FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Do you want to be like Jackson Pollock?

Author Topic: Do you want to be like Jackson Pollock?
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
Visit this website and make a painting ala Jackson Pollock. Similar to the Picasso website someone posted a while ago, yet with more color and less form. I think I could zone out for a while on this thing. Be sure to click your mouse to change colors. [Smile]

www.jacksonpollock.org

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine almost looked more like a Kandinsky than a Pollock.

Cool.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Palliard
Member # 8109

- posted      Profile for Palliard   Email Palliard         Edit/Delete Post 
I never understood the fascination with Jackson Pollock. Surely any idiot can randomly drool paint on a canvas?
Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Frankly, I rank Pollock way above Warhol, but, uh, yeah.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Storm Saxon:
Frankly, I rank Pollock way above Warhol, but, uh, yeah.

A M E N ! ! !
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Palliard:
I never understood the fascination with Jackson Pollock. Surely any idiot can randomly drool paint on a canvas?

Not just any idiot did it. He did.

edit: Fun link! I'm bookmarking it now.

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about an idiot, but a drunk for sure.

To me Pollock and Warhol were about the same. Both were pushing the boundaries of art at the time. Out of their context neither makes whole lot of since.

Of course Pollock's in person do look nice, very relaxing. This thread has inspired me, I think I'll go home an paint one to match my couch.

Rothko was the true scam artist if you ask me.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about an idiot, but a drunk for sure.

To me Pollock and Warhol were about the same. Both were pushing the boundaries of art at the time. Out of context neither makes whole lot of since.

Of course Pollock's in person do look nice, very relaxing. This thread has inspired me, I think I'll go home and paint one to match my couch.

Rothko was the true scam artist if you ask me.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Palliard:

Art is often graded by aesthetic, and there was something of an aesthetic in Pollock work. Some sort of an incredibly abstract and almost fractal visual persuasion.

Pollock's work is very deliberate and intentional, the result of some sort of a frenetic and obsessive haze. Literally, he would work in a trance state, created in a concerted effort to get the canvas to reflect what he had going on in his head.

It's half of why blind paint drool doesn't necessarily make a Pollock painting happen. The other half is probably due to the interestingly natural and fractal result of his strangely calculated motions: he would often create black anchor layers which were designed to frame and contrast new layers; his drips were treading ground between organized form, negative space, and chaos.

beep!

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
On a random note, did you know that his friends used to call him Jack the Dripper?
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.