FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So whats new, eh?

Author Topic: So whats new, eh?
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Simplistic thread, that will probably be short lived, but it's just an oppurtunity for everyone to say something new thats happened recently, but didn't want to start a thread on it.

New for me: last month, I made an extra 1900 in commission, and made me feel all special.

There is a possibility that before years end I'll be moving to Utah to work for my Dad (good pay and benefits and allows Jamie a place for a Ph.D program) but I'll provide more details if/when that happens.

Halloween is coming up and I'm pretty excited, but alas, have no real plans. Probably watch Nightmare Before Christmas like every year.

Other than that, things are pretty slow and good.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I still have this temp job. I want to keep it. I like it.
I am trying to decide if I should buy the Black Sabbath boxset as I like them.
I want to see Putnam County Spelling Bee this weekend.
I saw Dir en grey for the 1/2 time a few weeks ago and it was great and I got to meet Kyo the lead singer and he's rather short, but soooooo powerful and cool.
And I still have to work on my novel and read more books about the mafia, but this book called We Need to Talk About Kevin I am reading for the book club is riveting and had the most chilling horrible scene I've read in a book ever.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
Beaming Technology but there's a thread for that too, but it new and it's really cool.
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm procrastinating my Flash Fiction Friday. For the last two weeks.
I want to go to three events tomorrow and can only do two probably. (Quilt show - $5 - probably not. Memory Walk, maybe. Apple Fest, maybe.)
My husband just left to go visit friends in Kentucky and left me $25 to go with the $20 I have in the bank. He's planning to be back before the 24th (doctor's appointment) and I get paid on the 19th. So, $45 is supposed to last near 2 weeks? Yeah, right, Einstein. [Roll Eyes]

Cool news Nathan, about the Utah thing. Good luck.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Tomorrow morning we're leaving for Oregon to check out Beverly's dream, and today the driver's side window stopped working, in the down position. I just spent the last four hours trying to fix it. I failed, but at least now it's stuck in the up position.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sick, and hyperextended my wrist this morning. Yesterday I passed out from low blood pressure. Why am I sitting here typing? I don't know. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the entire family is on my bed.

I'm having some luck on ebay with components for Halloween costumes. I wish I'd been able to find more at the thrift store, though; no shipping. I'll have to check one more time before I buy something off ebay for Bridget's costume. I still need to borrow my almost-step-mother's fabric paints and her Berks. Oh, and pick up some posterboard and aluminum-colored spray paint.

Speaking of the thrift store, my sister whom I never see called me back. She has Thursdays and Fridays off this month (she's on a kind of a rotating schedule) and she wants to do something with me and the girls, like a trip to the thrift store. When we're not sick, that is. She also picked me up some Nancy Drews, which she knows I collect, including a couple of very old ones. I love my sister, she's awesome. [Smile]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Christy's expecting.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to Tom and Christy! [Big Grin]
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anshi
Member # 9643

- posted      Profile for Anshi   Email Anshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm finally returning my friend's cds this weekend, after them being in my possession these past 2 years!

I think I'm more excited about this - a veritable gate-clearance feat! - than my friend will be! XD

...And then next week, I get to take my car in to the body shop to get the rear fixed. At least the person who tried to park his car on top of mine fessed up and his insurance is paying for it. [Smile] (Edit) Oh, but the most important thing is that since I didn't install my EG license plate holder the moment I got it, it didn't get all warped like my license plate did because of the accident! (/Edit) [The Wave]

(Congrats to Tom and Christy & Jhai!)

[ October 06, 2006, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: Anshi ]

Posts: 32 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to Tom and Christy!

More bombs were found in Colombo last week, but at least this time they were found before they actually went off and killed people.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm engaged, likely having a civil ceremony this winter for visa reasons (Abhi's - he's from India), and then going to India this summer for a proper Hindu wedding. And I'm drowning in grad school apps for economics (everyone cross your fingers for a Stanford acceptance).

If anyone wants to come to India to enjoy the festivities, you're welcome - Indian weddings basically include everyone you have ever known in your life.

I should probably actually start a thread on this... I've never had a landmark before.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Jhai, that's awesome! Congrats!
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Jhai, congrats! And I hear you about the weddings... When fahim's brother got married, it was relatively small. Only 4 or 5 hundred guests. A cousin recently got married and it was 3000 people attending.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to Tom & Christie (and Sophie)
Congrats to Jhai

Good luck to Beverly and Porter - I'm envious (a little) of your possibilities. I've been reading Mother Earth News lately and keep having these rural fantasies. (Chickens, garden, goats, etc.) It doesn't help that my editor has pygmy goats, a family in our ward has miniature horses and there's a chicken hatchery about 20 miles from here.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happymann
Member # 9559

- posted      Profile for happymann   Email happymann         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife gave birth to a beautiful baby girl Monday.
Posts: 258 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, congratulations, and congratulations!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations to the new members of the species and to their parents! [Big Grin]

I started taking a hip-hop class and an afro-brazilian class. Er, dance, that is. Lots of fun. Almost makes up for my trampoline class getting canceled for the fall (no pun intended, fortunately).

I'm flying back east at the end of the month for a bar mitzvah and a wedding, and general visitations that need to happen.

[Edit: oh, and I sprained my thumb on Thursday, but it's getting better.]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
For the first time, I'm interested in a woman and the feeling is reciprocal. <giddy>
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread makes me happy!

There aren't enough happy threads on Hatrack. Thanks for starting one.

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go and well done everyone! Feel better kq, costume construction with a pained wrist can't be fun.

I was given a position of greater responsibility in my shop last week. Makes me nervous, because there are going to be instances when I'm in charge of nationally important stuff, and I'm still not 100% sure about what I'm supposed to be doing. 95% maybe, but with the stuff I'm doing, that 5%'s a killer.

Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
My rabbit bit my cell phone cord...
He's lucky he's cute, otherwise, I'd cook him.

Plus people on my job like me for some reason. They gave all of us blankets and wrote us nots and mine said that they apprieciate how I help the team.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Silly rabbit's lucky he didn't cook himself!

Congrats to all on babies, life improvements, etc.

I've had a rough couple of weeks myself, but things are rapidly improving. Last weekend I manned the booth at the county fair for the Domestic Violence/Sexual Assault services where I volunteer.

Then my husband (with whom I haven't lived in over a year) had carotid artery surgery on Monday to prevent an imminent stroke. He is recovering. I am feeding his cows every morning for the next couple of weeks, which is hard, but I am able to do it now as my recovery from cancer is going very much better than I had been told to expect.

Friday we set up our Clothesline Project on the courthouse square, and the weather was wonderfully cool and sunny. October is Domestic Violence Awareness month. Thanks to all who do whatever they can to prevent it.

Love, Rain

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UTAH
Member # 5032

- posted      Profile for UTAH   Email UTAH         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Tom! Congratulations, happyman!
Children are a gift.
My son is finally coming home after spending 2 years in Brazil. I am so excited that I can't think or talk about anything else! I have missed him terribly.
Life is good.

Posts: 277 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.