FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My "Enter" key is broken

Author Topic: My "Enter" key is broken
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a used laptop, Compaq Presario. And just now I find that my "Enter" key doesn't work right. When I hit "Enter", it types "p". When I hit "Shift" "Enter", it types "P". How can I fix this? Can I do it myself, or do I bring it back to the guy who sold it to me? I suppose I can copy a carriage return from something else onto my clipboard, and then paste it in when I need one. Seems like a bit of trouble, though.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing there's probably a mapping key on your keyboard that you inadvertently turned on. If you hit the map key again, and hit the enter key to map it back to itself, I think that should resolve the problem.

Meanwhile, here's some kittens.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
You can either remap one of your other keys as 'enter', or you can try to pry up the keys that aren't working to see if they're jammed in some way. If it were me, I'd try #2. For you, #1 is probably much simpler.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a mapping key? What does that look like? I don't see any keys with maps on them.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Use "Ctrl-M"...
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.usnetizen.com/fix_capslock.html
This explains the procedure for remapping the caps lock key, and includes the keycodes for most of the other specialty keys. It involves editing the registry, though, so I'm not sure you should try it.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

That makes email happen. Any other ideas?
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
what kind of compaq presario is it?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:

God, I hate Outlook sometimes...
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
"That makes email happen" is a great sentence.

(I don't have any tips; my technology expertise is limited to going to the top of the basement stairs and hollering for my son. I could try asking him when he wakes up, if you like!)

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:

*tries*

Oh, cool! I learned a new trick today -- thanks! [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

OK, thanks for all the help, now I know exactly what to do. I'll take the laptop back to Danny, the guy that sold it to me. It is still under warranty, and there have been some other problems as well. He will fix it with his tech-y guru-ish ways. Or give me my money back.
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, come on, that's just like my method. Except I can hold the roof over his head over his head.

AND my son's name is Daniel. I definitely get credit for helping you with this one.

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Storm Saxon:

1800T
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Storm Saxon:

1800T
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. I have Microsoft Outlook installed, and Ctrl-M does not bring up anything on my machine.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Hm. I have Microsoft Outlook installed, and Ctrl-M does not bring up anything on my machine.

You're not doing it right. [Razz] [Wink]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Clearly. Because it works at home almost as well as at work (only problem is the Word macros I have at home irritate it at startup).
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atlantis
Member # 8788

- posted      Profile for Atlantis   Email Atlantis         Edit/Delete Post 
Since when is there an "Enter" key? [Smile]
Posts: 37 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
When the focus is on Outlook, it does send/receive. When it's not, it does email.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, here's the deal. Ctrl-M is the Firefox shortcut for "send new email using your default client." [Smile]

It does not appear to be a generic hook, though. I can't get it to "make email happen" in any other application or browser.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

And now, mysteriously, my "Enter" key is working.

See?

I guess turning off the machine for Shabbos, and then turning it back on again after did the trick.

I guess I won't take it back. It is a funny little laptop, and a bit of a scamp. Whenever it is acting up in a way that I threaten to take it back to Danny at the shop, it quickly straightens out. It's like I'm threatening to send it to the principal's office or something.

Time will tell if threats will continue to work once the thing is out of warranty.

rivka
Member # 4859

So the Ctrl-M thing will only work if I have Firefox running? Not a problem. [Wink]

Esther, isn't it amazing how a good Shabbos rest fixes things? [Big Grin]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

The "enter" key was doing its "p" thing on and off. That along with some other recurrent problems made me decide to bring the thing back to Danny at the shop and get my money back. I did. Danny looked very sad. So, I'm laptop-less once again.

Maybe another more reliably normal machine will come my way some day.

NicholasStewart
Member # 9781

- posted      Profile for NicholasStewart   Email NicholasStewart         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm ... my keyboard doesn't have an "Enter" key...

http://www.kiwassee.org/new_microsoft_keyboard.jpg

Posts: 65 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, Tante, you're now responsible for at least five upcoming pranks.
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.