FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ingrown Toenail -- or is it? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ingrown Toenail -- or is it?
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, he first put a shot into my toe to numb the whole thing. Then he cut a sliver from the toenail (from the tip all the way to the root) along the side where it was ingrown. He then put a chemical on the root-part there so that it wouldn't grow back. He then cleaned up what blood there was and bandaged up my toe. I had to remove the bandage, soak my toe in warm salt water, and put a new bandage on it twice a day for like a week or so. Then I went back to the podiatrist and he took the bandage off, examined the toe, and told me I was good to go. He did warn me that most people who have one big toe done also have to have the other one done at some point. So far I've lucked out and that hasn't had to happen yet.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Essentially they shave the nail all the way down the ingrown side, making the nail more narrow. This removes the part of the nail that becomes ingrown completely, creating an entirely new, healthy and non-ingrowy edge of the nail further away from the edge of the toe. Then they kill off the root of the nail in that spot, so it (in theory) never can grow back.

My brother-in-law had it done, and though he said he did have some discomfort for a day or two after the anesthetic wore off, it's been fine since.

Edit: Didn't realize pfresh posted essentially this same thing on the second page. D'oh.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you called, Porter?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
No, and it's a good thing. I'm swamped this morning.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent E
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for Silent E   Email Silent E         Edit/Delete Post 
Which is why you're posting on Hatrack.
Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.