FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Passing on your Genes.... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Passing on your Genes....
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chanie:
quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
What happens, then, if you end up having all girls or all boys?

There was a family on my street growing up that had 7 boys before they had a girl.
My friend has 7 girls and one boy (although he was born 6th). Another has four sisters and no brothers. Two are the only girls in a houseful of boys (7 and 8 brothers, respectively).

One of my favorite bits of contemporary Jewish music is a song about a guy with 5 daughters, no sons, and how happy he is.

My point being, it is in our hands to try. It is in His hands to determine what we get -- in terms of gender, intelligence, abilities, and a whole host of other things.

Anyway, there is at least one opinion that says the obligation is two children of any gender. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Seven girls! [Eek!]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is there anyone here who isn't feeling sorry for KoM's future child?
I'm just envisioning the kid's teenage rebellion where he accepts Jesus as his Lord and Savior. [Evil]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by mackillian:
Seven girls! [Eek!]

My aunt has three boys and nine girls. Not to mention a whole slew of grandchildren.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mackillian:
Seven girls! [Eek!]

Met a Chinese woman on the street that had 10 sisters, they had never taken a family photo with everyone in it.

See for me I would have given up on having a son after about 4 girls at the most 5.

Rivka, I use Fiddler on the Roof as my model for what would happen if I had only daughters [Wink]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

You would become a milkman and walk the streets singing?
Icarus
Member # 3162

That's what happened to me . . .
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I feel like a slacker for only having five daughters and one son. [Wink]

Although my son was #3, and I really wasn't trying to get "a brother for Todd" like so many people seemed to think I was.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I have three sisters older than me. My father insisted that I be called "David" regardless of whether I came out a boy or a girl.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

That's funny, Ic, I thought you became a bookbinder.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
I have three sisters older than me. My father insisted that I be called "David" regardless of whether I came out a boy or a girl.

Funny, my mom tells me they called me Taylor all 9 months I was in the womb, because they knew I was going to be a boy.

To this day I insist they called me Taylor because its a unisexual name, had I been a girl they would have fed me that same story.

Its one of lifes ironies. We live in a world where many men want sons and yet its all up to the man to produce the chromosome needed, and yet we cannot control it.

Man its double irony. You want something, its up to you do something to aquire it, you can't conciously do it, but it must be done.

[Wall Bash]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, I totally don't get the "bookbinder" joke. Was that his role in the local production of Fiddler or something?

<drat>

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Yeah . . . I played Avram the bookseller. [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

Bookseller, bookbinder, what's the difference? [Wink]
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend who is has been sick since childhood with scleroderma. She's on extremely strong medication to control it - really, it's low dose chemotherapy, at least that's how she explained it to me - and at least one of her meds causes extreme birth defects. If she wants to have her own kids, she'd have to go off the medicine and wait a full six months before trying to get pregnant.

She got married in March of this year and she and her husband want to start a family. Now, she met said husband only a year ago this Labor Day; she married him within 9 months. All through their engagement and courtship, she talked excitedly about having a family, and how she had no problem adopting or using one of her sisters as a surrogate mother (even then, she' dhave to go off the drugs for six months).

But now, her husband is so resolute about the idea that they must have their own children and she must bear them. He wants to go off her meds for the six months, then try to get pregnant - she doesn't even know if she can - and then have her go nine months without the drugs.

I just don't understand it. He's putting her life in completely undue, unnecessary risk (and she's going along with it, but that's another story). While it's possible (though unlikely) she could go off the meds and not have an immediate health problems, scleroderma is something of a degenerative disease. If she stops controlling it even for one second her life span will get shorter.

This type of thing I just really, really don't understand, especially when there are so many unwanted children in the world.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get that either... They could at least get a surrogate or something if it will cost her... 15 months of agony.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
It's worse than that... she'd be so much worse after all those months of non-treatment and some of that would be permanent. He can ask her to bear the child or he can ask her to rear the child. He can't expect her to be able to do both, her body won't take it. Of course her body might be quite disabled within a few years even if they DO adopt.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I want to look at my child and marvel and what my significant other and I have created. The two of us having the ability to do what humans do best, to join together and make something that is a part of each other. I want to have a connection with my son or daughter like my mother has with me. We are endlessly amused with our similiarities. We have the same laugh, same smile and sometimes even say the same things at the same time. Those experiences have created a bond that we, as biological mother and daughter, can share.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We have the same laugh, same smile and sometimes even say the same things at the same time.
I know adoptive families of which these things are true, as well. I wonder how much of our behavior is learned, how much is genetic, and whether learning can compensate for genetic differences in some families.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes, when I think about how awesome I am, it makes me realize that it would be a crime against humanity not to pass on these sweet genes I have. [Big Grin]
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.