FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Massachusetts school bans tag (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Massachusetts school bans tag
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
What is the world coming to?

quote:
School Bans Tag, Other Chase Games

ATTLEBORO, Massachusetts (AP) -- Tag, you're out!

Officials at an elementary school south of Boston have banned kids from playing tag, touch football and any other unsupervised chase game during recess for fear they'll get hurt and hold the school liable.

Recess is "a time when accidents can happen," said Willett Elementary School Principal Gaylene Heppe, who approved the ban.

While there is no districtwide ban on contact sports during recess, local rules have been cropping up. Several school administrators around Attleboro, a city of about 45,000 residents, took aim at dodgeball a few years ago, saying it was exclusionary and dangerous. (Watch how second-grader Kelsey interpreted the rule -- 1:30)

Elementary schools in Cheyenne, Wyoming, and Spokane, Washington, also recently banned tag during recess. A suburban Charleston, South Carolina, school outlawed all unsupervised contact sports.

"I think that it's unfortunate that kids' lives are micromanaged and there are social skills they'll never develop on their own," said Debbie Laferriere, who has two children at Willett, about 40 miles south of Boston. "Playing tag is just part of being a kid."

Another Willett parent, Celeste D'Elia, said her son feels safer because of the rule. "I've witnessed enough near collisions," she said.

[ October 20, 2006, 09:18 AM: Message edited by: FlyingCow ]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Oh wait, this is serious?

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh...lord. What is wrong with people?
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Soon children will be wrapped in bubblewrap in school.

The tough kid will be the one who pops his bubbles.

The *really* tough kid will be the one who pops his bubbles DURING CLASS! (he's scarey.)

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

This is just...so...so...stupid! There really is no other way to describe it.
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The school is not allowing kids to play tag for fear of being sued?

Clearly, the remedy is to sue the school for not allowing the kids to play tag. [Razz]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
BRILLIANT!
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Red rover, red rover, send rivka right over!
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
We had Red Rover banned during elementary school recess. That was 1995, it's still banned at the school today. My whole class was playing one day (this was third grade) and the boys line stepped onto the basketball court, when a girl came running at them, they broke her through, and she fell onto the concrete and got a bad concussion. She spent about three days in the hospital.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Recess isn't politically correct anymore anyways. My wife's students only get around 10 minutes.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone fit tag-playing into their practice of religion?

Then banning it would be against the first amendment.... [Wink]

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
In sue happy America, what other alternative does the school have?

If they have the parents sign waivers for their kids, it's undeniable that a kid who's parents didn't give permission will sneak into the group.

Don't get me wrong, I'm rather upset that this happened, but I really don't blame the school for coming to this conclusion, nor do I think this will be the end of it.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I absolutely LOATHED Red Rover when I was a kid.

But tag was fun.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JennaDean:
Can anyone fit tag-playing into their practice of religion?

Then banning it would be against the first amendment.... [Wink]

Actually if tag was part of a religion, forching kids to play it I believe would be a violation of the constitution.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Why do kids need to be playing tag or chase at recess instead of other things?
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
CT: So... what things are on your approved list of recess activities? Maybe we can set up a schedule so they kids know what they can and must play and for how long?
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Wallball is likely next on the list... and that makes me sad.

Edit: What else would they do? Slides are going to cause burns and scrapes if used wrong, the monkey bars are going to sprain a wrist or an ankle, and don't even get the lawyers drooling over what lawsuits the swingset might bring on!

Also, shouldn't we as a nation be ENCOURAGING our kids to run and other activities that may in fact be considered physical exertion?

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidR
Member # 7473

- posted      Profile for DavidR   Email DavidR         Edit/Delete Post 
I certainly don't think that they should have to play tag or chase at recess, but they should certainly be allowed to.
Posts: 148 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

Recess is supposed to be unstructured time where kids can just play. Kids need to play!
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

...and I find it amusing that a link for Chrismukkah http://www.chrismukkah.com/ was at the bottom of the page...
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
This is slightly less silly than banning the body spray, which was my first thought, oddly enough. Maybe I watch too much tv.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Politically, and non-sueable Correct Recess Activities

10) Pulaties, or however you spell it.
9) Sit Quietly and meditate, but please no prayer.
8) Halo 2
7) Texas Holdem Poker. (they aren't just stealing your lunch money anymore--they are bluffing it out of you)
6) Target Practice with NRA provided semi-automatic rifles that are not to leave the shooting range so put that down now little Bobbie or its time out for you.
5) World of Warcraft
4) Cops and Robbers is replaced by Marines and Terrorists.
3) Senator Foley's special time for young men
2) Sexual Harrasment Un-Tag. See how close you can come to tagging the other person without getting hit with a sexual harrasment lawsuit.

and the number 1, Presidentially sponsored, administratevly approved recess game is.....

1) Waterboarding (see, its not torture, its fun.)

