FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm going to Chicago.

Author Topic: I'm going to Chicago.
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
So, for my birthday my boyfriend surprised me with plane tickets to Chicago and concert tickets to one of our favorite bands (Placebo). We're going the first weekend in November, and even though we won't be there for long at all, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of good places to eat or interesting things we should try to see. Neither of us have even been to Chicago before. And we really won't have much time to do anything (we're flying in Friday night and leaving Saturday around noon), but we'll probably have some time before the concert and the flight back to walk around and grab a bite to eat or something. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Where's the concert going to be?
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Where are you flying in/out, and where are you staying -- and where is the show?

With only a few hours, travel time will be your limiting factor.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morydd
Member # 5004

- posted      Profile for Morydd   Email Morydd         Edit/Delete Post 
People who love this city tend to be... "passionate"... about it. So you'll probably get lots of good advice. Looks like the concert is at the Riv, which is fun. It's right near the Green Mill, so if you like jazz at all, it may be worth a stop after your concert. The Riv is right off of the "El" which makes it convienient to get most anywhere in the city.

Your best bet is probably (depending on where you're staying) to take the Red Line to Belmont, which is about 3 stops south (towards 95th/Dan Ryan) of the Riv (which is at Lawrence). There are quite a few interesting shops and several really good places to eat. There's a Giordanos a few blocks west, there's a great Indian buffet place just east of the El. If you're in that area at breakfast time you can get fantastic cinnamon rolls at Ann Sather's (also just east of the El at Belmont). For late night food there's Clarke's across the street from Ann Sather's.

The El is the best way to get around in my opinion, and cheap too. You can get a Visitor Pass at the airport for $5 good for unlimited rides for 24 hours. It's also good on CTA busses. The RTA has a very good site for finding how to get around on the bus/train. http://tripsweb.rtachicago.com/

If you've got time before you head to the airport on Saturday (or when you get in on Friday) there are some interesting things to see in Millenium Park as well.

Enjoy Chicago!

Posts: 26 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, if you could extend your trip by a day and go home Sunday, we Chicagoans could come up with all kinds of stuff for you to do and maybe even coordinate a mini-gathering.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.