FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is anyone else watching/listening to General Conference?

Author Topic: Is anyone else watching/listening to General Conference?
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the talk on honesty this morning from Bishop Edgley.

I'm horribly sick this weekend, so I have only been listening to it over the internet, courtesy of my darling roommates.

I can't believe President Hinkly is 96. He sounds okay, although I don't know what he looked like. He sounds tired.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry you're sick, katharina! I watched 3 sessions and listened to the 4th. Got a lot more out of today than yesterday--I was spacy then.

Pres. Hinckley looked pretty good. I don't know if you saw the Relief Society broadcast that week but he sounded really tired then . . . I thought he seemed better today. And if anyone else is reading this thread saying "huh?" then it's a Mormon thing ;-) It's our twice annual conference--we watch or listen to broadcasts from Salt Lake instead of church.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
I managed to catch the last sunday session streaming over the internet.
Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched all four sessions, but I missed the RS broadcast last week because I was out of town. My mom and I went to the closest ward building, not even thinking that we'd have to go to the stake center to actually see the broadcast. We got there and the parking lot was empty. [Frown]

Anyway, I loved Elder Bednar's talk and the talk on honesty. Oh, and Elder Holland's was just what I needed to hear.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I've done that - gone to a ward building instead of a stake building and missed conference.

[Frown] I'm sad this thread is tiny and the bash-on-missionaries thread is huge. That's a sad commentary on Hatrackers.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack has become a place where I no longer feel comfortable discussing sacred things. I know others who have left Hatrack entirely because they feel the same way.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

That's so sad. [Frown]
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That's a sad commentary on Hatrackers.
Not really. Lots of non-members have had more experiences with bad missionaries than they have had with General Conference. The bad missionary topic is just naturally more...discussable.

I saw the Sunday sessions; I enjoyed them very much. I LOVED Jeffrey R. Holland's talk.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

There's a huge number of Mormons here. It seems like Hatrack is no longer a place where it is safe to discuss something like General Conference. I hate that. [Frown] I've always loved the General Conference threads here.

I was listening instead of watching GC, so I'm not exactly sure who said what. I loved the talk on honesty, and I liked Elder Bednar's, I think.

I also liked the talk on Saturday about how Sunday will always come. It's not a new thought (I have a quote from China Mountain Zhang that says basically the same thing), but it was nice to hear.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
How do you get from not many people responding to not being very safe to discuss General Conference? Every other GC discussion (edit: including this one) I've seen on this forum has been amicable, that I can recall.

I would say more but I don't want to derail this thread. Suffice to say that communication involves at least two parties.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
My wife watched the Sunday Sessions. I took our 2 year old out so she could watch it in peace. It is hard to focus on Conference or a movie with him running around.

We had fun at the park, mall, and grandma's house. When we came home later she was happy and looked relaxed. She enjoyed Conference a lot and got her spiritual strength/nourishment. I was happy for her.

quote:
I managed to catch the last sunday session streaming over the internet.
We could not find Conference on the radio. Our Radio was not picking up any AM stations, and I could not find Conference on FM. Our TV reception is nothing to write home about.

As she was about to give up watching conference in despair, I checked LDS.org and found the conference stream. I gotta say the LDS church is on top of technology! It was easy.

I had already placed speakers in every room in our home so I could play my music off my computer. Being able to use the computer to broadcast Conference in every room was a miracle for my wife. Kudos church. [Hat]

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
quote:
That's a sad commentary on Hatrackers.
Not really. Lots of non-members have had more experiences with bad missionaries than they have had with General Conference. The bad missionary topic is just naturally more...discussable.

I haven't read the other thread, but I don't post on these threads because I have never watched or listened to a General Conference, and wouldn't have anything to contribute.

Not because of any ulterior religion-bashing motive.

I was about to say I haven't ever seen missionaries either, but that's a lie - I did run (and I mean that quite literally) into two sister a couple of months back. No bashing though, they seemed very nice. [Smile]

But I agree with Scott - the lack of discussion on this topic doesn't necessarily reflect anything in particular other than it is a topic relating only to particular sub-set of posters.

As far as reluctance to post about sacred things/faith goes, I agree that is sad. I can understand completely how that happens, but when it does I feel that we lose the opportunity to understand different view points and perspectives.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I loved the talk on honesty this morning from Bishop Edgley.
I loved that too. I loved the bit about the newspaper: "For 25 cents I can keep my integrity. A dollar might be pushing it, but I can keep my integrity for 25 cents." It made me think about how often we think honesty in the little things doesn't matter as much as honesty in the big things - his comment sort of turned that idea on its head, and made it more about, "Is 25 cents worth losing your integrity over?" Made it even sadder that we're sometimes willing to give up our integrity over little things. (Like speeding. I've got to stop speeding with the excuse that "it's only 5 miles over ... it won't matter.")

I was gone during the first session on Saturday, but I recorded it. I keep hearing wonderful things about Dallin H. Oaks' talk. Can't wait to hear it.

BTW, there are a couple good threads about this at Nauvoo, naturally. Saturday Sessions and Sunday Sessions and one more thread. And I wouldn't feel too bad about people not posting to this thread yesterday - the ones who actually cared about Conference may not have been online. I rarely get a chance on Sundays.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

quote:
(Like speeding. I've got to stop speeding with the excuse that "it's only 5 miles over ... it won't matter.")
Oh dear. It's settled. I am never going to be a person of integrity!

I really liked Pres. Hinckley's talk. It gave me hope. I thought, if this 96-year-old man can say that the stress and responsibilities are great, but we will push forward for as long as we can (total paraphrase), I thought, who am I to complain about being burnt out on my calling?

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

quote:
(Like speeding. I've got to stop speeding with the excuse that "it's only 5 miles over ... it won't matter.")