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember teachers yelling, "No running on the playgroud!" when I was a kid. That was a long, long time ago. Back in the good ol' days, even.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidR
Member # 7473

When exactly were these good ol' days that you speak of? My good ol'days were back in the 70's and many activities that involved running were encouraged.
Posts: 148 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Frisco, I'm right with you. I thought they meant the body spray as well. But seriously, banning tag? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. It really scares me to think what our country is coming to lately.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

The ban tag so next year they can complain our children are even fatter.
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
I moved to South of Boston area (though not this area) and I have to say that my 2nd grader gets one recess (15 minutes I believe) after lunch. There is no play equipment other than spray painted hopscotch, and four square lines on the hard top. There aren't very many games they are allowed to play (I've suggested taking marbles, skipping ropes...only to be told they aren't allowed). Incidentally, he gets P.E. once a week. (He is allowed to take his own soccer ball but there are no balls provided.)

I researched this for one of my Elementary Ed classes when I was still in school and what I found was that kids have an increased tendancy to perform better when they have physical activity several times a day.

I have a problem with the limited amounts of movement that my kids have in school.

kmboots, I remember that too, but running (for us) was permitted in the big grassy areas.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine were back in the 70's, too. Maybe our teachers were just more strict - or lazier. And this was on a blacktop playground. At the school where there was grass, kids could run. Of course, we also had "dangerous" playground stuff like jungle gyms and merry-go-rounds and swings.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
not to mention the teeter totters...
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

I remember when being a kid meant falling down at some point. Heck, those scrapes and bruises were a mark of honor.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Look into www.rescuingrecess.com to see how people are going about rescuing recess. I can't vouch for the site myself, but I have been to Cartoon Networks "Rescueing Recess" web site back a couple of weeks, and they suggested it.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
We had Red Rover banned during elementary school recess.

The "injury" banning for Red Rover is in fact a cover story. The real reason it was band was because not only does it involve holding hands, it encourages same-sex hand holding!

The truth is revealed!

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I didn't know that Rick Reilly was prophetic.

He predicted this back in 2001, it seems.

When I read it, it was just a very funny article... now it's a little closer to truth.

An excerpt:
quote:
But Williams and his fellow wusses aren't stopping at dodgeball. In their Physical Education Hall of Shame they've also included duck-duck-goose and musical chairs. Seriously. So, if we give them dodgeball, you can look for these games to be banned next:

Tag. Referring to any child as it is demeaning and hurtful. Instead of the child hollering, "You're it!" we recommend, "You're special!"

Red Rover. Inappropriate labeling of children as animals. Also, the use of the word red evokes Communist undertones.

Sardines. Unfairly leaves one child alone at the end as the loser -- a term psychologists have deemed unacceptable.

Hide-and-seek. No child need hide or be sought. The modern child runs free in search of himself.

Baseball. Involves wrong-headed notions of stealing, errors and gruesome hit-and-run. Players should always be safe, never out.

Hopscotch. Sounds vaguely alcoholic, not to mention demeaning to our friends of Scottish ancestry.

Marbles. Winning others' marbles is overly capitalistic.

Marco Polo. Mocks the blind.

Capture the flag. Mimics war.

Kick the can. Unfair to the can.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have to say that my 2nd grader gets one recess (15 minutes I believe) after lunch.
Wow. That's terrible.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
This is idiotic and short-sighted, but considering the stories I hear from my mother and other teachers I know, the real problem is parents; parents who had their childhood so structured that they make absurd demands of schools [EDIT: for their children]. There's one example in particular that just completely floors me, every time I think of it.

In fact, in my mother's school, hardly anyone allows their kids to walk to school... The same school I walked to starting at age 7/8. It's sad... They had to build a new "drop-off" area for parents to leave/pick up their kids. What a waste of money.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
See, this is one of the reasons I'm not nor do I aspire to be a school administrator of any kind. I'm stubborn enough that if I were in charge and someone brought a lawsuit against my school/district/whatever for an injury incurred while playing tag...man, I'd bankrupt the school/district/whatever fighting that lawsuit.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidR
Member # 7473

quote:
Mine were back in the 70's, too. Maybe our teachers were just more strict - or lazier. And this was on a blacktop playground. At the school where there was grass, kids could run. Of course, we also had "dangerous" playground stuff like jungle gyms and merry-go-rounds and swings.
I remember all of that "dangerous" playground equipment too. I fail to recall a single incident at any of my three elementry schools where someone got a serious injury on that playground equipment. I went to elementry school in Rhode Island for K-2, West Virginia for 3-6, and Indiana for the last half of 6th grade, and running during recess and "dangerous" playground equipment were central parts of recess in all of those schools.

I seem to recall first hearing about how dangerous playground equipment supposedly was when my younger sisters were going through elementry school in the mid 80's. If anything has changed to make playground equipment more dangerous it is probably less maintenance of the equipment and less adult supervision.

littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
My first reflexive thought when I read this: That's great. They can ban tag, but so many school districts keep saying they can't do anything about bullying because it's just "kids being kids". [Wall Bash]

Second impression: I wonder what they would have done with Socko, which we played constantly both at recess and during Phys. Ed. in fifth and sixth grades. Socko was basically dodgeball on steroids. Instead of standing in a circle as with dodgeball, there was a court much like a soccer field, except on the blacktop. It started out with one goalie on each end and his team all in the court at the opposite end of the court as their goalie. Using a hard orange ball the size of a soccer ball, one goalie threw as hard as possible at the team between him and his team. If the ball hit you and you couldn't catch it, you were out and had to join your goalie at the end of the court. The ball changed hands to the other team whenever someone was put out. The last team with a member or members left inside the court was the winner.

