FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Am I the only one who's not drooling over Borat?

Author Topic: Am I the only one who's not drooling over Borat?
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I mean, some parts of it look pretty funny. Other parts absolutely make me cringe. I just...I'm not sure that I could go see that movie and still respect myself in the morning.

Of course, I also never watched Ali G. Maybe I'm missing some valuable life experience that would allow me to see why this movie is a good idea. Thoughts?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
As I have no idea what you're talking about, I'm not drooling. But I also don't really drool that much...
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks utterly missable.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
The commericals make me not want to see it.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Borat

Needless to say, I'm a fan.

I can't say how good the movie will be, but I always thought the Borat character was really funny. I've been watching since the british show before he came to HBO, and always thought the show was hilarious. The Ali G interviews were like the Daily Show interviews before The Daily Show existed. And Borat was always an even more extreme version of that.

I will say that the skits work better in smaller doses. I saw one of the Ali G movies he made and didn't think it was that funny.

So we'll see.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Ali G once and was not impressed.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:

quote:
Originally posted by Amanecer:

What they said.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:

quote:
Originally posted by Amanecer:

What they said.

Yeah, that about sums it up.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm drooling. Ever since I saw him get a room full of cowboys to sing "Throw the Jew Down the Well," I have been a fan.

I love his style of satire.
[ROFL]

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Not interested, me.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
I've got both seasons of Ali G on DVD, and it's one of the funniest shows ever produced. There isn't a single episode of that show that hasn't given me cramps from laughing so hard.

Borat's my favorite of his characters. So, yeah, I'm drooling.

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
The guy is a comedic genius. It may be true that his characters only work in small doses, because they are a little one-dimensional, but he's still just so funny I don't care.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I would be ridiculously offended and find him incredibly distasteful....and frankly, I do, but he's so fracking funny I forgive him. I haven't laughed that hard at someone not Stewart or Colbert in a long time.

This is also worth watching (universal Borat warning: offensive & not appropriate for youngins'):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFiSjiEb6Yg

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Borat is like Colbert for me, to be honest. It's either laugh out loud or not funny at all. The thing that got my attention about him was his response what what Khazistan was saying about his movie. At that point, I couldn't help but be interested.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
And what was his response?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Not interested. I didn't get that excited about Yakov Smirnof either.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

How did Borat remind you of Yakov Smirnoff?
Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
His response was in character, stating that he knows this is just propaganda from the neighboring country in an attempt to tarnish the reputation of Khazistan for communist takeover. He went on a bit further. I got to go, otherwise, I would find that article again.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Is that the one where he also said he was happy they were suing that Jew Sasha Baron Cohen?
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like nothing but embarassment and awkwardness to me. I won't even watch this when it comes to HBO.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

It's at 91% on Rottentomatoes. That puts it in league with The Departed as one of the best reviewed movies of the year.

All you toffee-noses can discount it without seeing it, based only on the advertisements and your imaginations, but this clearly this isn't your average Happy Madison production. [Wink]

kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baron Samedi:

Foreign guy with a funny accent and funnier mustache experiences American culture...
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone I know who saw one of the preview showings of it said it was pretty good. Personally from what I've seen in the trailer and commercials, it looks like a lot of it is just stuff that has already been done in the TV series. Not to say the stuff isn't good or isn't funny, it's just repeated. Let's hope that the movie has some new stuff in it as well and isn't completely a repeat.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Borat's not really from Khazastan...
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Yakov wasn't really that stupid, either. [Wink]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
quote:
Originally posted by Baron Samedi:

Foreign guy with a funny accent and funnier mustache experiences American culture...
Except Smirnoff was the real deal. I found him too OTT for my taste, but I was never offended by him.

This clown is nauseating.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ever since I saw him get a room full of cowboys to sing "Throw the Jew Down the Well," I have been a fan.
Me too. My ex and his roommates had me over one night when they were watching Ali G. It was okay but I wasn't too impressed. Over the summer I was shown that video and I finally got it. Then I saw Cohen in Talladega Nights and really enjoyed his performance.

If I can get out of my recovery house arrest, I'll be going this weekend. No drooling though, unless the popcorn is especially good.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Kasie's link. It's not my style.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitsune
Member # 8290

- posted      Profile for Kitsune   Email Kitsune         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in shock the entire time I was watching Borat! It's really hilarious though. I love his randomness [Smile]

Sort of a Spoiler:

Are men's private parts okay to show in a rated R movie??!?!?! 'Cause everybody was screaming in the audience, eep!

Posts: 147 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
They showed Cillian Murphy's privates in a wide shot in 28 Days Later.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Kitsune, that scene had me gasping for breath. One of the most ridiculous scenes I've ever seen in a movie.

I thought the movie was really fantastic. They did a really good job of interweaving scripted plot type stuff with the unscripted intervews and the like. Kept the movie interesting and moving along.

Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
I never watched Ali G, either, but Borat looks like an entertaining concept. I love Christopher Guest's movies, so this might be right up my alley. I admit it looks kinda giggle-worthy.

I mean, I saw Jackass 2 and still respected myself the next morning...mostly.

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
The Borat movie is hilarious and worth the ticket for the social commentary alone.

Metacritic has it at the level of universal acclaim. It's topping the charts. This doesn't happen with movies like this, hardly ever. It is guaranteed to pull laughs out of anyone it is not deeply offending!

People at my job sites have been singing "Throw The Jew Down The Well" all day.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.