FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Most Recent Safest and Most Dangerous Cities Listed

Author Topic: Most Recent Safest and Most Dangerous Cities Listed
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Listed from Safest to Most Dangerous

quote:
5. Troy, Mich.

37. Livonia, Mich.

194. Dearborn, Mich.

369. Flint, Mich.

370. Detroit

I work in the fifth most safest city in the country.

Dearborn, Flint, and Detroit ring me (and Troy) to the southwest, northwest, and southeast (respectively).

I guess what they say about suburbs being bastions of white suburbia has something to it. I live in and around a safe haven, but the further away I get from it, the more dangerous things become. North to Flint is dangerous, south to Detroit is dangerous.

Though quite frankly, I'd be scared out of my wits to go to Flint, but I have absolutely no fear at all walking down Woodward during most times in Detroit. Maybe it's because I grew up in the shadow of the city and spend a lot of time there, I don't know, but I'd bet the crime is focused in a few specific warrens of Detroit, and not in the downtown, and not in a lot of perfectly safe neighborhoods. It sucks to see a large city labelled as the second most dangerous city in America when there's so many great things about the city, and when there's so many great places to live in and around it.

And incidentally....
quote:
269. Greensboro, N.C.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
DC's #353/371. Not much surprise there.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
What would be neat is if someone could organize those into a map-- where the Safe cities were colored green, and as the scale progresses, they become red.

That way we could see at a glance where the safest geographic locations of the country are-- highest ratio of greens to reds.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Should be doable on google maps, but I have no idea how.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. Just yesterday I watched a study with my roommate Beth that said that Detroit is the number two most dangerous city in the country, after St. Louis.

Where do all these places get their information from?

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

The link says the FBI provides the information; I'm not sure how the FBI gets it, or what the parameters for 'safe' are.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Amherst, NY (where my in-laws live) just recently fell to number 2 on the list. Buffalo (where I work) is all the way down at 340. Ouch. I'm surprised Cheekta-vegas is at 36, I guess tacky lawn decorations is not an accurate predictor of relative safety.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
It's not nice to poke fun at Cheektowaga that way. *giggling*
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Detroit is safer depending on who you are. The crimes there rarely cross racial lines.

I lived in Palmer Park in Detroit for seven months and never saw so much as a mugging. Our air bags did get stolen once (from the church parking lot!), but that's it.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Your air bags were stolen? How's that even possible?

And WHY? Is there a big demand on the black market for air bags?

katharina
Member # 827

Yeah, they pried them out of the car.

Airbags can fetch $100 - 200, because they cost almost $300 apiece to replace. You can pop them out quickly. If there's only one thing to steal, steal the airbags.

We joked that we'd get the same airbags back when we got the car fixed. What a racket!

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
What is more interesting is to compare the final standings in pro-baseball with city safety. (#1 St. Louis World Series champs. #2 Detroit, American League Pennant Winners )

Is there correlation. Does baseball lead to crime?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's just that in big baseball cities the populace is just so bored that they have to go out and commit crime. [Taunt]
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Maybe the city is wasting money on the sports teams instead of education and police.
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
So New York City (145) is safer than Ogden, UT (182) and far far safer than Salt Lake City (247)?

I've been to those two Utah cities, and when I was there I felt like I could have left my wallet on the sidewalk, and then been confident that it would still be there when I returned.

Interesting that my impression appears to be so far off.

I just can't believe I'd be safer walking alone at night in a non-Manhattan borough like Brooklyn than I would be walking alone at night in Ogden.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems like Alabama fared pretty badly. All the cities big enough to make the list are down towards the bottom. And of course, my hometown, New Orleans, they're still trying to come up with language strong enough to describe how unsafe it is.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Should be doable on google maps, but I have no idea how.
This can also be done using MapInfo and geocoding.
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
striplingrz
Member # 9770

- posted      Profile for striplingrz   Email striplingrz         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate lists like this. So its made based on the cities reported crime stats. Is it weighted? Like are they considering a mugging the same as a murder? And is it based on some per capita % or a combination of the metro area for each city?

I highly doubt St Louis is the most dangerous place in the country. I'd go there before I ever went to NYC or Camden or Compton for goodness sakes.

And Little Rock is a delightful city. It may not belong in the top 100 but that low is just ridiculous.

On the other hand, I live in a Memphis suburb. I have no problem with where they have Memphis rated. LOL

Posts: 176 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

They posted this over at woot, and pointed out that this ONLY takes into account crime within city limits. The same group that came up with these stats also has data based on Metropolitan Statistical Areas.

Detroit is still second on the list, of course if you include Dearborn and Livonia.

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
327. Miami
Miami... where? I'm assuming Florida, but there are three Miami's in the US that I know of.

At least we beat Orlando by 20 places...

*EDIT*: Coral Springs, Florida is listed as #10, even though it's less than three miles away from Ft. Lauderdale, which is listed as #271?!?

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray, Phoenix isn't last this time!

Wait, how is Phoneix 313th and Gilbert is 22nd?

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
There are exactly 371 cities in the U.S.? Really?

Almost all the safe cities in SoCal are safe because they are BORING. They have little or no cultural life, so their residents all come to L.A. to party, etc. No wonder we're down at #250.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Nighthawk, similar to Boston and Newton which are actually contiguous to each other.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe it's just that in big baseball cities the populace is just so bored that they have to go out and commit crime
quote:
Maybe the city is wasting money on the sports teams instead of education and police.
I don't agree, but there is something pleasing about the exchange.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Odd, I didn't see any Maryland cities on that list in my quick scan. Of course, the lack of standard postal abbreviations makes the page hard to search...