Yes! It does matter! The honesty/integrity speech sounds really interesting.

Is there a link to the text of the speeches?

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

imogen, text will be up online by Thursday at lds.org. Currently, you can access audio/video archives there.
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I loved that too. I loved the bit about the newspaper: "For 25 cents I can keep my integrity. A dollar might be pushing it, but I can keep my integrity for 25 cents." It made me think about how often we think honesty in the little things doesn't matter as much as honesty in the big things - his comment sort of turned that idea on its head, and made it more about, "Is 25 cents worth losing your integrity over?" Made it even sadder that we're sometimes willing to give up our integrity over little things. (Like speeding. I've got to stop speeding with the excuse that "it's only 5 miles over ... it won't matter.")
When I worked at the box office of a movie theater, I used to ask the 15-year-olds claiming to be 12 in order to get a cheaper ticket, "Is saving three dollars really worth sacrificing your integrity?" Never really got an answer, but it did bother me.
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

quote:
Is there a link to the text of the speeches?
Not yet ... this is what is says on the Church website:
quote:
Audio and video archives of the conference are available on the conference archive page. Online text of the conference will be available Thursday.
Here's the link to the audio and video archives: General Conference Archives. For the talk about honesty, scroll down to the Sunday Morning session, Bishop Richard C. Edgley.
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

- posted      Profile for DaisyMae   Email DaisyMae         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched all four sessions and my husband went to the Priesthood session. With our tiny kids, it's been a while since we've been able to see everything. We just moved to Omaha from Columbus, OH and I LOVE that we get GC on TV here. Going to the stake center was so hard for us. Always interfered with nap time.

I was particularly in need of the "one foot in the church and one foot in the world" talk. Can't remember who is was, but it really helped me. I felt like there was a real extension of hope from GC overall. Funny how they sometimes seem to be themed, even though no one is assigned what to speak on. I love President Hinckley and it makes me sad to know he won't be around for a long time more. His son spoke at our Stake Conference two weeks ago. He told some great stories about Pres. Hinckley.

I'm relatively new to Hatrack and I like that it is a mixed forum with so many LDS members. I'm learning to recognize who shares my beliefs, who is respectful and is not.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Thanks. [Smile]

I'll wait for the text versions (dial-up...) and check it out.

Silent E
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for Silent E   Email Silent E         Edit/Delete Post 
"I'm sad this thread is tiny and the bash-on-missionaries thread is huge. That's a sad commentary on Hatrackers."

I disagree. I don't think it's at all a "bash on missionaries" thread. I think it's an interesting thread.

"Hatrack has become a place where I no longer feel comfortable discussing sacred things."

I don't understand this. Anything I consider "sacred" that I would discuss in public at all, I would discuss here. Anything I would not feel comfortable discussing publicly, I never would discuss here, no matter the atmosphere.

I may not post as much as either of you, but I read a lot, and I just don't feel the antagonism that you guys appear to feel.

Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Really enjoyed Elder Holland's talk. President Hinckleys closing remarks seemed a mite on the short side, but hey if there is nothing more to be said nothing more needs be said.

Bishop Edgly's talk on honesty really was well done. I lol'd when he talked about his friend stuffing quarters in the news paper vending machine, and the way he did it was really uncondecending which impressed me. I hope I can have that much tact when I express my disagreement with somebody else.

President Hinckley actually looked MORE healthy then he did last conference to be honest. He walked out of the conference center QUITE robustly. I fear President Faust is not long for this world. His talk was really good, but he is definately feeling the effects of his age. I hope President Hinckley breaks the record for oldest prophet, he deserves it.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
What is the record for the oldest prophet?
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

President Hinckley said on Sunday morning that if he lasted a few months longer, he would have served to an older age than any previous president of the Church.
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I am guessing it was Hunter. I always like Howard W. Hunter. He was my favorite. He was also the prophet when I went to the MTC. His talk was my highlight at the MTC.

Wait..no..Benson was older. But I thought he died at 95. Who could have been older then those two?

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattB
Member # 1116

- posted      Profile for MattB   Email MattB         Edit/Delete Post 
McKay was almost 97 when he died. Benson was 94; Hunter 87.
Posts: 794 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
McKay was almost 97 when he died. Benson was 94; Hunter 87.
Age is just a number, baby!

quote:
posted October 02, 2006 12:02 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I'm sad this thread is tiny and the bash-on-missionaries thread is huge. That's a sad commentary on Hatrackers."

I disagree. I don't think it's at all a "bash on missionaries" thread. I think it's an interesting thread.

"Hatrack has become a place where I no longer feel comfortable discussing sacred things."

I don't understand this. Anything I consider "sacred" that I would discuss in public at all, I would discuss here. Anything I would not feel comfortable discussing publicly, I never would discuss here, no matter the atmosphere.

I may not post as much as either of you, but I read a lot, and I just don't feel the antagonism that you guys appear to feel.

I think it has more to do with numerous previous discussions before you joined. Though the general attitude on Hatrack is more open towards religious discussion, I too have had qualms about posting topics I consider to be "sacred." Fortunately, there's always Nauvoo for that.
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent E
Member # 8840

"I think it has more to do with numerous previous discussions before you joined."

I think that is highly unlikely.

Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Why? When did you join?
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent E
Member # 8840

Around the same time you did. I've just changed names since then.
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
We listened to GC over the internet as well. So I agree that it was hard to know who was speaking (we kind of had a game to be the first to identify the speaker which made it kind of fun). In addition to the talks already mentioned, I really enjoyed the 2nd speaker's (is that correct apostrophe usage?? I'm paranoid now)talk during the 2nd session on Saturday, she talked about the advice that President Hinckley gave them when he married she and her husband. Good stuff.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.