FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » West Virginians Against the State Slogan "Open for Business" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: West Virginians Against the State Slogan "Open for Business"
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
So what do you think?

http://www.petitiononline.com/open4biz/petition.html

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought their slogan was "Keepin' It In The Fambly"
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
"Open for Business?" Seriously?

[ROFL]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, it's about the same as NJ's "We'll win you over" idiocy that then got thrown out.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate West Virginia.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I think anything that brings attention to the state of West Virginia is positive for the state.

Is it a ridiculous state motto? Sure.

Does it matter? Meh, it's West Virginia. The only things I know they have are coal and white water rafting, and other than that I have zero interest in going near that state.

The state legislature probably figured it would make the state seem either more business friendly or more tourist friendly. Can't blame them for trying.

Edit:

It's one of the few mottos not in Latin. But it's still better than Guam "Guam, where America's day begins."

Seriously, look at a list of the mottos of the states of America. Some of them are rather poetic, many are powerful or beautiful.

[ October 17, 2006, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eldrad
Member # 8578

- posted      Profile for Eldrad           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elmer's Glue:
I hate West Virginia.

Why? If you have ever actually been here (and thus have reason for hating it), then I'd like to hear your reasons.

West Virginia has plenty of shortcomings, I'll be the first to admit, but it is the single most beautiful place I've ever had the opportunity to visit (and for me, to live in), has probably the single best program for encouraging post-secondary education in the country, is a great place to raise a family, has decent elementary and secondary schools (some are worse than others, some better, just as you'll find anywhere), and it certainly has an enormous amount of untapped potential (hence the slogan, 'Open for Business'). It may seem stupid, but when the biggest complaint (really, the only real complaint with the state) is that we're not business-friendly enough, it makes more sense. Besides, can you all think of a better slogan to emphasize that point?

Posts: 143 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Ouvre pour travaille.

Sounds cooler.

Seriously though:

1. Businesses don't check state mottos before making decisions on where to move their business to.

2. "West Virginia, land of opportunity."

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

A little background here.
On our signs along the interstate as you enter WV it used to read: “Wild and Wonderful”.
Our Governor changed it to “Open for Business” this past January.
Here’s a little more on the whole story:
http://www.wvgazette.com/section/News/2006101519?pt=0

So Elmer….. is California that much better?

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I love West Virginia. I want to live in Wheeling some day. My family drove through it on our way to Washington DC and it had to have been the most beautiful place I've ever seen.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'd choose nature over urban decay. But doesn't California have both? It's why I love Michigan so much. I can drive 20 minutes and be in downtown Detroit with all a major urban center has to offer, or I can drive an 20 minutes and be at a pristine beach, or a half hr-45 minutes and be in the middle of some of the most beautiful nature America has to offer. We have it all, and it's all easily accessible, and quickly.
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
You bet it is. The whole East Coast sucks in my opinion. I can't stand the humidity. I have a personal vendetta with West Virginia.

West
Virginia
Sucks

Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone's going to make a FORTUNE at UWV campuses with babydoll T-shirts...
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eldrad
Member # 8578

Wait, wait, wait. From what Lyrhawn said, Elmer, I take it you're from California. You can't stand the humidity of the East Coast becaue of the humidity, yet you live in a state whose entire climate is affected by the Pacific Ocean?
Posts: 143 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
My only experience with West Virginia was on a church ski trip.

I quickly learned that skiing is a horrible, horrible "sport."

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

So you don’t like WV cause you can’t crave it in a pumpkin?
That’s pretty sad since WVU’s band can make it on the football filed:
http://tinyurl.com/yeezd4
Not only can they make the WV they can march the outline up the filed, invert it and then back down the field before every WVU home game:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=armiocYufZk

And just for you Elmer here is Country Roads:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=BTFM4jb-MdU

Come on Elmer, don’t you have something better for us? Something personal? Something must make you have this hate inside.

Lalo, it's WVU. The #4 team in the nation in football right now.

