FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Earthquake!!

Author Topic: Earthquake!!
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
My power just came back on.

It was pretty scary, but I haven't seen or heard of any damage here on Maui. The Big Island's got a lot of damage it sounds like though.

Of course the first thing we think about here after an earthquake is a tsunami, but there wasn't one this time.

[Angst] I just wanted it to stop. [Cry]

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
HOw terrifying!
Keep us posted.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

News is just starting to come in. Apparently dislodged boulders have blocked the road between central Maui and Lahaina on the westside. That's always a problem because there's only one road in and out over there.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard about it on the news. Hope everybody's ok. Hawaii is my favourite place in the world: I met my wife and got married there, had our first two children there and am constantly drawn to every aspect of the place. Best wishes....
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear you're okay, maui babe. Keep safe and keep us posted. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Take care, maui babe -- glad to hear you're okay. Stay safe.
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
An earthquake in the Hawaiian islands could be a prelude to a massive volcanic eruption, since all the Hawaiian islands were created by volcanic action. I think that would be the greater danger, rather than a major earthquake that launches tsunamis all over the Pacific. Of course, a new volcano erupting out of the sea to build a new land mass could produce huge tsunamis.

Isn't it funny--or ironic--that there doesn't seem to be any real perfect paradise on earth? Mention southern California, and there is the downside of smog, mudslides, and frequent earthquakes building up to the expected "Big one." Mention Hawaii, and it turns out it may not be paradise, either. Some like eastern Texas. But watch out for tornadoes. Some like New Orleans--but then there was Katrina.

I guess I'll be content with Michigan. At least the snow is predictable.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
The whole thing's pretty much over. I called my family on Oahu and large parts of the island have power restored, although not everyone is back up yet. There were no tidal reprecussions, and the seismologists are saying there's no risk of triggered eruptions.

WHEW.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
"and the seismologists are saying there's no risk of triggered eruptions"

That's good.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

== PRELIMINARY EARTHQUAKE REPORT ==

***This event supersedes event HV00020954.

Region: HAWAII REGION, HAWAII
Geographic coordinates: 19.946N, 156.156W
Magnitude: 5.8 Mb
Depth: 4 km
Universal Time (UTC): 15 Oct 2006 17:14:09
Time near the Epicenter: 15 Oct 2006 07:14:09
Local time in your area: 15 Oct 2006 17:14:09

Location with respect to nearby cities:
29 km (18 miles) NNW (327 degrees) of Kalaoa, HI
30 km (19 miles) W (273 degrees) of Puako, HI
38 km (24 miles) NNW (334 degrees) of Kailua, HI
115 km (72 miles) WNW (284 degrees) of Hilo, HI
231 km (143 miles) SE (131 degrees) of Honolulu, HI

== PRELIMINARY EARTHQUAKE REPORT ==

***This event supersedes event HV00020954.

Region: HAWAII REGION, HAWAII
Geographic coordinates: 19.946N, 156.156W
Magnitude: 5.8 Mb
Depth: 4 km
Universal Time (UTC): 15 Oct 2006 17:14:09
Time near the Epicenter: 15 Oct 2006 07:14:09
Local time in your area: 15 Oct 2006 17:14:09

Location with respect to nearby cities:
29 km (18 miles) NNW (327 degrees) of Kalaoa, HI
30 km (19 miles) W (273 degrees) of Puako, HI
38 km (24 miles) NNW (334 degrees) of Kailua, HI
115 km (72 miles) WNW (284 degrees) of Hilo, HI
231 km (143 miles) SE (131 degrees) of Honolulu, HI

I get Earthquake reports to my e-mail.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to see you posting, Maui Babe.

When I heard about it this morning (yeah, I didn't listen to the news all weekend) you were the first person I thought of.

I think you are the only person I'm acquainted with that lives in Hawaii currently. My little thread of connection to that part of the world..

Keep us posted.

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a good friend somewhere in Kona. She is terrible about keeping in touch, and I've left a message on her cell which I hope she will receive and return. In the meantime, I'll just be praying and crossing my fingers. She was going to go to California sometime this month, so I'm sort of hoping that's where she was already during the earthquake; but I know that her whole family (7 siblings & kids) are in Kona so she will, of course, be worried sick for all of them if she's away.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad you are safe. I thought about you when I heard the news.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

Thanks for all of your kind thoughts. We're back to work here and things are mostly normal. My office mate was in Honolulu for the weekend and was unable to fly home last night, so she came to work straight from the airport.

We were very lucky - there were no deaths and no major injuries reported statewide. Kona Community Hospital had to be evacuated due to major structural damage, but they were able to get all of the patients into care homes or into the hospital in Hilo on the other side of the island.

My girls and I talked about how fortunate we are over dinner last night. While we were pretty frightened for a while, we were really only inconvenienced by being without power for a few hours.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Matt's uncle lives in Hawaii, and he was on a plane back there when the earthquake hit. I'm guessing he spent the night in Los Angeles - I heard the airport was closed.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

The airport closed for departing flights but I'm pretty sure they were allowing flights en route to land.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
My Kona friend is OK -- so glad she called me back today. Her brother was out surfing (!) when the quakes hit. Apparently he was clueless about it. She was frantic until he finally got in touch w/ her yesterday evening. The rest of the family was in Oahu for a wedding. She works in a grocery store and said that was a total mess--part of the ceiling came down and bottles smashed all over the liquor aisle.

maui babe, so glad to hear that you and yours are well.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder what ever happened to Zotto!. He was in Hawaii, or at least lived there during a time in his life he recounted in a landmark. Glad you all are safe [Smile] I guess I shouldn't put off my Hawaii 2nd honeymoon too much longer.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.