FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fred Phelps will be protesting the Amish girls' funerals. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Fred Phelps will be protesting the Amish girls' funerals.
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
In case this hasn't already been discussed here (I suspect it was already, but I couldn't find it...).

I can't figure out why this is necessary.

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know... I wish there was a god... but if it's the one Mr Phelps prays to, I think I'm glad there's not one.

Isn't he really old? shouldn't he be dead of natural causes soon?

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
His daughters will just be taking over for him. They are as nutty as he is, if not more so.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
Ya know... I wish there was a god... but if it's the one Mr Phelps prays to, I think I'm glad there's not one.

Isn't he really old? shouldn't he be dead of natural causes soon?

Yeah, I feel ya there, Pixiest. Oi!

As Stephan said, his daughters are already beginning to take over the church for him. They're the ones who do all the interviews and whatnot. They're every bit as scary as he is.

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still not sure how Phelps has managed to avoid being committed for his own good.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure the Patriot Riders will make an appearance. They can't do anything about the signs, but at least they'll drown on the noise of Phelp's group chants. Is long past time this group drank teh Kool-Aid.
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ngogwakuni
Member # 9737

- posted      Profile for Ngogwakuni           Edit/Delete Post 
Fred Phelps must be pure evil. He sounds alot like Ralph Ovadal, who is a very evil man who lives in my area. Mr.Ovadal is the pastor of a hate group that is opposed to abortion and homosexuality. he is expecially opposed to catholicism, and he believes that it is not christianity and that is is a sin to consider it christianity. his website is WWW.pccmonroe.org, if you want to find out about his insanity. he calls himself a christian, but he acts in a very unchristian manner. It is terrible that fred phelps is taking delight in death, i think he's insane. i hope he gets stung by 10,000 wasps. i hope he dies soon, natural causes or not. preferably in a painful way.

by the way, The Pixiest, how do you know there's not a god?

Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy
Member # 9384

- posted      Profile for Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy           Edit/Delete Post 
Obligatory link:

http://www.godhatesfredphelps.com/

Posts: 87 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Fred Phelps exists to be the one thing everyone in the U.S. can come together in the spirit of love to hate.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
ngog: For 100% certain? I don't. But the concept is sufficiently implausible(*) that I can't believe no matter how much I would like to.

(*) I realize some people don't think it's implausible. I'm happy for you if you're one of these people.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 9284

- posted      Profile for Mig   Email Mig         Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt that anyone who dislikes this idiot would ever do this, but there would be a pleasant sort of irony if someone decided to protest agaisnt his church at the funeral of someone he loves.
Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morydd
Member # 5004

- posted      Profile for Morydd   Email Morydd         Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever Phelps dies, I think it'd be appropriate for anyone who's able to line the entire route from his home to his chruch to his grave and make as much noise as possible.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
When you act like an ass toward an ass, you're still acting like an ass.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, nobody wants to take him.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
I think nobody wants to write the report completely outlining his psychosis. They have better things to do with the entire rest of their life.
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I'd figure the Amish families just wouldn't announce when the funerals were going to be. Then those twits wouldn't have any idea when to show up.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, according to NPR yesterday, the Amish don't hold their funerals in, like, a funeral home or anything. The funerals are typically held in a home or a large building, such as a barn.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I seriously question if he really believes his own rhetoric.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kan., planned to boycott funerals for the victims Thursday and Friday but later canceled the protests in exchange for media airtime. The church claims on its Web site that the shooting spree was carried out by a "mad man" in retribution for Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell's "blasphemous sins against WBC." The site says Rendell "slandered and mocked and ridiculed and condemned Westboro Baptist Church on national Fox TV" and that he "revealed a conspiracy to employ the State's police powers to destroy WBC in order to silence WBC's Gospel message."
So they are going to pacify him with media time to keep him away...
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Don't they know they shouldn't feed strays?
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad there isn't anybody like that who lives near me.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Chef's Mom: Oh, Lordy, I thought if I gave 'em 3:50 of airtime they'd go away!
Chef's Dad: Woman, now they'll just keep comin back for more!

