FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I got into College!

Author Topic: I got into College!
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I just recieved my first acceptance letter. Although I don't expect I'll end up at this particular school, it's nice to know I'll be going somewhere. Hehe

[Party]

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!!
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice Job!!
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Woohoo! Congratulations!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
That's great, Little Doc! [Big Grin]
What do you want to major in?

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the wonderful world of government debt!
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
Yay!
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Right now I'm geared towards Information Systems Technology. It's basically, knowing how to use things, and helping others learn. I know it wil be more complicated than this, but I've always been sort of a "computer nerd" so I feel like it will be just like getting paid for doing what I do every day, messing around with computers.

I'm also seriously considering becoming a teacher. A secondary History teacher to be exact. The history department in my High school is just so terrible that I feel I owe it to society to do it the right way. And plus, I love history. Hehe.

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
*whispers*

Apply to Indiana University and major in Informatics! Messing around with computers with more variety, depth, and academic rigor (if you seek it out)!

http://informatics.indiana.edu

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

*whispers*

Way ahead of you [Wink]

fugu13
Member # 2859

Yay!

You're pretty darn likely to be accepted, btw; IU admission isn't exactly . . . difficult.

I'll be graduating this december with a degree in Informatics, and quite possibly entering the PhD program in Informatics (in the area of Social and Organizational Informatics) the following fall. So who knows, if you come here I might end up teaching some of your classes [Wink] .

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

I should be hearing back from IU any day now. It would be awesome if you taught one of my classes. Not only would I be learning to do stuff that I love doing, I'd become a real Jatraquero!
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!

I've already been accepted to one school so far as well. Go Arizona State! Now I just have to apply to its honors college. And to the other schools that I'm going to apply (Caltech, USC, and Rice).

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got accepted into my choice school- Olivet Nazarene University. 'Twas the only place that I applied to- it's not terribly hard to get in- but it's the right place for me.

Been offered a scholarship already of 11,000 a year for 4 years (about $1,000 short of half)

So... yay!

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
LD, let me know if you're going to visit IU.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Little_Doctor:
I should be hearing back from IU any day now. It would be awesome if you taught one of my classes. Not only would I be learning to do stuff that I love doing, I'd become a real Jatraquero!

If you go to IU, you'll become real in the blink of an eye. Please let us know, we'll throw a welcoming party for you or something.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

*plans new study: "Internet Social Capital Influences on College Choice" *

Actually, that could be a smashing good study, carried out properly. Plus, there are rather a few recruitment offices that would be extremely interested to have consultations related to it.

Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:
You're pretty darn likely to be accepted, btw; IU admission isn't exactly . . . difficult.

Well, maybe that's true for some departments.

[Wink]

[Big Grin]

(I kid, I kid!)

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

I said nothing about individual school admission [Razz]

But yes, admission to our world-class School of Music is much, much harder than admission to the university itself [Smile] .

Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

I completely forgot to update you guys! I got accepted to IU! My dad and I are planing to come out and visit with a friend of mine, but we haven't set a date yet. As soon as I know when I'll be out there I'll update again.

I should also be hearing back from Penn State within a few days, and they are my top choice at the moment. Crossing my fingers!

Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! My fingers are crossed for Penn State.
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent! And good luck!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
Woooo! Congratulations!
Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Just remember to let me know when.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats and good luck!
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!!! College is soooooo much fun. Enjoy it but you can always go back for a Grad degree if you didn't have enough fun the first time around.
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats LD! And have fun becoming real, when you go visit IU!
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! And may your academic career be very fulfilling.
Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats LD! You'll have to let us know when you're planning your visit to Bloomington, I'm sure the Bloomingtonites will plan a con for you in a heartbeat. And if you visit during the first week or so of winter break (the last week of December) I may even be able to attend it, cause I'll be home [Smile]
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, definitely let us know when you're coming to IU. At the very least, we can all have dinner or something.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

The tentative date right now is January 28th-29th. That's a Sunday going into a Monday. I think we are busy with a tour most of the day Monday, and then we'll be leaving that night. Dinner on Sunday night? I don't see a problem unless we arrive really late, I'm not sure what time the flight is.
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

*Bump*
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to do it just because...
Boo IU! Go Purdue!

<ducks to avoid retribution>
[Smile] but seriously, congrats on getting you first acceptance letter(s), and keep in mind that as long as you're in the right mindset you should be able to have a great college experience at just about any university.

On the off chance that you're considering Purdue, while I can't give you a tour anymore I'd be happy to give advise suggestions etc. [Smile]

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

I'll be available for that period, and I'd be particularly happy to introduce you to the Informatics program.
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

As of yesterday I've been accepted to UMass, and a decision has been made at UAlbany. I'll have to wait and see what that decision is when it comes in the mail.

The date that I'll be in IU is definelty the 28th and 29th of January now. I'll be arriving at around 3:00-3:30 on Sunday.

Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations again! Hoping for the best.
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Satlin
Member # 1593

- posted      Profile for Satlin   Email Satlin         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! That's awesome to hear. I remember being very uncertain and a little irritated by the whole process. Knowing you've been accepted really takes the worry out. I hope the financial aid portion goes just as well!
Posts: 86 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

Thanks everyone! It really does feel good to know that I have at least a few places to choose from.

The financial aid shouldn't be a problem. My parents say that they've saved enough money that they can almost cover everything. It really depends on the school I go to at this point.

Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

I'll be in IU in a few weeks. Anyone want to do dinner with my Dad and I?
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Alas... I'm not in the area... Hope you get the chance to meet up with some people, though! : )
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Sure, let me know as plans firm up.
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
cmc- Are you from this area?

LD- I might be down, it'll depend on how schoolwork is going, though.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.