FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Wireless providers: Convince us yours is the best

Author Topic: Wireless providers: Convince us yours is the best
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm stuck in my Cingular plan for another 10 months, but I'm already scoping out new plans. I have Cingular because I used to have AT&T Wireless and all my family has Cingular as well as two or three dear friends I talk to a lot.

Fewest dropped calls my bloomin' arse. Puh-lease. Because the bulk of my talk time is mobile to mobile (within Cingular) I use few of my anytime minutes. I'm still forking over $40 a month plus all the irritating taxes. They told me that there isn't a cheaper plan "for my phone." I believe it, but it makes me want to do a pay as you go plan.

What do you guys think of your cell phone system/plan/provider? Good experiences? Bad ones?

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I use T-Mobile and the only bad thing I can think of is that they insist on shutting my phone off when I don't pay the bill. I don't think I've ever had a dropped call and the plan is relatively inexpensive, about 20 something a month. But I don't talk on the phone much, and when I do it's usually to someone that also has T-Mobile, so that's free.

But they did kind of sucker me in with all the add-ons when I first signed up. It just took a couple of months for me to figure out I don't need 18 kajillion text messages, insurance, internet capabilities, 43 million billion minutes and a headset. (all numbers quoted are completely accurate)

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Around here, Cingular actually is the best. They have the most towers, blah blah.

Whatever you do, DON'T GET SPRINT. Sprint is evil. They often enjoyed shutting off my phone service for no reason on Friday evenings (when they would inform me via text message that they had done so) and demand money that I didn't owe them. They continued to think I owed them money for over a year after my contract ended. Sprint is bad.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Considering my experiences with every wireless carrier under the sun (yes, I've pretty much had them ALL), my suggestion would be to use this one...
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wireless providers: Convince us yours is the best
um, I can't. I have Cingular and it sucks.

(I also used to have AT&T, which I was extremely pleased with.)

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
The major factors, imo, are:

1. Network coverage in the areas you will be using the cell phone most of the time.

2. What types of calls you will be making.

I also use T-Mobile, but mainly because they have the cheapest cheap plan. I haven't had any coverage issues, but I live in the Bay Area where networks are fairly good for all carriers.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I have NEVER had a satisfactory wireless provider. I've used AT&T, Cingular, and T-Mobile, and none of them have been any better than passable. I find the rates fairly expensive, the coverage spotty, and the customer service sub-par at all 3 providers.

At this point, I feel like wireless is a necessity, and the providers know that, so they don't really try very hard.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I've done okay with Verizon . . . . but then, this is my first wireless experience -- and as we know, virgins always think the first is best.

[Eek!]

Did I just say that?

[Blushing]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
T-Mobile is HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been with them for 5 years. Things were wonderful in 'honeymoon' land for almost 4 of them. Then just after I re-upped my contract (to get a better rate plan that was only available if you renewed your contract. i had been contractless since i'd completed my first year up until that sad, sad day.) it all went downhill. Fast.

I've spent the past year arguing with them about what random charges they're assessing me (i had to argue with them about a 200, now that's a good chunk of money to me!, dollar fee for a handset replacement. they claimed they never got it, i had the ups tracking number to show they'd received the faulty one. somehow i still had to pay it and then no, not get my money back after they confirmed what i'd told them but got a credit towards future bills), getting bad information about the plans that were available, snooty call center reps who don't take good notes... GAH! I could go on and on but I fear this post is taking on the personality of a rant.

That being said, my contract is up on 12-21 and I'm leaving. To be honest, I really don't care if they offer me free service for 6 months when I tell them I'm leaving because it's principle at this point. I've wasted too much of my time at this point, forget about the money, on something that's supposed to be a convenience.

My point: don't go with T-mobile and please, everyone, keep posting about your experiences so I've got a good idea of where to look come 12-21!

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Talk more about Verizon. I've heard mixed reports about it. My brother has T-mobile and likes it, but he's only had it for a few months...
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I have Verizon and I like it. But it used to be the only provider who got service on certain parts of Cornell's campus, so I might be biased.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

One of my friends went to get a Verizon phone, and they told him he had to put down a $1000 deposit. Yes, you read that correctly.

...even more outrageous - he did.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Originally posted by Zalmoxis:
The major factors, imo, are:

1. Network coverage in the areas you will be using the cell phone most of the time.

2. What types of calls you will be making.

I also use T-Mobile, but mainly because they have the cheapest cheap plan. I haven't had any coverage issues, but I live in the Bay Area where networks are fairly good for all carriers.