Eldrad
Member # 8578

And if you want something academic, WVU is decent university (we've produced something like 26 Rhodes scholars, for example, which is one of the highest numbers of any university in the country), not to mention that one of the greatest mathematicians of the 20th century came from West Virginia (John Nash, subject of A Beautiful Mind, was from Bluefield).
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eldrad:
Wait, wait, wait. From what Lyrhawn said, Elmer, I take it you're from California. You can't stand the humidity of the East Coast because of the humidity, yet you live in a state whose entire climate is affected by the Pacific Ocean?

Shall we discuss the direction of the jet stream and other relevant wind and water currents? How about shapes and types of coastlines?

It is simply a fact that the Pacific coast is FAR less humid (on average) than the Atlantic coast.

Not that humidity seems like much of a reason to actually HATE a place. I mean, I wouldn't want to live in NYC, but I like to visit. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

No, humidity's definitely a valid reason to hate a place. Ohio and New York summers are brutal.

There's no way I'm living anywhere but the Left Coast once I start my career. Home sweet home...

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Not wanting to live somewhere = hating the place?

Huh.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

So... never been through an Ohio summer, I'm guessing.

Are we not feeling particularly cheerful today?

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Michigan sucks royally. Hot humid summers. Cold snowy winters (ironically much worse, not better, when global warming pays a little visit).

I never want to live anywhere else as long as I live. I'll go where I have to for the girl I love, but my heart and my home will always be in Michigan, and it'll always be the place I want to return to.

rivka
Member # 4859

What does wishing to reserve the word "hate" for things that actually, you know, matter, have to do with being cheerful?

I'm actually doing great. [Smile] Had a lovely dinner with my parents at a marvelous (relatively new) French place. The food was superb, and the company was great. [Big Grin]

Eldrad
Member # 8578

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Wait, wait, wait. From what Lyrhawn said, Elmer, I take it you're from California. You can't stand the humidity of the East Coast because of the humidity, yet you live in a state whose entire climate is affected by the Pacific Ocean?

Shall we discuss the direction of the jet stream and other relevant wind and water currents? How about shapes and types of coastlines?

It is simply a fact that the Pacific coast is FAR less humid (on average) than the Atlantic coast.

Not that humidity seems like much of a reason to actually HATE a place. I mean, I wouldn't want to live in NYC, but I like to visit. [Big Grin]

Shall we be needlessly condescending in an online forum, or the fact that the Appalachian Mountains which run straight through West Virginia prevent most of our state from being affected by the Atlantic?
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
WV is a heart-breakingly beautiful state in spots.

It also has some of the worst poverty in the country and some of the lowest level of essential services per capita.

I can't really blame them for trying to bring in more business.

I doubt it'll really work. What attracts business these days is high concentrations of educated work forces, tax incentives for relocation, and a good fit for that business' logistical needs (transportation, infrastructure, etc.)

WV is going to have to invest big time in education over many years to get to where it could attract anything but low-skill jobs in high numbers.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
The best sex I ever had was with a girl from West Virginia.

Um. Anyways. West Virginia has good skiing, too. [Smile]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eldrad
Member # 8578

quote:
Originally posted by Bob_Scopatz:
WV is a heart-breakingly beautiful state in spots.

It also has some of the worst poverty in the country and some of the lowest level of essential services per capita.

I can't really blame them for trying to bring in more business.

I doubt it'll really work. What attracts business these days is high concentrations of educated work forces, tax incentives for relocation, and a good fit for that business' logistical needs (transportation, infrastructure, etc.)

WV is going to have to invest big time in education over many years to get to where it could attract anything but low-skill jobs in high numbers.

You're spot on. The problem is that West Virginia already does invest heavily in education (something like 1/3 to 2/5 of the budget goes to education), but because there are so few job opportunities for highly skilled people, they're forced to move out of state (as I'm going to have to do). That's the reason why the legislature's trying to get businesses in here.
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Pennsylvania had a competition when the slogan was replaced a couple of years ago. The news story at the time was the the governer (Ed Rendell) found "Our governer can eat more than your governer" to be a hilarious idea for the slogan.

It all ended on the same kind of stupid note that WV has now. I don't recall what the new slogan is, but I do know that it used to be a volvo (?) slogan.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Shall we be needlessly condescending in an online forum, or the fact that the Appalachian Mountains which run straight through West Virginia prevent most of our state from being affected by the Atlantic?

