FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » They've tricked me into learning geography!

Author Topic: They've tricked me into learning geography!
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't stopped playing this game since Saturday. And as a side effect, I've become a machine for pin pointing cities on a map. Three days ago I didn't know where 80-90% of these places were on the map (as any red-blooded American wouldn't), and now I know all of them. It's weird. Of course, my knowledge is only as good as the map is, which I guess is up for debate.

For those of you who haven't clicked on the link yet, the game goes as follows: The computer flashes a "country, city name" up at the top of the screen, and you click on that spot on a map of the world. It then tells you how close you came in increments of 40kms.

Quite simple and boring, but they give you points for accuracy and speed and you can play head-to-head against others, which makes it competitive. So, once you get all the cities memorized, it really becomes an awesome hand-eye coordination game. Also, the site keeps a high scores list, which has become the sole aim of my life.

Anyway, I know that most of you only have room for one online addiction in your lives, but I know there're some geography buffs out there that would want to try this.

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
That's pretty nifty. I realized I know virtually nothing of Russian geography.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooo! I just got one 0 kilometers off! One in the UK. Sure it was more or less a blind stab, but still. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
sndrake, was that you? I saw a "drakester" there. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The lesson here: big countries are dangerous.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Napoleon and Hitler obviously didn't get the message.

(I just mentioned Hitler ... is that Godwins(?) Law coming into effect?)

Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
My high score so far is 5282. I think the biggest factor in my score so far has been how many US cities happen to show up (this time there was three) and how many Russian cities come up (this time only two).

Pretty fun, and I can actually see myself improving my geography skills in this.

I got San Diego dead on (I did live there, and it is easy to find on a map) and a city in Jordan dead on (know where the country is, and it is a small country).

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I just played against a guy who averaged 91.7 miles away from his target! [Eek!]
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems I don't know as much about European geography as I thought
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.