FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Question about the Dark Tower Series(updated - finished Wolves of Calla) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Question about the Dark Tower Series(updated - finished Wolves of Calla)
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Question, what exactly is the Gunslinger series about? It looks like a bunch of Westerns, although in a weird world. However, the story has never been explained. As someone who dislikes Westerns more than anything, I am very uncomfortable with the idea of reading them.

[ November 14, 2006, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: Occasional ]

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
Its no western, though the easiest way of seeing Roland is as a Clint Eastwood in the Good the Bad and the Ugly movie lookalike, and there are some few elements that parallel westerns. But don't let that put you off. It's no western. Read it without preconceived notions, and stick with The Gunslinger to the end.
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
And whoever said they hadn't read any King because they don't like horror: that was me until a couple of years ago. He's written plenty of stuff that's not horror, most of which I've read and enjoyed. Now I'm reading IT (yikes!) and loving it.
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
So after a little stalling I started up the series and I'm almost through The Waste Lands right now. Right now the group is crossing the George Washington looking bridge. Oy just almost fell off and they've suddenly been confronted by a man with a grenade.

Kwsni, I thought this was pretty funny:

quote:
Strider: If you don't like Gunslinger, do try the second in the series, The Drawing of the Three. It's the best of the lot.
Out of the first three The Drawing of the Three was my least favorite I think. A bit too much character development for me, and not enough ummm...anything else. Don't get me wrong, I still really enjoyed it(finished it in 2 days), but nothing really happens and there wasn't enough of the mystery surrounding Roland's world that I was hoping for.

I'm really digging the series. I'm fascinated by the world(s) he's created in these books. It's right up my alley. I have some theories about what's going on, which may or may not be right, but what I don't have any idea of is where the story will go. Well, other than to the Dark Tower that is.

Okay...back to reading.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Overall, one of the best groups of books I've read. I'm not usually a huge fan of King's. He has some good books, some fair books, and my absolute most hated book of all time (Gerald's Game - Never read that abomination).

The Gunslinger series though, is fantastic. Very complex, rich characters and worlds, emotionally involving, and lots of fun.

It's far from perfect. Some books are better than others, some spots are slow, some things aren't as well though out as they should be. Overall though, it's quite a wonderful read. I enjoyed the experience very much.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
Kwsni, I thought this was pretty funny:

quote:
Strider: If you don't like Gunslinger, do try the second in the series, The Drawing of the Three. It's the best of the lot.
Out of the first three The Drawing of the Three was my least favorite I think. A bit too much character development for me, and not enough ummm...anything else. Don't get me wrong, I still really enjoyed it(finished it in 2 days), but nothing really happens and there wasn't enough of the mystery surrounding Roland's world that I was hoping for.

Then you're going to love "Wizard and Glass", which I think is easily the best in the series.

*holds back from ruining it for him*

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's right up my alley. I have some theories about what's going on, which may or may not be right, but what I don't have any idea of is where the story will go.
This is why The Waste Lands is my favorite book, closely followed by Wizard and Glass. If you enjoy the world of this story, STOP READING after Wolves of the Calla.

Seriously.
Read Wolves of the Calla, and stop. Don't read any further. Because you will regret it.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
It's right up my alley. I have some theories about what's going on, which may or may not be right, but what I don't have any idea of is where the story will go.
This is why The Waste Lands is my favorite book, closely followed by Wizard and Glass. If you enjoy the world of this story, STOP READING after Wolves of the Calla.

Seriously.
Read Wolves of the Calla, and stop. Don't read any further. Because you will regret it.

Just because you don't like the ending doesn't mean he won't. [Razz] No need to fill him with dread about reading all of it.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Tom, Javert's right. I liked the ending. I know parts of it got a little ridiculous, but I still liked it and can't really imagine how else it could have ended. And there's no reason to frighten Strider away from making his own impressions of the last two books.
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mind the ending. The ending is fine. The last two books, however, suck.

You could insert the ending right after Wolves of the Calla and walk away, satisfied.

In fact, I'll make anyone currently reading this series an offer: let me know when you finish Wolves of the Calla, and I'll send you the last three pages of The Dark Tower. You'll feel better about the universe.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just curious Tom, but if you had received a similar warning upon finishing Wolves of the Calla, would you have taken it? I probably wouldn't, even if it came from someone whose judgment I trusted.

I certainly agree with the sentiment. Song of Susannah was awful, and The Dark Tower (a depressing book in more ways than one) was painful to slog through, but I'm nevertheless glad to have read them. At least from a completionist's perspective.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
The day after tomorrow, the first issue of the new Dark Tower comic is coming out.

Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born.

It's going to start off retelling Wizard and Glass, but it's going to do Roland's youth in detail.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
I'm just curious Tom, but if you had received a similar warning upon finishing Wolves of the Calla, would you have taken it?
Probably not. I would have found it impossible to believe -- even if someone really, really insisted -- that the last two books do absolutely NOTHING with the promise and fascinating premise of the previous ones. But I went to the last two Matrix movies, too, and saw the Star Wars prequels.

That doesn't mean that I don't regret it. My own geeky desire for "completion" has actually spoiled in some ways my enjoyment of things that were better uncompleted.

So if there's anyone out there wondering: DON'T READ THE LAST TWO DARK TOWER BOOKS. I really, really mean it. Just stop. You'll never thank me for it, because you won't know why you WOULD have thanked me for it, but the universe will.

MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I think Wolves of the Calla was my favorite of the series, followed by Wizard and Glass, followed by the final book, The Dark Tower. That's right, the last book was my 3rd favorite.

I can kind of guess why Tom doesn't like the last two. Song of Susanna really didn't do much for me at all, and some of the threads were tied up a little abruptly in The Dark Tower. How do you finish an epic story in a satisfying way though?

I think King did a remarkably good job at the ending considering how much is going on, and the very nature of the story. I think the thing that bothered me most about the ending was that the series was over. I had grown attached to the characters and the world, and I didn't want it to end.

Song of Susanna was a skimmer. But I think the last book is well worth the read. If you want to see how things turn out, and be filled with hope, sadness, a little bit of confusion, and a little bit of excitement, go ahead and read it. I've put down plenty of books part way through because I just couldn't read any more, but this series wasn't anywhere in the list.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Drawing of the Three was far and away my favorite.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Strider, I'm not surprised you didn't like Drawing of the Three as much as I do, not many people do. I like the tension in that book, but I also like knowing that everybody comes out ok. I like watching Eddie learn to be a man. He's the Point-of-View character in that book more than any other, I think that's part of it, too. I love Eddie Dean.

Wizard and Glass is probably my second favorite, up to the point where I can feel The Bad coming, and I have to skip past it every time. I made the mistake of listening to it on Audio book at work. Not a good idea.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

quote:

In fact, I'll make anyone currently reading this series an offer: let me know when you finish Wolves of the Calla, and I'll send you the last three pages of The Dark Tower. You'll feel better about the universe.

Can we take up a collection? If it reaches high enough I may consider not reading the last two books. [Smile] Otherwise, I just don't think I can bring myself to not read them, even with as much as I trust your opinion Tom. But you should be pleased that I seriously mulled it over in my mind at least.

[ February 07, 2007, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Well I just finished Wolves of Calla(after reading Salem's Lot as a precursor). I powered through this last one and it may be my second favorite of the series thus far. The only part that slowed it down for me was Callahan's story of what happened to him between Salem's Lot and Wolves. I found the story interesting, but I think it just dragged on a bit too long. Other than that I thought this last book was fascinating.

The only thing that worries me(besides Tom's dire warnings to cease and desist reading immediately) is that King has now created so many unbelievable connections between all these characters and events, that I worry how he can possibly explain them all in a satisfying way. Leaving it at "Ka" just won't do it for me.

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked parts of Song. As I recall, it ended on quite a cliffhanger for King, so you're kind of committed to continuing at that point. Dark Tower was a painful nasty slide. As I posted previously, I actually threw that book across the room at a couple different points in complete disgust at what Steve-O was doing. And I'm sorry, Tom, but that last three pages or so? Complete and utter cop-out, IMHO.

I'll end up re-reading everything, even the nasty painful slide, because that's just what I do.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
King has admitted in print that he doesn't really plot things out in advance and doesn't always know where he's going with his stories.

So it should be completely unsuprising that what seem like promising ideas and foreshadowings in the middle of the series don't go anywhere or just land with a wet thud.

I was underwhelmed with how King tied up the series but I don't regret reading all the books. King's failure to awe me doesn't negate the value I derived from the earlier books, and I found the last two books readable if not wholly enjoyable. I was initially mad about the ending (the last three pages) but I came to respect and accept that part after the shock wore off.

The Crimson King is just about the stupidest villain I've ever seen in any book, ever. Eeeeeeee!

Ever.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
The Crimson King is just about the stupidest villain I've ever seen in any book, ever. Eeeeeeee!

Ever.

Seriously. All the build-up over how many novels and he's vanquished like THAT?
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
Well I just finished Wolves of Calla(after reading Salem's Lot as a precursor). I powered through this last one and it may be my second favorite of the series thus far. The only part that slowed it down for me was Callahan's story of what happened to him between Salem's Lot and Wolves. I found the story interesting, but I think it just dragged on a bit too long. Other than that I thought this last book was fascinating.

The only thing that worries me(besides Tom's dire warnings to cease and desist reading immediately) is that King has now created so many unbelievable connections between all these characters and events, that I worry how he can possibly explain them all in a satisfying way. Leaving it at "Ka" just won't do it for me.

Are you constantly fighting down the urge to speak or write in the dialect he uses in that book? It took me weeks to get over that.
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I had that experience, Lisa. I often do after reading or viewing something that has a particularly powerful and infectious style.

But Wolves of Calla was one of the most virulent.

Right now, I'm finding it difficult to not speak with an English accent in my head because the wife and I have been watching A Bit of Fry and Laurie and I just listened to Stephen Fry's third podcast on the bus ride home.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
"The only thing that worries me(besides Tom's dire warnings to cease and desist reading immediately)"

It probably won't happen, but I really do hope he rewrites the last 2 books. I usually recommend only the first 4-5 books, and then throw caveats in about the last two. I never say "don't read them", but they're no "Wizard and Glass".

[ April 10, 2008, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: steven ]

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

quote:
Are you constantly fighting down the urge to speak or write in the dialect he uses in that book? It took me weeks to get over that.
hah, no. But I normally don't take to language like that. I have a hard time hearing dialog in my head when reading. I DO think it would be awesome to work words like "ka" or "palaver" into day to day conversation though.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.