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
As annoyed as I am that they had to give this jerk air time, I'm glad they won't be protesting the funerals. No family needs that when they're trying to say goodbye to a loved one.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
From what I understand of Amish funerals, they're typically held in the home or on the property of the family of the deceased. So couldn't the Phelpites be arrested for trespassing if they intrude on an Amish funeral at a home?

Also, aren't they against embalming, and have the funeral within 24 hours? So they'd probably have had the funerals faster than the Phelpites could find out where (I hope.)

Edited to change tense because I just read that they won't be. Dratted fast typists! [Wink]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait for the day when some pissed off family hands him his head after he protests their funeral. I don't care how old he is, he needs to get beat up...badly. Maybe then he'll stop.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that protesting Phelps's funeral would be tacky and probably unproductive.

Is there any chance it would make his daughter sit up and say, "My God, is that what we've been doing to people all these years?"

Probably not, I guess.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GaalDornick:
I can't wait for the day when some pissed off family hands him his head after he protests their funeral. I don't care how old he is, he needs to get beat up...badly. Maybe then he'll stop.

Yeah right, because we don't know any better ways to solve problems than violence. [Wall Bash] I often wonder whether the average American understands anything but violence.

I have though many times that if the media would stop reporting the antics of this nut job, he would quickly tire of the activity and go home.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
He does yell awful loud Rabbit.

If I had money I'd offer to build sound proof paneling over the barn or wherever they hold the funeral. Its not electronic, it should be ok.

Would it be legal to walk up and stand in his face? Just not do anything but stand in his face so that he would have to yell through me? Is there a law against invading personal space?

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

You might have hearing problems for a couple of days but go ahead.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

"Yeah right, because we don't know any better ways to solve problems than violence."

With him? No, the only way he'll stop is if he's scared to continue. The law doesn't seem to be able to do anything. And personally I just think he deserves to get some punishment for all of the things he did to people mourning over their lost ones.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:
Originally posted by GaalDornick:

Yeah right, because we don't know any better ways to solve problems than violence. [Wall Bash] I often wonder whether the average American understands anything but violence.

I have though many times that if the media would stop reporting the antics of this nut job, he would quickly tire of the activity and go home.

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
-Salvor Hardin

Yeah, I went there. I don't believe it, but it seemed to fit.

Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I really, just don't like this guy. Too bad it's not legal for me to practice with my police baton on him. 26" baton finally showed up today. Yay!
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

""Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
-Salvor Hardin

Yeah, I went there. I don't believe it, but it seemed to fit."

I am now going to bow out of this thread. [Big Grin] You quote Foundation on me? Do you seen my SN? [Big Grin]

airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
C'mon, it was perfect and you know it.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

I can't help but feel frustrated when I hear things like, "I wonder if the average American understands anything but violence." It apparently implies that this is, somehow, a uniquely American problem.

Violence would not, unfortunately, solve the problem of Fred Phelps. If there were a chance it would, though, to be honest...I'd probably be for it.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

Violence is something that every human being experiences and knows so yeah saying that this is just an American problem is a pretty blind statement.
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I hope that every gay and lesbian organization in the country comes out to picket his funeral when he finally kicks the proverbial bucket.
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

I didn't even know this dude existed until I saw the topic here.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Yes, it would be. Foro the record, I don't think Rabbit said it was just an American problem. It was the implication that can exist in that statement.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just reading a story that said that gestures of forgiveness have already been extended from the Amish community, including the grandfather of two of the little girls who died, toward the shooter and his family.

Wow is all I can say.

