FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So..."Guiding Light" takes place in the Marvel Universe?!?

Author Topic: So..."Guiding Light" takes place in the Marvel Universe?!?
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Just read in the Comic Shop News that on November first the long-running daytime soap opera Guiding Light will introduce a new Marvel super-hero as an ongoing character.

Likewise, Marvel Comics will do a comic in which various Marvel characters meet the Guiding Light characters.

This is like internet fusion fandom gone real!

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
So now some soap opera hussy can have Wolverine's love-cub?

I don't know whether to be happy or aghast.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
That is just bizarre.

If it were April first, I'd know what was going on.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

To be fair, the classic Marvel Super-Hero paradigm shares a -lot- in common with daytime soap operas. The glory days of Stan Lee's Spider-Man run, or Claremont's first X-Men run are good examples.

Still, this is bizarre. [Smile]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Mwahahahaha, my soap opera must be recognized by one and all for its glorious glories!
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris is on the case.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, man. I just recently weaned my mother from watching that after her having followed it since before I was born. And now this. I might have to start watching again. [Eek!] [Big Grin]
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

You know, there was once a clone on Guiding Light. You can never hate it when there was once a clone on it. I remember that.
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I know they've done heart transplants. Twice, the first one right after the first one in real life. And there was a period of time when they did fantasy sequences on a regular basis...there was a character married to (I think) an archaeologist, and she was quite fantasy prone.

But I really don't remember the clone, I don't think. Can you elaborate, Fyfe?

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
So did the residents of GL's Springfield just go on with their affairs (pun intended) during the numerous alien invasions and other world-shaking events that occurred over the years in the Marvel Universe? You'd assume somebody would mention an invasion by symbiotes or giant robots hunting down mutants all over the nation.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
My high school lab partner was (is?) on Guiding Light.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

Oh, yes. Reva Shayne Lewis was in a plane crash and reports came back that she had died, and Josh (her husband) just couldn't take the grief, so after a while (while Kim Zimmer had a nice vacation), his doctor friend had a clone made of Reva, and they had this potion they would give her that made her age really quickly so she could grow up into normal-age Reva and love on Josh all the time.

BUT. In fact Reva had not really died, but survived! and she was on a desert island with this other guy (don't remember him very well)! and finally she made her way back to Springfield to her beloved husband!

BUT. The clone got to her first. And imprisoned her in some secret room or something, and kept her captive there, because Clone Reva wanted Josh all to herself. It was very exciting, and then one day, one day, Josh discovered Reva in the secret room, wasting away and pining for him, and oh, she was not dead after all, and here was his real live Reva restored to him!

And eventually the clone nobly drank all of the remaining age potion in order to kill herself so that real Reva and Josh could be together.

It wasn't a very popular plotline. My mum and I were addicted to it, but the world of soap opera viewers apparently did not like it much. It would have been around 1998, I think.

pH--who is your high school lab partner? Perhaps it is my favorite character!

Jen

littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

Ah. Thanks, Fyfe. I remember the desert island part, vaguely, but the clone part completely escaped me. That was while I was in school and only heard bits and pieces of the plot from my mother. Figures it would have involved Reva. [Smile]
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I'm going to go with Kurt Busiek's take on it, Dagonee- When the fantastic occurs everyday, even it can become routine.

"Oh, Galactus again? Huh. Well, who wants more KFC?"

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Finally saw a promo for this on TV.

By George, it's a bona fide super-hero origin. Complete with unlikely accident, vow to fight for justice, and weird powers.

Spider-Man and the Hulk are also mentioned.

This is such a crazy cross-promotion, it just might work.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.