FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Congress, Protector of Successful Ideas

Author Topic: Congress, Protector of Successful Ideas
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Or in this case, you know, not.

http://www.darpa.mil/grandchallenge/docs/UC_Participants_Conference_updated.pdf

Specifically, the update at the top that says
quote:
Congress has changed the Secretary of Defense’s authorities and DARPA
no longer has authority to carry out programs to award cash prizes.

DARPA's grand challenge has been extremely successful in spurring technological development in robotics directly useful to DARPA's intended purposes. This is far from pork, being awards by the government purely in exchange for technological advancements that help the government achieve pertinent goals.

I'm reluctant to go this far, but one person's conclusion is that it was too hard for Congress to direct the funds for political reasons: http://www.samizdata.net/blog/archives/2006/11/not_enough_swil.html

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That is pretty sad. I'm not sure I fully disagree with that conclusion. I mean, congress seems to be saying that it is ok to pay for random bridges that don't really help that many people, but we can't seem to find the funds to reward those who are advancing technology.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.