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:

The irony being, that in Detroit, sports bring in a hell of a lot more money than is spent on sports.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not a question of whether there's an accounting profit in the amount spent vs. the amount collected; it's a question of whether there's an economic profit - if the money wouldn't bring a bigger (long-term) benefit if spent elsewhere.

I'm not well versed in sports economics, but I believe that most studies find that (all) of the benefits from sports teams aren't worth the money spent on the teams; the money could be put to a better use, and either return larger (accounting) profits, or, in most cases, return profits period.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

The city of Detroit has three sports teams actually in the city.

Hockey - Red Wings

Football - Lions

Baseball - Tigers

The city of Detroit doesn't even spend any money that I know of on the teams, and if it does, the millions, and in the case of last year's superbowl BILLIONS of dollars that these events bring into town are well more than worth it, especially considering the bill for the teams is mostly footed by the owners and the franchise in one way or another, and the profits come from the citizens of the city, and it finds it's way back into the city coffers.

dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the abbreviations they used were awful odd, it was completely arbitrary, some cities weren't good enough to have states included, some had postal codes, and for others the whole name was written out. It really made me feel unsafe just naviating about the site.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by James Tiberius Kirk:
Odd, I didn't see any Maryland cities on that list in my quick scan. Of course, the lack of standard postal abbreviations makes the page hard to search...

--j_k

Only Baltimore made the list and it's at 360. According to all the news reports, that's an improvement, since it's no longer one of the 10 worst cities. Yay?
Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
How did this study define "safe"? Lowest crime rate? Lowest violent crime rate? Lowest accidents per capita? Lowest death rate? Lowest rate of natural disasters? Lowest rate of terror attacks? Lowest rate of environmentally related diseases? Lowest rate of allergies? Lowest rate of food poisoning?

Safest from what?

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Methodology
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Risuena:
quote:
Originally posted by James Tiberius Kirk:

--j_k

Only Baltimore made the list and it's at 360. According to all the news reports, that's an improvement, since it's no longer one of the 10 worst cities. Yay?
360 out of 371? Sounds about right, though I wonder how Richmond, VA is only about three places better than Baltimore.
--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
The city of Detroit has three sports teams actually in the city.

Hockey - Red Wings

Football - Lions

Baseball - Tigers

Miami has only one, basketball's Heat, and there have been times that even that was at risk of moving North. The Miami Dolphins and Florida Marlins play thirty miles away, less than a quarter mile from the Broward County line. The Florida Panthers play even farther, in Broward, but it can be argued that they're not a "Miami" team (as is the case with the Marlins, for that matter).

Yes, I'm bitter about that.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

MrsM could talk more about Richmond than I can...but (I think) it has to do with the vast amount of poverty on the East side of I-95.
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
"Coral Springs, Florida is listed as #10, even though it's less than three miles away from Ft. Lauderdale, which is listed as #271?!?"

I could understand that there'd be a big difference between the two (though not 250 place difference). Ft. Lauderdale is much busier and crazier than Coral Springs.

"94. Plantation, Fla"

We made the top 100 [Big Grin] .

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
371. St. Louis MO

This makes me feel good.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe it's just that in big baseball cities the populace is just so bored that they have to go out and commit crime.
quote:
Maybe the presence of a sports team has no direct correlation with the crime level of an area.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe San Antonio is only 197. We're safer down here than in Boston or Seatle?
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
That's hilarious...LA's safer than Greensboro????

[ROFL]

Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the problems with this type of study is the definition of "city" in the US. Cities are defined based on political boundaries and not community boundaries. So for example the population of Salt Lake City is ~197,000 while the population of the Salt Lake Metro area is closer to 1 million. The city of Seattle has a population of 560,000 but the Seattle metro area is closer to 2.5 million.

How does this distort crime statistics?

Well look at Salt Lake for example. Crime rates are counted based on the number of city residents. But the number of people who are in the city limits is at times much much greater than the number of residents because people from all over the metro area commute to Salt Lake to work, go to Jazz games, go to restaurants and bars, attend the Symphony or the Ballet, attend the University of Utah and dozens of other activities. That means that the crimes committed inside the Salt Lake City boundaries are committed by and on people from all over the metro area. As a result, the crime rate for Salt Lake City is artificially high because the wrong population is in the denominator. In contrast, Draper (a city about 15 miles south of Salt Lake which has become a bedroom community in recent years) has an artificially low crime rate. Why? Because for 8 to 12 hours a day, most Draper residents aren't in Draper. If Draper residents commit a violent crime or have one committed on them, its most likely not while their at home asleep in Draper.

The end result is that if you look at the violent crime rate for Salt Lake City, alone, you get a number that is double the rate for the entire metro area and this isn't because neighborhoods in Salt Lake City proper are fundamentally more dangerous than neighborhoods in West Valley, Murray, or Draper. Its because we have defined the wrong population associated with the crimes.

The end result is that cities like San Antonio that have very expansive city limits which include most of the metro area will end up having lower crime rates than cities like Seattle, Boston and Salt Lake where the city limits don't accurately represent the size of the metro area.

[ November 01, 2006, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
w00t 63
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
30 out of the top 100 are in California. Pretty good odds. Unfortunately, Berkeley is 226.

I say this after recently learning that 10 people were injured in a Halloween party shooting in SF (#270) last night. [Frown]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Strange list. Is Chicago no longer a city? I wasn't seeing it on there.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not. They must not report crime stats.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arthur
Member # 4026

- posted      Profile for Arthur   Email Arthur         Edit/Delete Post 
The site I linked to earlier for the folks that made the list explains it, something to do with the way Chicago reports their data for rape that makes their numbers not usable on the list.

(This is TheTick, my wife didn't log out on the laptop)

Posts: 153 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.