FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Medical Question. Zonked out update.

Author Topic: Medical Question. Zonked out update.
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, wisdom teeth extraction was Sept. 11. Lots of complications, had to cut into my throat and sinuses or something on the left side. Cue crazy infection on the left side of my face. Cue three weeks of antibiotics.

Now, there are still rough spots where some of the stitches used to be. Earlier this week, I started spitting out....SOMETHING when I brush my teeth. I don't know if it's tissue or what. It's not the dry socket dressing because that stuff is dark brown, and this is...pinkish whitish.

The extra skin that grew in on the left side shrank a lot but hasn't completely gone away. Now, I'm getting horrible, awful headaches on the RIGHT side. When I lie down, it's a dull throbbing. When I stand up, every time I take a step it's a terrible, stabbing pain. I was thinking maybe it was a sinus thing, except that although I wake up a little stuffy, the stuffiness doesn't stay, and it doesn't seem like it would be major enough to cause this kind of pain. But maybe it could. The pain wraps around the entire right side of my head, around to the back.

I could go to urgent care to see a real doctor, but I'd feel silly going in there for a headache. Which means I MAY go in to the student health center tomorrow, except that I already know that doctor is going to be next to useless. Grrrr. Any ideas?

-pH

[ November 14, 2006, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: pH ]

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Stabbing pain is BAD. Constant throbbing pain is also BAD. Either can be a sign of an infection (IIRC).

Get thee to the urgent care, NOW!!!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Palliard
Member # 8109

- posted      Profile for Palliard   Email Palliard         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not a doctor... but the symptoms you're describing would seem to indicate some sort of neuropathic pain, and given that you just had surgery, have one known infection, and have goo coming out of your head, I strongly suggest you bite the bullet and see a competent MD. Infections and nerve damage in your head are >this< close to your brain and nothing to fool around with.
Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

It went away, the bad bad pain. But my right ear popped. I guess it was stuffed up for a while because I wasn't really aware of the, um, stuffed-ness before it popped.

I think I'm going to harass the dentist again tomorrow. That poor man must have already lost so much money on me...

Or I could harass the student health doctor first, since I have to be there early tomorrow anyway...

Bah. This is stupid and should not be causing me trouble anymore. The teeth haunt me even after they're gone.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Hey! You never updated us on this.

What happened?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I have two ear infections.

And since I was on all the medication before, the doctor didn't want to give me the same ones. I lucked out and got the good doctor from the hosptial instead of the regular guy. She gave me a script for, um, doxycycline, whatever that is.

And the dentist said my teeth look really, really good. And they're healing well, too. But I have my first real cavity. Although she said that's really awesome, considering that I'm 21 and don't have sealants. It's a really small cavity, but my dad wants me to fly home and have another inlay put in anyway. I have these two inlays from molars that never fused together properly when I was little, and for some reason they make dentists weak in the knees. So my dad wants the same doctor to do the new filling as well. So I have to do that at some point.

And I haven't filled my prescription yet.

-pH

rivka
Member # 4859

Ow. I hate ear infections. [Frown]

What do you mean, you haven't filled the prescription yet! Don't make me lecture you on the potential risks of untreated ear infections! [No No]

Please take care of yourself! I'm glad your teeth are doing relatively well. [Smile]

pH
Member # 1350

I'm tired. I'll fill it in the morning or something...besides, it'll probably make me sick.

-pH

pH
Member # 1350

I do not enjoy doxycycline. Nor do I enjoy vomiting in the arts and crafts store. On the plus side, I did make it to the bathroom.

I think I'm going to sit right by the door in class tonight...

Also, I have two reddish bumps, like mosquito bites, but right next to each other and not itchy, on my hip. Side effect? Y/n.

-pH

rivka
Member # 4859

*hug* I'm sorry it gave you the symptoms you were worried about. [Frown]

I'm glad you're treating the infection, though. Sucks that they can't seem to give you an antibiotic that doesn't cause these problems!

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
pH: were the pink-white things you were spitting out your stitches?
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, I have two reddish bumps, like mosquito bites, but right next to each other and not itchy, on my hip. Side effect? Y/n.

[Eek!] You need to call Agent Mulder, STAT! [Wink]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
pH: were the pink-white things you were spitting out your stitches?

I don't think so. The stitches already came out, as far as I can tell. They came out as long fishing line looking strings. I ripped out some of them right after surgery because I threw up that night.

Hopefully this is the last antibiotic I'll have to be on. Amoxil, clinda, and augmentin have apparently failed me.

-pH

pH
Member # 1350

An update....my ears still felt stuffy, so I went back to the student health center this morning. Except this time I got Dr. Incompetent.

He says it doesn't look like I have an infection. That it's allergies. Okay, well, that's good I guess.

But then he spazzes about the formerly-infected wisdom teeth extraction side. Apparently the stitching and cuts or whatever just aren't healing. Or at least they look really weird to him. He thought they were giving off some kind of discharge. He showed me one of them in the very back. It's dark and kind of greenish. It could be the stuff they used to pack the dry socket I guess. That stuff is dark brown. But I haven't had those packed in six weeks, so I don't know.

Dentist tomorrow morning. Then I might go try to wrangle a referral to an ENT or something.

-pH

pH
Member # 1350

I am the captain of the vicodin, and a mighty good captain too. You're very very good and be it understood I demand a right good crew...

My dry sockets still haven't healed, even though the dentist said they should be completely healed and not even have scars by now.

So since there was still dry socket dressing in them, he pulled it out. Except the dressing was releasing a topical anaesthetic. Since there's a layer of tissue over the bone, I don't think there's as much pain as there was from the first dry socket adventure. But there was some jaw and tooth pain and face aching. Fortunately he put me on five days of vicodin.

And my boss is letting me work from home.

What does this mean to you? Much posting while under the influence. WHeeeeeeee...

-pH

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.