FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Another "You know you've become a Hatracker when..." thread

Author Topic: Another "You know you've become a Hatracker when..." thread
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
You know you've become a Hatracker when...

...you finally get over the yellow and grey colour scheme.

...you are no longer able to distinguish between the terms 'forum post' and 'essay'.

...you wake up at 5:30 AM to do some last minute studying for an exam, finish the exam, go out for a couple of hours with friends to celebrate, get home, drive out to a party an hour away, spend 5 hours there, get home at 1 AM, and fire up your computer to continue a theological debate with rivka.

Post your own!

[ November 10, 2006, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: Euripides ]

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You know we've done this thread about three times already, and can still come up with new things to post. [Big Grin]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Euripides, you might consider quitting while your addiction is still in the early stages. You, for example, actually studied for your exam, went out with RL friends, and spent until the wee-hours partying...

INSTEAD OF HATRACKING.

I agree that you've become a Hatracker, but it's not too late for you.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
. . .you are on the cusp of 22,000 posts, and you use it to warn a newbie to get away while he still can.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Morbo:
. . .you are on the cusp of 22,000 posts, and you use it to warn a newbie to get away while he still can.

[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
And now I remember why it took me nearly five years to decide to join up...
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
... you wonder if there's a Hatrack table in the afterlife...
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

Thanks for the warning Bob - maybe I can't quit, but I can hatrack in moderation. (so now it's a verb?)

Hatrack is one of very few sites I know where having a post count of 236 makes you a newb [Smile]

...you use your 21,999th post to warn a newb that he is becoming addicted, and reach your 22,000th post almost immediately afterwards.

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
We're all newbs compared to Bob.
". . . and reach your 22,000th post almost immediately afterwards." [ROFL]
Good follow up!

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Bob's hopeless. I can't believe someone would make 22,000 posts on a message board. That's crazy.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I use to think that too until I saw some people on another message board with post counts over 100,000. That's just ridiculous. I mean I understand liking a board and hanging out there often, but 100,000 posts? Craziness.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I seriously wonder if those are inflated post counts.

edit: not Bob's or Dag's, but the 100K

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
I seriously wonder if those are inflated post counts.

edit: not Bob's or Dag's, but the 100K

I wouldn't be surprised. I've seen some boards with really bad post whoring before.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I think many of them probably are. I know one guy on one board though who posts anywhere between 200 and 500 posts a week. Most are simple one line responses in about every thread on the board (nothing of any significant length), but very little of it is spamming or simple "me too"s or what have you.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bob's hopeless. I can't believe someone would make 22,000 posts on a message board. That's crazy.
Say's a man with a mere 21,000. You know, that's only 4.5% less posts.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:

21000, however, is completely acceptable.
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Bev and I have a couple of friends who got married a week after us (we actually went to their wedding while on our honeymoon), and we love to say to them "When you've been married as long as we have, you'll understand."
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
We have some friends who got married six weeks before us, and we say similar things, in the opposite direction. [Smile]
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by plaid:
... you wonder if there's a Hatrack table in the afterlife...

You joke: Yah, it's between the WoW addicts and the professional Star Trek look-alikes.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pfresh85:
I think many of them probably are. I know one guy on one board though who posts anywhere between 200 and 500 posts a week. Most are simple one line responses in about every thread on the board (nothing of any significant length), but very little of it is spamming or simple "me too"s or what have you.

hmm.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...you finally get over the yellow and grey colour scheme.

It never bothered me, was I a hatracker the moment I laid eyes on the forum?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
It didn't bother me either.
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
It bother me for a while. But I got over it. Now I kinda like it [Smile]
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
You've been hatracked. Of course you like it. Sheesh.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob_Scopatz:
Actually, Euripides, you might consider quitting while your addiction is still in the early stages. You, for example, actually studied for your exam, went out with RL friends, and spent until the wee-hours partying...

INSTEAD OF HATRACKING.

Yeah, no kidding. Some of us were just WAITING all day for you to respond. [Wink]

And Dags, if your post-per-day-since-joining rate weren't so much ridiculously higher than Bob's, you might have a leg to stand on.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
It's never looked gray to me, and it's always struck me as the most attractive looking webforum I have seen. Every other place is either blue and gray, black and gray, or black and red. Hatrack's yellor and light blue is such a nice change . . . like sunshine in the virtual world.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:

Yeah, no kidding. Some of us were just WAITING all day for you to respond. [Wink]

Aww, thanks rivka.

