FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Giant Earwig Invades Fields Near Hulen, Germany

Author Topic: Giant Earwig Invades Fields Near Hulen, Germany
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Linky

(It's also visible in Google Earth)

Okay, as far as I can tell there are three prevailing theories:

1. That this is a prank on the part of some lonely guy with too much time on his hands.
2. That during some scanning process, this earwig was on the picture when it was scanned and thus became imprinted upon the earth forevermore.
3. That there is a real picture of an earwig on the fields at Hulen, Germany. Like a crop circle, only earwig-shaped and coloured.

I prefer number 1, but honestly, I have no idea what to think.

The Earwigs Are Invading!

(forgive me if this has been posted before)

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
4. It's a sign of the coming of Bob
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
Do I want to know who Bob is?
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*refrains from making very dirty joke*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm probably mixing my Douglas Adams up, but I thought the Almighty Bob was the name of the earwig in whose ineffable navel some planet was formed.

Probably wrong though...for some reason Adams' plots and characters are hard to remember. [Dont Know]

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
so, I know this is tangent to the "discussion" at hand, but is anyone else just really creeped out by earwigs? basically no insects bother me much except these little buggers. I'm not sure if it's just the look, or the fact that the name implies they can be found in my ear...
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

Cockroaches are 10x worse than earwigs. Believe me.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
No no, Bob was the ineffable (and pretty much fictional) diety made up by the ruler of an island on Lamuella, where Arthur was interred as a sandwichmaker.

I think the rest is probably from your memory of the Jatravartids or some such, who believe they were sneezed out of the nose of the Great Green Arkleseizure, and await the coming of the Great White Handkerchief.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

wow wtf we talking about now? [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

Is this from a comic book?
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I had a dream once that Satan was an earwig.

You never know... [Razz]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, after the Sacrilicious thread, we used to use "Bob" as a way to avoid taking the Lord's name in vain around here.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
also:
another possible explanation for the identity of "Bob" can be found the movie 'Killers', just after one of the main characters exclaims "Who The Fudge is Bob?" (obviously they didn't really use the word fudge, but I'm trying to keep my random interjections from degrading into meaningless outbursts of profanity)
All I'm really trying to say is... that I heartily recommend the afore-mentioned movie.

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
HAHHAAHAHHAHAH! This is totally awesome.

Yeah, it looks to me like it got onto the scan somehow.

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Through the darkness of future past
the magician longs to see
one chants out between two worlds
'Fire walk with me.'

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like it got squished.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

quote:
Originally posted by Architraz Warden:
No no, Bob was the ineffable (and pretty much fictional) diety made up by the ruler of an island on Lamuella, where Arthur was interred as a sandwichmaker.

Aha....knew I wasn't as crazy as I seemed:

quote:

Arthur didn't even know if Lamuella had had a paleozoic era. According to Old Thrashbarg the planet had been found fully-formed in the navel of a giant earwig at four-thirty one Vroonday afternoon, and although Arthur, as a seasoned galactic traveller with good `O' level passes in Physics and Geography, had fairly serious doubts about this, it was rather a waste of time
trying to argue with Old Thrashbarg and there had never been much point before.
The following day Thrashbarg came round and said all sorts of Bob stuff. He tried to exert a calming influence by inviting Random to let her mind dwell on the ineffable mystery of the giant earwig, and Random said there was no giant earwig and Thrashbarg went very cold and silent and said she would be cast into outer darkness. Random said good, she'd been born there, and the next day the parcel arrived.

From Chapter 15 of Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
It must be related to the giant fly that attacked Mount St. Helens.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

[ROFL]
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
You are not alone Grimace. I, too, am totally freaked out by earwigs. I figure it has something to do with waking up at the drive-in in the middle of the Wrath of Khan when I was 6.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ludosti:
You are not alone Grimace. I, too, am totally freaked out by earwigs. I figure it has something to do with waking up at the drive-in in the middle of the Wrath of Khan when I was 6.

Yeah, 'cause waking up to this would freak out any six year old. I'd never sleep again.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
The hatred of earwigs is due to that horrible Twilight Zone show, where the guy gets an earwig in his brain and it starts eating...

He eventualy gets it out, but... well, I won't ruin the ending for you guys.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jhai:
The hatred of earwigs is due to that horrible Twilight Zone show, where the guy gets an earwig in his brain and it starts eating...

He eventualy gets it out, but... well, I won't ruin the ending for you guys.

Isn't that The Wrath of Khan?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ludosti:

Nothing to do with that movie.
Earwigs are frightening because:

A. They look slimy, but are not.
B. They have frightening pincers.
C. They appear out of nowhere, and seem to love getting into the laundry.
D. They sort of fight back when you try to catch them.
E. They are way too frightening to squash, which means you have to catch them, which means that sometimes they get caught on the piece of paper towel when you try to shake it off outside, which means you have to throw the whole glob of paper towel on the ground, which means that you have to leave it there, because, if you pick it up, the earwig might frighten you all over again by reappearing.
F. They are strangely fascinating, and this frightens you the msot.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Earwigs are also disgusting because when you squash them, they stink.

At least, the ones in Miami did.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.