Why didn't you just say that to begin with, instead of making ridiculous claims about the East vs. West Coasts?
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not particularly humid here in san jose even though we're right on the bay. The water here is cold, not steamy.

I've been to West Virginia. My parents took us there when we were little and pointed out "Mountain Mommas" like from the song. When rednecks from Arkansas make fun of you for being hick, well, it's time for you to just take off your shoes and marry your sister.

The landscape was pretty though.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, spend time on both coasts. No humidity on the left side of the country.

West Virginia is great place to visit.

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidR
Member # 7473

- posted      Profile for DavidR   Email DavidR         Edit/Delete Post 
As a former resident of South Charleston West Virginia, I prefer the old "Wild, Wonderfull, West Virginia" slogan. I remember when my parents got the new license plates with the slogan on it. I can see them wanting to shake things up after 25 or 30 years of the same thing, but "Wild, Wonderfull, West Virgina" sums things up quite nicely and is kind of appealing.
Posts: 148 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eldrad
Member # 8578

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

Why didn't you just say that to begin with, instead of making ridiculous claims about the East vs. West Coasts?
There was nothing 'ridiculous' about it. Just because the West coast isn't affected as much by the ocean it's on as the East coast doesn't mean that what I said had any less validity. First you were being condescending, now you're trying to be insulting; just stop being a prick, and let's leave it alone.
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You can't stand the humidity of the East Coast becaue of the humidity, yet you live in a state whose entire climate is affected by the Pacific Ocean?
[ROFL]

That's funny. As a life-long Californian, very funny.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Less earthquakes in West Virginia than California, I'd bet. And less of an energy shortage. Not as much of an illegal immigration problem, either. Or as much pollution.

Just sayin'.

[Taunt]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

All very true. And from pictures I've seen, it is in many places a VERY beautiful state. [Smile]
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

They also have a hell of a college football team that I'm not looking forward to Rutgers playing at the end of the season. [Big Grin]
Jay
Member # 5786

Where is Elmer.......
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Being a NoVa resident, I tend to think of WV as that embarrasing drunk uncle that you try to forget lives next door...but that's just me...
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Just because the West coast isn't affected as much by the ocean it's on as the East coast doesn't mean that what I said had any less validity.
What you said is completely valid, if you actually were referring to the cooling effect the Pacific Ocean has. But you implied humidity, and that simply is not the case. I'm still waiting for any evidence you might have that it is.
quote:
First you were being condescending, now you're trying to be insulting;
Aw, did I not achieve insulting? Darnit!
quote:
being a prick,
Biological impossibility.

Look, I said from the start that I think hating a place for its humidity is dumb. I have said nothing negative about your beloved state, and have in fact read with interest the information you have presented, since it happens to be a state that I know little about. But if you're going to make nonsensical claims about MY state, expect to be called on them.

And for the record, I was not going for condescension OR insulting -- until this post, anyway.

Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Humidity? Sacramento!
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:
They also have a hell of a college football team that I'm not looking forward to Rutgers playing at the end of the season. [Big Grin]

By the way, go Rutgers this weekend. Beat Pitt!

Want you all to keep moving up for our big date!

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, they could have gone the way Ottawa did. "Ottawa: Technically Beautiful." ... I mean, seriously, who thinks these things up?
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

quote:
Where is Elmer.......
I was at school.

quote:
Less earthquakes in West Virginia than California
Yeah, see here's the thing. I have lived in California for 17 years now, and I have felt one earthquake. I don't know why everyone from the rest of the country seems to thing we have thing falling down everyday.

And Michigan does suck. Horrible place.

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Well Elmer, then you know how I feel.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Fewer earthquakes. Not less.

We have fewer tornados.

Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

Yeah, California doesn't have any tornados or Hurricanes.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Artemisia Tridentata:
Humidity? Sacramento!

I don't believe I said there was nowhere in California that was humid. Merely that there is far more humidity, on average, on the East Coast.
Jay
Member # 5786

So Elmer what about the pumpkin thing. I was hoping for some sort of response to the band thing……
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.