FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Be informed when voting!

Author Topic: Be informed when voting!
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
Vote Smart!

I've often used this page to determine who to vote for without watching all of the smear campains. Just put in your zip code and it'll bring up the various elections in your area.

11/4/07 - I am resurrecting this thread in honor of election day this coming Tuesday. No idea who to vote for? This site is non-partisan and will give you the run down on all the candidates and elections for your 9 digit zip code.

[ November 04, 2007, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: andi330 ]

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, I wish I had known about that earlier. I filled out my absentee ballot last weekend. I spent about 2 hours researching all the candidates on my ballot online. I read up on their qualifications and what they supposedly believe. I then voted based on whose beliefs I agreed with most and who I thought was most qualified (hopefully it was the same person for both cases, if not then I had to make a little bit more difficult decision). Despite the time required to do all this research and make an informed vote, I really enjoy voting. Even though my vote is worth next to nothing, I feel like I'm contributing to the government and to society. Also, it gives me the right to complain if someone I don't like wins. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link, andi!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Why are so many MORONS running in Florida?! I mean, I knew that, but now I'm seeing them all in one place.

Brain asplode.

Thanks for the link! [Smile]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Living in DC, that site is completely useless for me. Sad.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
Why are so many MORONS running in Florida?! I mean, I knew that, but now I'm seeing them all in one place.

-pH

There is absolutely no difference between the Democrat and the Republican running for the US House in my district. They're waging the dirtiest campaign I've ever seen to make up for it.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
You think Florida is bad.... you ought to see the choices for Govenor of Texas this year. It's disgusting. The ONLY bright side is that at least there isn't all THAT much power in the governor in Texas. But still... I mean, come on, how embarassing to actually have to see the name "Kinky" on a ballot!!!
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

From what I've read about Kinky, I might actually consider voting for him.

But I'm from Florida. Anything is better than the Florida choices. I say we vote a ball of lint into Congress.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Out of curiosity, can anyone tell me how to get my 9 digit zip code? I've only ever used the six digit one before.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
ricree, just input your address into mapquest.com and the long version zip should come up.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

Where at, when I searched for it in mapquest, all I saw was the short zip code.

Edit: nevermind, I see it.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I would hope nobody in Texas would discount Kinky just because of his name. At least look at what he believes before making a decision. Basing it on a silly name is well silly.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

Unfortunately, a bad name can be a death sentence in politics. I am reminded of Jim Ryan, who ran for governor in Illinois in 2002. Personally, I think that he was by far the superior candidate, but he had the unfortunate burden of having Ryan as a last name. A disturbingly high number of people mistook him for the previous governor George Ryan, who has recently been sentenced to six and a half years in prison.

I don't know if the people who made the mistake were enough to make up for the gap, but it certainly couldn't have helped. I think that the state would have been better off had he won.

AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Voting by name. That is so Fahrenheit 451.

I can't believe Crist and Davis refused to take the NPAT. What don't they want me toknow about where they stand?

I've never said this before, but I think I may vote Libertarian. I have no idea how Smith thinks he can eliminate all taxes and still fund anything, but since this is more a symbolic vote, I'm not too worried about it.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it really bothers me that both Clinton and Sencer refused to take the NPAT. Why in the world would anyone refuse that? I read through the questions and answers of the Green candidate and it seemed like a balanced test. A multiple choice test that allowed them room to explain themselves on each answer if they didn't feel it quite fit them.

Edit: Yeah, were I not so eager to have someone around to check Bush, I think I'd go green. The green candidate seems to line up pretty darn well with me on the issues.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I would NEVER vote for Kinky because he's nuts. He knows nothing about running a state, and makes up whatever statistics he feels like on the spot, whether or not they have any truth. He's a side show. Plus, he casually throws around racial remarks, is willing to break current laws and flaunt it, and worst of all, has been quoted as saying that the internet is a work of satan!!!!
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the Libertarian candidate for Governor in Georgia. He was a lot more impressive than the bickering dem and rep in the debates. I can't say I agree with everything he stands for, but there's enough that he's getting MY vote.