We had great fun with this game, and as far as I can recall, no one got hurt. But the ball was hard and to play the game correctly you had to throw the ball as hard as you could. School officials today would have kittens.

You know, we live in a society that a) wants no children, just a bunch of miniature adults and 2) is scared to death that someone is going to have some fun.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
My school banned throwing snowballs, which we thought a great injustice. We had a target set up in the winter months, though, and you were allowed to throw snowballs at that, but not at people, even if you had agreed beforehand to have a snowball war.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

We had a set of rainbow bars that a kid broke his arm on once when he slipped. The reaction? His parents told him to be more careful on the rainbow bars next time.

When did it all become the school's fault?

King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
As an incidental aside, I never knew you could play dodgeball any other way than what lma describes, though we called it cannonball. I've always thought that's what you lot were referring to when you said 'dodgeball'. How curious.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
CT: So... what things are on your approved list of recess activities? Maybe we can set up a schedule so they kids know what they can and must play and for how long?

*smile

I was asking a question, not challenging you. It was an honest question.

I don't have an approved list of recess activities. I am just asking why tag and chase are an important part of recess.

---

Edited to add: I detect a note of scorn or impatient anger in your question, and I'm not sure how to respond to that effectively, other than to just restate my initial question. You are invited to read it in a voice of mild befuddlement, if that makes it go down any easier. [Smile]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

CT: becuase children like to play them. Because we all played them since the dawn of time. And because people go on and on about how fat our kids are getting and chase games burn calories.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
CT: becuase children like to play them. Because we all played them since the dawn of time. And because people go on and on about how fat our kids are getting and chase games burn calories.

So, you are saying that these games in particular are important to keep because:

1) this is something kids want to do, and
2) these activities burn calories.

Am I understanding you correctly? Is there anything else I'm missing? (Honest questions, once again.)

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

It's also harmless and a tradition.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Tag is one of the few active games that I still see kids playing; many of the games I played as a child are nowhere to be seen when I visit a school during recess. I don't know if they're now discouraged or kids just never learned them and don't know how to play them. Balls, jump ropes and other equipment, which were in short supply when I was in school, seem practically non-existent now. It seems pretty stupid to me to ban one of the few active games kids can still and still want to play, and then complain that America's children are getting obese.

As for the "unsupervised" part, what are they talking about? Every recess I remember, we had a minimum of one teacher and two teacher aides on the field, usually more. They didn't direct the games, but it was enough to keep kids from playing too rough or otherwise doing dangerous things or breaking the rules. I have personally, when I worked in an after-school care center, supervised groups of 40 or more kids between the first and eighth grades alone when someone called in sick and someone else had a family emergency and had to leave or something more than once, and I was able to successfully keep an eye on everyone at once. So I would say that if kids are watched just enough to ensure a safe level of play, nothing too rough, they can be active and still not injure anyone. (The key is to immediately isolate anyone who's playing too rough, sit them down for a few minutes, and let them take a little break before you allow them back to the game. Some kids just need several warnings/reminders before they learn how carefully they need to watch themselves to ensure they don't start playing too rough.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Okay. So, I take it that these are the following qualities which are important & relevant for tag and chase games:

1) liked by kids
2) burns calories
3) harmless
4) has a tradition

Regardless of whether all of these accrue to tag and other games of cha[s]e as always played, they don't seem to pick out just these activities, no? (Just asking, not making a point.)

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

See, to me, recess is the equivalent of "free time" for kids. It's "play time" - time for them to get outside, burn off some energy, build a sense of camaraderie, engage in social activities with their peers, etc.

To step in and tell them "you can't play X" is just silly.

It's not like they're saying "you can't run around and hit each other with baseball bats" - that's understandable. There are rules on the playground, of course.

They are saying "you can't chase each other around at all". It's not just tag, but touch football and any other game where one child chases another.

So, if recess is loosely supervised free play time, what are these kids supposed to play? Structured team-based games only, like kickball and basketball?

I can't imagine my childhood without freeze tag, tag, manhunt or touch football. The only other games that were ever played were "ledge" (a version of wallball or horse with a tennis ball), kickball, and basketball. And with a limited number of balls, the last two were mostly standing around waiting to play.

No chase games? That's just absurd. Might as well ask them to walk slowly around in circles every day for recess... they could call it "kiddie nascar" or something.

Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

Man, schools would freak if Ultimate Frisbee was ever picked up by elementary level kids.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So, if recess is loosely supervised free play time, what are these kids supposed to play? Structured team-based games only, like kickball and basketball?

Which would leave a LOT of kids like me who hated most games and sports but would occasionally join in a tag or other "chase" game with my friends (as well as the more occasional hand-clapping, circle, jump rope, or hop-scotch game-- I am, after all, a girl) sitting on the sidelines doing much less active activities most recesses.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.