FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » anyone seen....

Author Topic: anyone seen....
c.t.t.n.
Member # 9509

- posted      Profile for c.t.t.n.   Email c.t.t.n.         Edit/Delete Post 
"What the Bleep do we Know"? thoughts?
Posts: 48 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I was looking forward to seeing the movie after I saw The Elegant Universe. I was very excited about What the Bleep Do We Know after I saw its' trailer.

I was VERY disappointed. It seemed like a bunch of smug new age spiritualists who obviously thought themselves very smart for asking meaningful questions about life the universe and everything that most people consider as they mature. And they get to misrepresent quantum physics to boot! *Gag*

I liked this imdb user remarks:

quote:
I was really bothered by the fact that the movie was already drawing conclusions for me instead of posing questions as to different possibilities.
When David Brent, in the BBC version of The Office, was reading the quotes in his employee evaluation of Tim, I kept expecting him to pull out a quote from "What the Bleep do we Know."
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Very disappointed in the movie. I too was hoping for something similar to The Elegant Universe. Instead I found something attempting to create a new cult in my opinion.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my impression:

"Your crazy religion has nothing but superstition to support it. So why don't you give up on all that crap, and believe in my crazy religion with nothing but superstition to support it?

We've got some science-y sounding words, a quasi-hot chick and some crappy special effects, so it's clearly superior."

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] Baron Samedi
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed on the overall assessment with one very important caveat.

For me, at the time I saw it, the messages about taking responsibility for your feelings were a very important reinforcement of what I was learning in therapy at the time (it was my therapist that assigned me to see it and for that reason).

So, while I agree that it was hokey new-age mumbo-jumbo that completely misrepresented Quantum Physics, I also took a great deal of wisdom from the movie and it will always have some meaning for me, despite it's many failings.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
c.t.t.n.
Member # 9509

- posted      Profile for c.t.t.n.   Email c.t.t.n.         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if the studies that are referenced are conclusive?
Posts: 48 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.