FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Peter Jackson + Halo WTF?

Author Topic: Peter Jackson + Halo WTF?
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, it just had to be done. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
*blink* I'm confused. No... wait... I think you're confused.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
You've really arrived when somebody finally does one of these posts (I forget the technical term) to one yours.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the term is "Dobie" but I am not doing too well in my Hatrackian grammer.
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Vasslia Cora:
I believe the term is "Dobie" but I am not doing too well in my Hatrackian grammer.

thats the one!
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
You've really arrived when somebody finally does one of these posts (I forget the technical term) to one yours.

You know, I've been seeing people say that lately, but I don't see that it's acutally the case. I mean, nobody looks at a thread, says "Wow, Hatracker X started this one! I'd better come up with a dobie!" or even "Wow, this thread has a clever title! It deserves to be honored with a dobie!".
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's more "Wow, I came up with a clever dobie for that title!"

Of course, that's usually a false impression, but still...

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
quote:

You know, I've been seeing people say that lately, but I don't see that it's acutally the case. I mean, nobody looks at a thread, says "Wow, Hatracker X started this one! I'd better come up with a dobie!" or even "Wow, this thread has a clever title! It deserves to be honored with a dobie!".
Do you go down the forums looking at potential dobie fodder? Are you sure who the author is in NO way influences your decision to create a dobie?
Narnia
Member # 1071

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:

It's never a false impression when I do the dobie.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
quote:
quote:

Do you go down the forums looking at potential dobie fodder? Are you sure who the author is in NO way influences your decision to create a dobie?
I sometimes feel tempted to post a dobie, but I never actually do it. The most I'll do is post in the thread in question what my dobie were if I were to make one. But in answer to your second question, the author of the thread I'm tempted to dobie has absolutely no influence whatsoever on my (suppressed) urge to post one. It just doesn't enter into the equation.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Oh, and to clarify, when I feel the urge to post one, it's because the dobie leapt out at me; I don't go down the list looking for opportunites to commit dobie. My motivation for wanting to post one is exactly what porter said.

I'm interested now. Do other people (other than BlackBlade, I mean) actually dobie as a way of indicating positive regard?

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Not me. When I dobie, it's because it jumped out at me. I usually don't even notice who the thread originator is.

(And I think my dobies are clever.)

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

(And I don't think this is really a dobie, since it lacks a link, or any content of its own. All it is is title.)
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Narnia:
quote:

It's never a false impression when I do the dobie.
Whatever helps you sleep better.

*condescending pat*

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

What does Condescending Pat have to do with it?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I just miss him over here.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I agree...it is usually a false impression! [Wink]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
My dobies, also, have had nothing to do with the thread originator. You see the title, something funny pops into your head, you either resist the impulse, because it's never as funny as you think it is, or you give in, and post it, enjoying the fact that people will be groaning at you. [Big Grin]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I never took the thread starter into consideration when starting a dobie.

It just occured to me that that graffiti about Puck in Magic Street was a dobie of sorts.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

I'm one of those 'jumps out at you' kind of people. I usually post a dobie when I accidentally read the title as something else...as in this case. Icarus, I think your dobies are clever too. As are mine. I don't care what Condescending Pat says. [Wink]
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I've dobied once so far on this forum, and it was half succumbing to my desire to create puns, half as a gesture of endearment to the OP.

Both of those effect whether I decide to dobie or not.

Noemon
Member # 1115

Have you dobied anywhere other than here?
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Have you dobied anywhere other than here?

On my World of Warcraft guild's forum there is occasional dobbieage.

But it was not nearly as clever or as frequent as hatrack.

Who came up with the word dobbie anyway?

The only other usage I have "heard" of was during the 1800's houses made out of caking mud were called "dobbies".

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
For someone who hasn't frequented this forum as long as others, where does the term "dobie" come from?

According to dictionary.com, it's "a playing marble, esp. one made of clay." Somehow I don't think that's it.

The urbandictionary.com lists it as "a man who's always covered in fluff." Somehow I don't think that's it, either.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Dobie is the name of an old Hatracker who specialized in creating thread titles that punned off of existing thread titles.

The rules for it to be a dobie are:

1) It is a pun off of an exisiting thread title.
2) It has nothing to do with said thread title.
3) It contains a link to some other site that does have something to do with the dobie title (though not the title of the thread that has been dobied.)
4) It must contain some humor, at least in the mind of the creator.

And yes, the best Dobies are the ones that jump out at you, bonk you on the head with some blunt object, wrestle you to the floor, force you via various martial arts manuevers, pressure points, and coercive interrogation techniques even the CIA consider to wild...yes force you to type them in.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
So it's like a fraternity initiation then? Gotcha...
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

The Thing About Spoiled Brats

The Thing About Spoiled Brats

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.