FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Greatest death of a planet / end of the world scene

Author Topic: Greatest death of a planet / end of the world scene
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really facinated by the idea of the end of the world...how people would react...the thing that everyone experiences everywhere at the same time...the ultimate threat to civilization and all our works. There's something about great falls that I just can't get enough of. There is a horror and a beauty to it.

So what are your favorite world ending scenes from the movies?

-"Transformers", the opening with Unicron destroying Linthra.
-"Titan AE", opening scene with the death of Earth.
-"Neon Genesis Evangelion", while the planet itself remains intact all life on the surface is wiped out.
-"Wolf's Rain", Earth's biosphere collapses, life becomes near impossible on the surface and the Moon comes crashing down.
-"Titanic", while not about the end of the world I see it as a microcosm of that event.
-"The Day After", total nuclear war. 'Nuff said. Might be 80's special effects but still scary as heck.
-"Robotech", the Zentraedi's Rain of Death... mmmm... gota love a molten glass surface.
-"Babylon 5", the nuking of the Narn Homeworld from orbit.
-"Battlestar Galactica", the nuking of the Twelve Colonies of Man / Kobol.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Last Night, a small Canadian flick that starts 6 hours before the end of the world with absolutely no explanation.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
The greatest flash movie on the end of the world. Ever.

Edit: Some profanity and violence to cartoon figures. Sorry 'bout that.

[ November 03, 2006, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: Jhai ]

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Jhai, I love that one. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
That is a good one. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tullaan
Member # 5515

- posted      Profile for Tullaan   Email Tullaan         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I'm surprised I even need to mention this.

Aldaran!! Star Wars Episode 4, A New Hope.

Posts: 98 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Serenity...ships blasting off earth as nukes fall.
The Day After Tomarrow...the sea rising to engulf New York, bu-YA!

Nice flash...very funny...could you please put a warning next to the link about the profanity though please?...got some youngsters floating about.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I know it's corny, but also the begining of Waterworld was pretty awsome with the Universal Pictures globe transforming...
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

-"Transformers", the opening with Unicron destroying Linthra.

Orbilius look, it's Unicron!

With you all the way on this one.

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed Titan AE's take on it. All the ships clamoring to escape and being taken out by fighters as they break the atmosphere. The wave of destruction covering the entire earth before it explodes.

If the end of the world is scary, being obliterated as you try to escape your dying planet is just a notch higher for me.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
The first fifteen minutes of Highlander II.

Yeah, I know... but it *felt* like the world was ending!

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
The teaser trailer for the movie Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked the transition from the World of Balance to the World of Ruin in Final Fantasy 3 (6 in Japan). The world didn't really end, but everything changed. Continents were broken up, and everything was a depressing brown color. As a bonus, you got to wander through the world and talk to people trying to scrape by.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
The dream sequence in Terminator II, where Linda Hamilton is standing at the playground fence and watches the kids playing turn to ash.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
A few songs:

REM -- "It's the End of the World As We Know It (and I Feel Fine)"
Neil Young -- "After the Goldrush"
David Bowie -- "Five Years":

quote:
Pushing thru the market square, so many mothers sighing
News had just come over, we had five years left to cry in
News guy wept and told us, Earth was really dying

lyrics link

[edit to add link because of the cursed cursed three line rule]

[ November 03, 2006, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: plaid ]

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*pokes plaid* Three-line rule.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I really dislike that rule.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
[Grumble]

Stupid stupid three-line rule... where's a burninator when you need him???

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 9284

- posted      Profile for Mig   Email Mig         Edit/Delete Post 
Deep Impact. The meteor impact and tidal wave were pretty cool.
Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Doctor Who's scene wasn't bad.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Has no-one mentioned the destruction of the Bugger Homeworld? Although not a cinematic event (yet) it is still frightening when told from the Hive queen's perspective.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
The opening title of Team America
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
The entire last half of Greg Bear's "The Forge of God". I want that into a movie nowww. [Wink]
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.