FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Stop me if you've heard this

Author Topic: Stop me if you've heard this
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
A man is walking through the countryside, when he sees a farmer. And he stops and watches the farmer, because the farmer is holding up a pig under an apple tree, while the pig eats an apple off of the apple tree.

The man thinks this is somewhat odd, so he keeps watching. And when the pig finishes, the farmer moves over so that the pig can get to another apple. The man watches as the farmer feeds the pig several apples this way, and then he can't keep quiet any longer.

He walks over, and asks the farmer, "Excuse me, sir, but I just have to ask. Isn't that an awfully slow way to feed a pig?"

The farmer thinks on this for a moment, shrugs, and replies, "What's time to a pig?"

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
You shouldn't make fun of fat people, Lisa.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get it... should I?
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
That pig is going to poop on the farmer's overalls if he keeps holding it up like that.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
That pig is going to poop on the farmer's overalls if he keeps holding it up like that.

Thats exactly what I thought [Wink] .
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
http://content.todayscartoons.uclick.com/?feature=cd7def5af5a6e50ad645b0fb067b7e4e
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Morbo:
http://content.todayscartoons.uclick.com/?feature=cd7def5af5a6e50ad645b0fb067b7e4e

[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent E
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for Silent E   Email Silent E         Edit/Delete Post 
STOP!!!!

Oh, too late.

Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
The joke is that the farmer implied that he was a pig. Cause evidently, he doesn't care about time either.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not so much a joke, as it is social commentary.

The farmer spends a lot of time and care for the pig, an animal which isn't interested in how the farmer is feeding it, so long as it is being fed. The farmer just likes doing it this way. His father did it this way, his fathers father did it this way- it's what he was taught. The man see's this folly and in an attempt to establish his own superiority over what he thinks to be the ignorance of the farmer, points out the obvious to the farmer. He does this because he thinks it his obligation and duty to go around telling others how to do their job, something that he has no experience in, but nonetheless feels that he knows more.

The farmer, instead of humbly taking the suggest and explaining his actions, is overwhelmed with his own pride- going back through his childhood, and does not want to dishonor his father. He decides to stick even futher in his own ignorance of how to do things different, and tells the man "it doesn't matter to the pig, and it doesn't matter to me, even if you think I am just a lowly farmer."

After years of therapy, the farmer comes to terms with his ignorance and tries other ways of feeding his pig. The man, years later, comes back to the farm and see's the pig eating food the right way. He walks up to the farmer and says "See, I told you I was right." To which the farmer thinks for a moment and says "Who the heck are you anyway, coming in here and telling me how to do my job. Do I walk over to your house and tell you how to be a decent human being? No. You seem very comfortable in being a jerk all on your own. Perhaps one day you'll realize that people do things differently than you, and they are comfortable in those ways. Do you realize how much therapy you put me through? Shame on you. Shame on you. Now get off my lawn."

Very good commentary, by the way.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure it's an ad for poop-resistant overalls.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EarlNMeyer-Flask
Member # 1546

- posted      Profile for EarlNMeyer-Flask           Edit/Delete Post 
It's a social commentary on the way that people pass the time trying to understand silly jokes.

We're the farmer. Trying to understand the joke is the pig, and the joke is the apples. The observant man is self-analysis telling us that trying to understand jokes without meaning is a silly waste of time.

The truth is that understanding the joke is just a waste of time since meaning is interpretable.

Posts: 338 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Is it bad that I've laughed more about the analysis(es) than I have at the joke itself?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

<shaking head> It's really kind of hard to believe. A guy at work told me this joke, and if I'd been drinking when he got to the punchline, it would have gone right up my nose. He said, "You'd be amazed at how many people just don't get that."

I didn't believe him.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my two:

A priest, a rabbi, and a Polak walk into a bar. The bartender looks up and says, "What is this, a joke?"

Q: What is red and smells like blue paint?
A: Red paint.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm fairly confident that I do get that, but don't find it more than faintly amusing. So instead of acting mysterious and smug, why don't you explain why you find it hilarious?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

<shrug> A joke that needs to be explained isn't funny to the people getting the explanation. The joke is just that the farmer assumed the guy's concern over how long it was taking was because the pig could be getting its food much faster; not because he could be feeding it much faster. And he responded to that. Humor is about mistaken impressions and the unexpected.

You expect the farmer to come up with some response to the question of why he's wasting his time, and then he acts as though it's the pig's time that's in question. It's weird, like "Why did the monkey fall out of the tree?" "Because it was dead". The incongruity is what's funny.

Different people have different senses of humor. I didn't intend to sound smug. I was just kind of surprised, was all.

James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to have to cast myself into the "thought-it-was-a-social-commentary" group. I mean, I understood that part, but I expected something else. The feeling was reinforced by the first few posters who seemed to get the joke, so I thought I was missing something.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Okay, then I did get it. It was incongruous, sure. I just wouldn't find it laugh-inducing. You have to admit, though, that your coworker's line seems kind of smug, no?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't get it. I mean, I got it, but I thought "that's not really funny, so what am I missing that's funny?"

Oh well. I snort loudly at stuff others find baffling all the time!

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
That wasn't a joke, that was Thorax.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

So, once again in the "I don't get it" zone -- who/what is Thorax? I don't see the word on that page you linked to anywhere. Although it did send me off on a lovely tangent reading Pibgorn comics.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
Okay, then I did get it. It was incongruous, sure. I just wouldn't find it laugh-inducing. You have to admit, though, that your coworker's line seems kind of smug, no?

Not really. He just seemed kind of surprised, is all.
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
My friend was on a plane to Chicago with a priest and a rabbi. But alas, there was no punchline because it was real life.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
So, once again in the "I don't get it" zone -- who/what is Thorax? I don't see the word on that page you linked to anywhere. Although it did send me off on a lovely tangent reading Pibgorn comics.

Thorax is the nutty farmer Dr. Burber (Juliet) is talking to. And ignore her retraction. He is insane. And just the tiniest bit weird. And he would totally feed a pig apples that way.

Well, except he's a tad less likely to do so now that he's sold the farm.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Why did the chicken fall out of the tree?
Because it was stapled to the monkey.

Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Thorax is the nutty farmer Dr. Burber (Juliet) is talking to. And ignore her retraction. He is insane. And just the tiniest bit weird. And he would totally feed a pig apples that way.

That link appears to be to an ad.
Heffaji
Member # 3669

- posted      Profile for Heffaji   Email Heffaji         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by narrativium:
Why did the chicken fall out of the tree?
Because it was stapled to the monkey.

Now I'm going to have dead baby jokes running through my head all day.
Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
What's green, hangs on a wall, and whistles?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, what's green, hangs on a wall, and whistles?
Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

A red herring.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

A red herring isn't green.
Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

You could paint it green.
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

But it doesn't hang on a wall.
ElJay
Member # 6358

You could nail it to a wall.
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

A red herring, painted green and nailed to a wall, does not whistle!
ElJay
Member # 6358

I just put that part in so it wouldn't be too easy.
Icarus
Member # 3162

*applause*

[Big Grin]

T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

<--- in awe of Enigmatic and ElJay.
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a cute joke, but it probably needs to be told in person for maximum effect.
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
A red herring.

Funniest line in the play!
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

rivka, thanks for the Thorax explanation. And ElJay, thanks for the red herring.
ElJay
Member # 6358

*bows*

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.