively gone fatter with Umbridge. Of course I didn’t think Mad-eye’s eye look anything like what I imagined, but the actor did such a good job I quickly forgot about it. As long as I instantly hate Umbridge then it will be good.

Can’t wait to see Fred & George’s exit.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Katharina, of course at 20 Emma Watson would not be past her prime for starting a family. But how many women wait that long? Very many women get married before age 20. There may be a movement in recent years for women to wait a little longer. But the question is what will Emma Watson choose? I couldn't blame her whichever way she chose. It's her life, and we don't own her, just because we like her movie character.

I also agree that the person who plays Umbridge should be fatter, shaped more like a toad, as described explicitly in the book. Actually, maybe you could get some dumpy-looking guy and have him play the character in drag. I've seen a few guys who looked like toads.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Over the last three decades, women have been waiting longer to become moms. In 1970, the average age for a first-time mother was about 21 — today, she's more likely to be 25 to 29 years old.
(link)

You know, just saying that babies at 20 isn't something most women do, and hasn't been for over 30 years.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I was under the impression that she is most likely thinking about going to college, not getting married and/or having babies.
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.