Icarus, you're scaring me. And with a hexadecimal value of #f7f7f7 it's certifiably grey [Smile]

[ November 23, 2006, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: Euripides ]

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Even on photoshop, F7F7F7 doesn't look grey to me. Looks much more white than grey.

(Although I will correct myself on the top and bottom bars: they're more minty green than light blue.)

Seriously, I have never perceived it as grey.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the forum the minute I discovered that it existed.
Also, I always thought of it as an off white, not quite a gray...

Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks grey to me.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
"...you have an Ender's Game trailer in your head."

*guilty*

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

How does it go, Altariel?

Does it have heaps of explosions and a voice-over narrator with a really deep voice going "One boy... One hope for humanity... [etc. etc.] ...and a game to save the world!"?

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
It's never looked gray to me, and it's always struck me as the most attractive looking webforum I have seen. Every other place is either blue and gray, black and gray, or black and red. Hatrack's yellor and light blue is such a nice change . . . like sunshine in the virtual world.

Same here. I don't actually have any other forums I regularly post on because all of the normal schemes hurt my eyes. Hatrack's is the only one that doesn't give me a headache.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Euripides:
How does it go, Altariel?

Does it have heaps of explosions and a voice-over narrator with a really deep voice going "One boy... One hope for humanity... [etc. etc.] ...and a game to save the world!"?

No, it actually goes along the lines of:

***Start Trailer***

Text: "Some say that life is but a game..."
(flash of Giant game)
*fades into*
(a few seconds of commander's giving orders, Ender is in the line*

Text: "But, in this world, the entire human race depends on that game..."
*fades into*
Text: "and the only one who can win, is a child."

*flash of a child playing with the simulator*

*cut into battle room, the children are playing with the flash guns and the like, very actiony*

*fades into graff walking into the Wiggin household saying "I'm here to see your son."

Text: "What do you make of a world, where there is no such thing as childhood?"

Ender's mother: "(Says something to Graff about how she doesn't want Ender to go.)

Graff looks at Ender," Will you go?"
Ender nods, "I'll go."

Graff and Ender drive away, Ender's family is in the lawn looking as they leave, mom is crying.
*fades into black*

Text: "...for Ender"

Next we show various action clips of the movie, *music get's strong* including his fight with Bonzo and Petra fainting. Oh, and don't forget that view of Earth from a window of the Battle school.
(and for some reason I want to insert a woman/girl screaming "ENDER!!!!" at the end right before...)
*cuts to black*

*title fades in*
ENDER'S GAME

*fades into*
Coming soon
*fades into*
(That screen with all the titles, rating and production stuff that floods all the screen)

In the background, some light music that fits the mood will play, something that sounds sci-fi but sophisticated, not "nerdy".

***End trailer***

I think I might be able to do a little something using After Effects. You guys like so far?

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

You know you're a Hatracker when you've got your diploma from Command school hanging on the wall.
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
To paraphrase Larry Miller:

11:00 PM: You've just spent half an hour arguing against artificial turf.

2:00 AM: You've just spent half an hour arguing for artificial turf.

5:00 AM: You are artificial turf.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

Oh, you were serious. Good luck with the project.
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:
To paraphrase Larry Miller:

11:00 PM: You've just spent half an hour arguing against artificial turf.

2:00 AM: You've just spent half an hour arguing for artificial turf.

5:00 AM: You are artificial turf.

*giggle*

I will also jump on the "I like Hatrack's color scheme" bandwagon... like blacwolve and Icarus, I also strongly dislike the other forums' arrangements. There's something about the labrynthiness of them that drives me crazy. You can't find a single thread that you want, because you have to get to everything through an elaborate set of links to and from different parts of the forum. This is so much more simple, and easy to read.

I have always seen it as yellow and grey, though, Icky... but it's never bothered me! On the contrary. [Smile]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

quote:
Originally posted by Raia:

You can't find a single thread that you want, because you have to get to everything through an elaborate set of links to and from different parts of the forum.

That's a very common complaint, which has luckily been addressed in Vanilla. Look, it's even yellow!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.