I think that if Fred Phelps and the Phelpsites showed up, they'd probably be politely ignored.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Fred Phelps makes me indescribably angry. [Frown]
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Gov. Ed Rendell -- speaking and acting in his official capacity to bind the State of Pennsylvania -- slandered and mocked and ridiculed and condemned Westboro Baptist Church on national Fox TV.
Ummmm...I'm pretty sure that God doesn't work that way. I mean, even if you go back to God in the Old Testament (who reads a lot meaner than God in the New Testament) I'm pretty sure that it was visiting the sins of the fathers on the sons, to the third and fourth generation. Not visiting the sins of a person on a group of totally random people who had nothing to do with it.

Maybe Fred uses his own personal translation of the Bible. I bet he left out verses like "Judge not lest ye be judged," and "Remove the log from your own eye before removing the speck from another's."

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Yeah, I heard a bit about that on the same report I learned about funerary traditions from, KQ.
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Storm Saxon:
Fred Phelps exists to be the one thing everyone in the U.S. can come together in the spirit of love to hate.

Amen, Brother Storm!

I hesitate to quote the following,... but I guess I will. Phelps and his daughters and followers are evil. Insane and evil. [Frown]
quote:
But she [Shirley Phelps-Roper, the daughter of Rev. Phelps] defended the church's initial decision to protest at the Amish girls' funerals.

"Those Amish people, everyone is sitting around talking about those poor little girls — blah, blah, blah — they brought the wrath upon themselves," Phelps-Roper said, adding that the Amish "don't serve God, they serve themselves."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,217760,00.html
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
If there actually existed such a god as desribed by Phelp's 'church' I'd take my chances in hell.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
How about a nice, loud choir? That'd drown them out and provide something nice to listen to.

I mean, really, motorcycles are pretty effing tacky.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe so, but you didn't see anyone else out there willing to stand up to them do you?
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I think we missed a great opportunity here. And I think everyone's anger and thoughts of violence do as much harm to the Amish sentiments as Phelps mania.

The Amish are a peaceful, loving, non-violent religion who have mastered the arts of non-violent protest and loving neighbors no matter how loathsome. I would love to see the "confrontation" between Phelp's screams and rhetoric, and the Amish community. If they could not overcome his ingrained hatred and closed mind, they would simply turn a deaf ear to his rantings.

There is little Phelps fears, accept people turning a deaf ear to his rantings.

But when we step up to protect our "innocent Amish" with violence, or more screams, then we challenge their beliefs as much as Phelps ever could.

They wish to be left alone, not attacked, but not defended either.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
One of our Regional Ethics Bowl cases (think debate for philosophy nerds) is on Fred Phelps. You can read the case (it's number 5) here. Our team hasn't come to a conclusion yet on how we want to address the issues presented by his protesting, but I think we're leaning towards saying that he has a right to picket, at least at national cemeteries. Fred Phelps is a horrible guy, but I can think of cases where I would ardently defend the right to protest at funerals, and so the general rule needs to be one that will protect this right, even if it lets scumbags like Phelps also protest.

For example if a person who had committed horrible crimes while in the military (say baby-killing in Iraq) were somehow to be given the right to be buried in a national cemetery for soldiers, then I think the burial should be protested, especially as it is taking place, as it is simply wrong to bury such a person with our honored dead.

On the other hand, I would encourage the families that are burying their dead in private cemeteries to have on hand during a burial someone who has either ownership or some sort of authority over the cemetery if they're afraid Phelps will show up. And that person has the perfect right to boot the protestors out of the cemetery onto the closest public area or road. I also encourage counter-protests, such as the motorcycle veterans, but they shouldn't be given any more or any less rights of access than Phelps.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope that every gay and lesbian organization in the country comes out to picket his funeral when he finally kicks the proverbial bucket.

I think that when he dies, gay and lesbians and supporters and military families should attend the funeral in large numbers. Hundreds. Thousands. Tens of thousands. Fill the streets with the procession.

And they should be quiet, and respectful. They should say nothing besides extending their condolences to the family. No signs. No screaming. No clothing inappropriate for a funeral. No press interviews. No protests. No laughter, no partying, no exclamations of ironic divine retribution. Just silence and bowed heads.

Simply mourning the passing of a fellow human being, the way Phelps himself never could.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.