FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I got a zero on a school paper because...

Author Topic: I got a zero on a school paper because...
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
...I said "fecal matter" in the paper. Bogus.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
Context is everything...

Elaborate?

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Context really does matter in this case. If you're writing a paper on biology or something and fecal matter is relevant, then it's appropriate. If you're writing a paper on World War Two though, fecal matter really isn't appropriate.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you're writing a paper on World War Two though, fecal matter really isn't appropriate.
Unless of course you are talking about the spread of disease in the ghettos or concentration camps, or sanitation problems following the carpet bombing of cities.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Please elaborate, I'm very curious as to the topic of the paper. There were a few English papers I wanted to include those words to describe the story, but I managed to refrain myself.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
1) I'm assuming Steve is using a euphemism. I'd imagine he used a single word for the concept, and did so in a colloquial manner.

2) Some schools (or teachers) have a zero-tolerance policy for inappropriate language in work that is turned in for a grade. If you were warned about it, then shame on you for ignoring the policy.

OTOH, if there is not officially such a policy, then perhaps you can renegotiate the grade. Assuming the paper was otherwise good.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
1) I'm assuming Steve is using a euphemism. I'd imagine he used a single word for the concept, and did so in a colloquial manner.
I don't think so, I took the quotes to be a String literal, not a paraphrase.

But I can't believe I am debating this. I think I shall wince as I hit the reply button...

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
The teacher liked the rest of the paper. I was making a joke about some people's beliefs on God. The line read, "I bet the universe is just a pile of holy fecal matter."

I didn't think there was anything wrong with that. The rest of the paper was brilliant, and she loved it. And yet, a zero.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
If the rest of the paper was brilliant and she loved it, I can't see how she could possibly justify giving you a zero. Personally, I'd be speaking to somebody higher up about that.
Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
A zero seems inordinately excessive. Especially if she truly said she liked the rest of the paper. I would have handed it back with a note about why the line was inappropriate and why it and things similar should be avoided in the future, but I wouldn't have given a zero. Did she give you any kind of grading rubric that let you know ahead of time what types of things might merit a zero grade? I'm having a hard time thinking of what offenses deserve getting absolutely no credit on a paper. Besides plagiarism of course.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
It's possible that she is religious and was offended by your suggestion. Or she is a respectful person and thought that such a disrespectful and informal sentence in the middle of your paper was innapropriate. I'm surprised she didn't explain to you in person what was wrong.

Just 'cause you're brilliant, Steve, doesn't give you the right to be disrespectful, rude or jokey in a school paper.

[Smile]

Next time, you'll think twice, right?

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I'd like a bit more context, but it does seem like an extreme over-reaction. Before going over her head, I'd attempt to discuss with her why she felt a single sentence should outweigh the rest of the paper.

Also, do you have an opportunity to revise the paper for a higher grade?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
We ARE talking small town, Missouri, USA. If he had been a student in, say, Chicago or L.A., I doubt it would have even got a raised eyebrow of a reaction.

(and a reaction may have been just what he was going for... I don't know...)

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:
We ARE talking small town, Missouri, USA.

I guarantee the schools where I taught were every bit as conservative. And I can absolutely see a grade being docked, and the student getting a lecture and a warning.

But a zero for the paper? Not for a first offense. Not unless it was considerably more extreme.

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had teachers that, if I used the term "fecal matter", they'd literally tell me "you mean 's***', right?" but they wouldn't give me a flat out zero.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously SteveRoger's teacher reads PapaJanitor's threads.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Without precedent, a teacher reduces an otherwise suitable work to a zero grade based on a single offending passage. Not kosher practice where I come from; investigate grounds for appeal.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
Without precedent

This is the part I would like verification of.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.