FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fatness question

Author Topic: Fatness question
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
from the KJV:

"...thou art waxen fat, thou art grown thick, thou art covered with fatness..." Deuteronomy 32:15

I put this on my fridge 6 months ago. I thought it was a good reminder for self-control when it comes to food. I don't go to church any more and i don't particularly like the bible for anything but it's prose.

So anyway, I'm 40 pounds lighter now [hold your applause], but yesterday I relapsed.

They had a 2-for-1 sale of Breyer's ice cream at Food Lion and I gave in. I am so weak.

I thought it would be a good challenge to see if I could only eat small amounts.

Well, they're both gone now. A gallon of ice cream in 2 days.

How can I go from having such incredible self-control....to such weak, childlike indulgence?

HOW I ASK YOU?

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Easily. [Wink]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Same way Lee Adama did. [Smile]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a perfect example on why it's not a good idea to deprive yourself with a diet. It's better to change your eating habits, so that you're eating more healthily most of the time, and things like a reasonable amount of ice cream are included as a dessert now and then. If you deprive yourself, it's almost like you feel entitled to eat a whole gallon of ice cream because you've been so good and you haven't had anything fun to eat the whole time you've been dieting.

Dieting: Bad
A Healthy, Moderated Lifestyle: Good

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Along with Katarain's post, which I agree with, a lifestyle change is better than a "diet" because although it takes a lot longer to lose the extra pounds, they stay off. When you end a "diet" they almost inevitably come back.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How can I go from having such incredible self-control....to such weak, childlike indulgence?
The same way a 20-years-sober alcoholic can fall off the wagon. He thinks he can just have a little drink. After all this time of sobriety, it's probably okay.

Congratulations on losing the 40lbs! That's a wonderful acheivement well worth celebrating! My hope is that the incident with the ice cream will be like a warning shot across the bow for you. Not disasterous, just one to identify and respect. [Smile]

And I love the way you got your motivation. I may have to try that. Only it will have to be on my dashboard.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Ice cream is yummy, dude, whoc an help it. I suggest to stay on the diet, but still have a bit of ice cream every now and again.
I have trouble with milk shakes and all sorts of stuff. I haven't had milk shakes in a while, but i had a root beer float yesterday.
Next time there's a 2 for 5 dollar sale on Breyer's (I like chocolate for my milkshakes) why not just buy one? I bought some haagen daas and totally thought I'd buy oreos and crush it into that, but I didn;t so just excercise more I guess.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of people have lightly 'crash' diets with unsustainably idealistic calorie counts. Usually, the main culprit is sedentary lifestyle.

It's said that most dieting without an active cardio component at least is more than likely to reeeeeebound. And it happens.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Just to clarify,

It hasn't been a diet, it's definitely been a lifestyle and habit change that has helped me lose weight.

But ice cream is my Achilles heel. Everything else, I've learned to eat in moderation, but after just one bite of ice cream I'm hooked. I just can't have one scoop or one bowl.

verdict--no ice cream for me, period.

(until I learn how to control the portion)

[ November 09, 2006, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: Launchywiggin ]

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you could buy a kiddie cone wherever they sell ice cream, or have someone else buy you one.

But if it's a trigger, you may very well be doing the wise thing by staying away from it completely.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there's something very 1984 about calling a diet a lifestyle change. Just sayin', is all. I was on Body for Life for 5 months back in 2002, and then I crashed.

But I really have no advice for you, beyond that. And I'm horrified by that scripture. Talk about an angry God! Oh, it seems you may have paraphrased.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

The quote is taken out of context, for sure, and the lifestyle change had more to do with my activity level and my choice to watch what I eat, how much I eat, and how often I eat.

Just being concious (instead of passive) about it has made a huge difference.

By the way, I don't know if anyone caught it, but this was originally just a dobie to the "Fitness question" thread. Story's true, though.

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I've found the easiest way for me to control my ice cream eating is to only buy one small container at a time. That way, you feel like you've eaten a lot more than you have when you look at how much is left in the container, so you eat less ice cream.

Although now I'd kill for a chocolate milkshake. But I too believe in diets that allow for leeway. Leeway that includes milkshakes and delicious bacon cheeseburgers.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, when I eat that much of something like ice cream in one sitting, it *ahem* seems to, um, pass through quickly. So I'm pretty sure I don't absorb all those calories... Not that I make a habit of that...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think there's something very 1984 about calling a diet a lifestyle change.
That's not what they're doing. The words mean two completely different things. Diet is a temporary change (which, as you learned, is ineffective most times). Lifestyle change is a complete overhaul. I believe the change in perception is the key part of it.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Good job on the weightloss. 40 pounds in only 6 months shows a lot of discipline and dedication to your goal. Don't worry about the cheat, everyone does it. Just make sure it's an occasional other than a frequent thing, and you'll be fine. Also pH's suggestion about smaller containers is spot on.
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
Relax. This is the only life you have. Don't get upset about giving into a gallon of ice cream every now and then.
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
And just because you fell off the wagon over a couple of days doesn't mean you've blown the whole thing. Just go back to eating what you were, and you'll be fine. Or, you know, go to the gym or something and burn some of it off.

And yeah, if you can't resist the stuff, just buy less of it. The hand-wringing you're doing over this negates the bargain price of the ice cream, no?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
And just because you fell off the wagon over a couple of days doesn't mean you've blown the whole thing. Just go back to eating what you were, and you'll be fine. Or, you know, go to the gym or something and burn some of it off.

And yeah, if you can't resist the stuff, just buy less of it. The hand-wringing you're doing over this negates the bargain price of the ice cream, no?

I'd like to echo Tante Shvester the Wise.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
I ate a gallon in one sitting once.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh, I hate having to argue with people who think I should buy huge quantities of stuff because it's cheaper. Yes. It costs more to buy those 100 calorie packs of stuff. But it also keeps me from eating an entire bag of Funyuns in one sitting.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.