Other than that, I'm afraid the Dems are getting my vote, solely because I don't want the Reps to keep their majority. I wish there were more Libertarians running.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

*runs screaming from John Cobin the libertarian candidate in her area who wants to elimitate all spending in practically every area*
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ricree101
Out of curiosity, can anyone tell me how to get my 9 digit zip code? I've only ever used the six digit one before.

USPS.com can give you a 9-digit zip for any address.

Thanks for the link and the reminder, andi! I planned to spend part of today deciding on the ballot measures. Now I have. [Smile]

Anyone have a decent (BALANCED) site to help me make decisions on California Associate Justices? Voting records, endorsements, something?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I voted yesterday, in fact. I did research on the important candidates by using Google. After perusing the site, I can honestly say it would've saved me some time. Had I found it two days ago. [Smile]
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
It really annoys me as well when they won't answer the NPAT.

I don't like anyone running for governor in Fl. Crist and Davis both bother me, and really the 3rd party candidates aren't even good this year.

Personally, I'd like to find someone that was a mix between libertarian and Republican (though mostly Republican). Crist is way to big government...and the libertarian running is way to libertarian for me. [Smile]

In general, when choosing between iffy candidates, I go republican...but I really don't want to see Crist as our governor, and I can't bring myself to vote for someone that I don't want to see in office...even if I think he might be better than Davis.

This election just bugs me

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
The economy and the violent crime rate.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the current ad for a Republican, trying to be elected to a Republican-held House seat that states: "because we need a change in Washington".

I think he is counting on the "can't remember which party is which" vote.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link! I went and voted today after doing the research.

quote:
Unfortunately, a bad name can be a death sentence in politics.
In the case of Kinky, he had to fight to get that name put on the ballot. His name is Richard Friedman, and some were insisting he had to use his real name. They compromised and the ballot reads "Richard S. 'Kinky' Friedman".

And I'm with DDDaysh, my vote didn't go to Kinky. The man is not competent to run a state. btw, what area are you in DDDaysh? I'm in the Dallas area.

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Did ANY of the Republicans in Florida fill out the NPAT? I didn't see any, but maybe I missed someone...

-pH

andi330
Member # 8572

Memebers of the republican party seem much less likely to fill it out. I've been using Vote Smart for years and if there's someone on the ballot who hasn't filled the NPAT out, it's probably the republican. Which bears the question: What is it that the republicans don't want us to know?

Disclaimer: I am not saying all republicans refuse to fill the NPAT out, just that over the years, I've noticed that of the candidates that I'm researching, most of the candidates that haven't filled it out are republicans.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Anyone have a decent (BALANCED) site to help me make decisions on California Associate Justices? Voting records, endorsements, something?

No suggestions?

Drat. [Razz]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by andi330:
Memebers of the republican party seem much less likely to fill it out. I've been using Vote Smart for years and if there's someone on the ballot who hasn't filled the NPAT out, it's probably the republican.

This doesn't seem to be the case in my district. Both sides seem to refuse to fill out the NPAT for the most part.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Just looked up Obama. He hasn't filled out the NPAT since 1998.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Far as I can tell its members of the two major parties that are less likely to fill it out. Small party or independant candidates are the most likely to fill it out.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

bump
andi330
Member # 8572

This thread is being resurrected in protest of all the partisan commercials out there. I'm bumping it a little earlier than usual so that people can use it for absentee ballots if they haven't returned them yet. I've used this site for years to help me decide who to vote for. It has good information, including actual voting history so that you can see where the candidates really stand.
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
THANKS! I'm so giving this to all my students!
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

bump
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
American voting is so complicated. Canada is so (ludicrously?) simple. You make one x, and you're done.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.