There's also a little thing called service. When I was with AT&T I knew how much I was going to pay each month. It was in my plan. I also knew what to expect if I went over. If I called 411, they could connect me automatically, but they could also perform other services for me. The could tell me movie times without me having to call the theater, they could sell me movie tickets over the phone, and they could make restaurant reservations over the phone. When I wanted to pay my bill, I could call customer service any time, 24/7, and pay through their automated system, or, if for some reason I wanted to talk to a human operator, I could.

Since the unholy union, my cell phone bill has increased by roughly $50 a month. The thing is, my plan has not. There are a lot of little nickel and dime fees now that were part of my plan before. I was also forced to go with a plan with way more minutes than I ever needed in order to get internet, which was never an issue with AT&T. When I had been with Cingular for about three months, I caught a mistake in my billing that was costing me about $30 extra a month, and straightened it out. I believe that mistake is back, but I can't convince anybody, because the bill is incomprehensible, and the people on the phone are idiots. Speaking of customer service, it is not open in the middle of the night or on weekends. And 411 sometimes will connect you directly and sometimes not--it's completely unpredictable--but it will no longer make restaurant reservations, tell me movie times, or sell me movie tickets.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Ooh, and AT*T used to give a substantial government employee discount. Cingular gives a negligable one.
pH
Member # 1350

I will, perhaps tonight, relay a horror story about how easy it is for someone to steal your identity and obtain copious new cell phone plans with Cingular.

-pH

hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Verizon! That's what my family has. They have had very good customer service for us...and no one asked us for a 1,000 dollar deposit. ( [Eek!] ) They're not the cheapest people out there, but they have really good coverage. At least that's been my experience. Paul and I are on my family's plan, so we just pay my dad for two extra lines (9.99 each) and the lowest amount of text messages they offer (4.99 each). Pretty good set up. [Smile]
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
One of my friends went to get a Verizon phone, and they told him he had to put down a $1000 deposit. Yes, you read that correctly.

Actually, it seems to be a standard that if your credit isn't absolutely clean you will need to pay $500-$1000. It's not that unusual. I have Cingular and they wanted $500.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by Ben:
quote:
Originally posted by pH:

Actually, it seems to be a standard that if your credit isn't absolutely clean you will need to pay $500-$1000. It's not that unusual. I have Cingular and they wanted $500.
I'm sure my credit isn't absolutely clean, and I don't think I put down ANY money for my Cingular contract. I might've put down $125 for my Sprint phone, but I don't remember. And that was the day I turned eighteen.

-pH

MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I would NOT recommend Sprint, based on their borderline illegal business practices. Someone else took a Sprint phone out in my name (apparently, Sprint will let anyone get a phone with almost no paperwork or checking). Fortunately, I found out soon and told them it was fraudulent. They canceled the phone and told me I wouldn't owe anything.

Six months later, I found out that they sold my "bill" to a collection agency, who demanded I pay them nearly $300 and tried to ruin my credit. It took me 3 months and letters to the state attorney general before things were cleared up. Sprint was no help at all during the entire process, and claimed no responsibility.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
I would NOT recommend Sprint, based on their borderline illegal business practices. Someone else took a Sprint phone out in my name (apparently, Sprint will let anyone get a phone with almost no paperwork or checking). Fortunately, I found out soon and told them it was fraudulent. They canceled the phone and told me I wouldn't owe anything.

Six months later, I found out that they sold my "bill" to a collection agency, who demanded I pay them nearly $300 and tried to ruin my credit. It took me 3 months and letters to the state attorney general before things were cleared up. Sprint was no help at all during the entire process, and claimed no responsibility.

They sent the bill that I owed them for the year that I DID NOT HAVE ANY SERVICE FROM THEM because I had switched to a different provider to a colleciton agency as well.

But as to someone opening a phone in your name, that happened to a friend of mine who's on Cingular. They have pretty much no safeguards, and when my friend tried to call to fix the situation, they closed the fraudulent account but claimed no responsibility for the (I think) $900 she supposedly owed them.

-pH

Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Originally posted by Ben:
quote:
Originally posted by pH:

I have had, at times, pretty bad credit, and I've never been asked for a deposit. Heck, the deposits I've been asked for for lanline phone and for electricity were never as much as that. $500 is outrageous, and $1000 is even more so, and I would tell them where they could stick that.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I never understood why they call it 'deposit' anyway ---- because they NEVER give it back....
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Verizon . . . let's see . . . I got the free, less expensive phone. Pay about $42.00 a month after taxes/charges are added in for 450 monthly "anytime/anywhere" minutes. Coverage has been fine. No deposit required. And my "cheap" phone has the best ringer I've ever heard -- *grin* -- AND the one time to date I had to call for customer service, they were very courteous and helpful and walked me through the fix and then called to ensure the fix worked . . . pretty nifty, if you ask me!
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
Verizon isn't neccesarily the cheapest, but I've found that, in general, if Verizon doesn't get reception in an area, no one else does, either, and they get reception lots of places no one else does.
I've also had good experiences with them customer service-wise. I've sometimes had to wait a long time at their store for service, but I've also been the shmuck at the head of the line with a problem so difficult that they had to spend forever helping me, which slowed down the line. I've even had a representative help me for several hours trying to make sure that I got the best possible deal and got the exact phone I wanted.

Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Question: I'm thinking of getting a prepaid/pay as you go phone in addition to this one (at least until I get my problems with the inherently defective RAZR solved) for emergencies and the like, just in case. Who's good?

-pH

Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:
I never understood why they call it 'deposit' anyway ---- because they NEVER give it back....

I've gotten my deposits back on electricity and landline when I've moved, and at least once I've had them tell me that I no longer need to have a deposit and then give me a credit.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been w/ Verizon for about 4 years (since I got my first cell phone). No horror stories. I don't do anything fancy w/ my cell--no photos, Internet, or even text messages. I went w/ Verizon because I wasn't sure where I was going to end up living and I was planning to do a lot of traveling, so I wanted good national coverage. I do not have perfect credit by any means, and I do not recall being asked for a deposit (if it were anything over $25 I'm sure I'd have remembered).

I have gotten some good-sized fees tacked onto my bill when I've been traveling and use my phone more than normal--roaming and overage, I guess. But normally I'm well under my allotted minutes and my bill is not a surprise.

Hmmm . . . y'know, come to think of it, I think I should have just run out of my 2-year contract a month or so ago and I haven't heard anything from them. I'm going to have to look into that.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I ended up having to buy a text message package. I never was a big texter...but texting is more reliable than calling in case of natural disaster. Since then, I've become a texting fiend; my boyfriend and I both had to get data packages because it's easier for us to communicate that way when he's busy at work.

-pH

Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
I have Verizon (family plan), and I'm pretty happy. Service is pretty good all over. My family has had phone issues (dropping them in toilets, etc), and the customer service has been stellar.

It's hard for me to pay $55/mo for "digital phone" (ie, ripoff VoIP) and $40/mo for cell, though. I think I might just have to drop the VoIP and try to make it with just a cell.

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
Pre-paid or Pay-as-you-go while certainly serving a nitch for some people is not all it is cracked up to be.

First, the per-minute cost is very high, not outrageous, but definitely high.

Second, the minutes you purchase are only good for a limited amount of time. The time-limit used to be 30 days, but it is 60 or 90 days now and that's not quite so bad if you use your phone a lot.

I would like to get a phone for roadside emergencies, but the cost is just too high to keep purchasing minutes I never use. Even if I used the phone normally, I would never use the available minutes. So, what wasn't used would be wasted. In that case, what initially seemed cheap becomes somewhat expensive.

Further, I find the websites and the printed product information of the pre-paid carriers to NOT be very forth coming. They are usually full of 'happy' sales talk but little clear substantial information. Of course, that is true of all wireless phone companies. They go to great length to make sure you DON'T understand what is going on.

Consider the possibility of a local/regional carrier. Locally (Minnesota), most people I know use and are happy with Midwest Wireless. They primarily cover the Minnesota, Iowa, and Wisconsin area, but the do have a nation-wide calling plan.

Coverage seems to be reasonably good, customer service seems to be reasonably good, the plans seem to be reasonable priced with no surprises. They do have plans as low as $15/month.

Now, it is unlikely that Midwest Wireless is available to you, but there may be other regional carries in your area that can give you better pricing and more personal service.

For what it's worth.

Steve/BlueWizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I just see no point in having a monthly plan for a phone I'm not going to use. [Frown] My car is a pre-paid phone in and of itself, but the minutes are very expensive. I have 100 right now, but that's because Onstar was trying to appease me. I'd never actually pay for that; it's way too much money.

I really don't want to have two cell phone contracts to deal with.

-pH

Icarus
Member # 3162

OnStar creeps me out.
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Pay as you go plans are perfect for me; if you're a low volume caller like I am, I'd say "go for it!"

I pay $100 for 1000 minutes, and they last a year before I need to renew them (which can be done by buying between $10 and $100 more of minutes). Since I use my cell phone between 60 and 90 minutes a month, I'm essentially paying $6 to $9 a month for cellular service.

Definitely not for everyone, but if you're like me and hate having a cell phone in the first place, ideal. The huge additional bonus is the cellular companies have NONE of my contact information, including my real name and address.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.