FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My goal for tonight

Author Topic: My goal for tonight
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
is to get display lists and CPU culling working as an optimisation. I will let you know how it goes.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
good luck! love ya
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
*wrings hands*
*bites lips*
*dances from foot to foot*

HOW IS IT GOING, KOM?!?

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Right, that's display lists working, at least as an optimisation. Got a full order of magnitude out of that, so I'm pretty pleased, actually. Something weird with the display, though, I think I've got off-by-ones leading to gaps. Let's see...
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Care to explain the specifics?
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Dammit, King of Men! We need to get this ship out of here! How long until the warp drive is back up?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Haud yer horses, mon - I'm an engineer and no a miracle-worker. Ye canna change the laws of physics!
beautifulgirl57
Member # 9877

- posted      Profile for beautifulgirl57   Email beautifulgirl57         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck with that.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Hmm. Off-by-ones, right enough. But now I've got another similar problem with holes in my terrain map, showing up only at certain view angles. Worked very nicely as an optimisation, though. I guess I'll do CPU culling tomorrow, I may not even need it.
King of Men
Member # 6684

If anyone would like to see the current status of my project, here's some screenies:
Without the bug

With the bug.

Ok, ok, I only started on this heightmap thing yesterday. Have patience. For now, I'm off to bed. Have to be at work at 0800 tomorrow. [Frown] [Cry] [Sleep]

ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
What is it?
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
KoM, I can't believe you posted pics of such highly classified material on the internet!

[Eek!]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

No worries, Bob, it's part of a deliberate disinformation campaign.

It turns out that you can fix the bug by not demanding accuracy from the poor depth buffer over ten orders of magnitude. Excellent! Now then, I think the CPU culling can wait a bit; let's see about those textures.

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
My goal is to get all the papers from October graded. [Embarrassed]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
Haud yer horses, mon - I'm an engineer and no a miracle-worker. Ye canna change the laws of physics!

Sometimes you just crack me the heck up!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
mmmmmm, 3D rendering! Looks very unix to me but I only became familiar with the Linux flavor today and know not of the mysteries of grandpappy UNIX yet. Noob thing to say but am I even close??? [Confused]
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

"A Unix system! I know this!"
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

No, no, Windows. I manage to load up a texture, but it seems to be treated as a plain white surface. Curious. Let me see if I can get up a simple square.
B34N
Member # 9597

[ROFL]
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Ah so, the problem is in the alpha value of my jpg file. That'll teach me to use formats I don't really understand. Let's try it with bitmaps.
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
What are your working on?

And AFAIK jpgs don't carry an alpha value. I think jpeg2000 has it, but their really more of a joke than anything else. Off hand the only thing that carries a full alpha channel is a png.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Actually, it turns out the problem was in the way I was converting from Java to OpenGL values. But it showed up as the alpha going to 0, and hence no texture showing.

Today I got texture binding to work. Tomorrow, I need to figure out what's causing the glitches in my heightmap, and also how to use more than one texture. But I won't have time to work on it. Saturday then.

Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry KOM, but this reminded me of my little brother's project, and I've gotta brag on him. He's a 15 year old sophomore in high school working on a 3d game engine. Check out what he's got:

http://www.solgaming.com/Resources/Picture11.jpg
http://www.solgaming.com/Resources/Picture3.jpg
http://www.solgaming.com/Resources/Picture8.jpg

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Hey, that's really pretty cool. Bet it took him more than the three days I've been working on mine, though. [Smile]
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:

I hated the fact they had the girl say that in the movie when it was the boy in the book who was computer literate.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

quote:
Hey, that's really pretty cool. Bet it took him more than the three days I've been working on mine, though.
Yeah, it's taken him more like 2 or 3 years. But hey, he had to learn the language first and get a little practice with it under his belt before he really got going [Wink]
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:

I hated the fact they had the girl say that in the movie when it was the boy in the book who was computer literate.
what movie are you talking about. the only one that comes to mind that might be the one you are talking about is WAR games with Matthew Broderic. Is that the one or is it another?
Alcon
Member # 6645

Jurassic Park. The quote is by Lex Murphy. Incidentally I just discovered that the actor who played Lex Murphy in Jurassic Park graduated from Skidmore about 5 years before I got here. That was a bit of a surprise.
King of Men
Member # 6684

Ah so. The little glitches of sky showing through the ground in the interfaces between sectors, if the sector has a non-zero height at the border, is caused by Java counting y as going down the screen, while OpenGL counts it going up. Right-ho, no worries. For my next trick, I think I'll be adding texture information at the vertex level for smooth blending; then (probably not today) I'll have non-trivial heightmaps.
King of Men
Member # 6684

Actually the heightmaps are very easy, so I did that first. Terrain maps were pretty easy too, but need some fine-tuning so I don't get binary values. So now I can start adding some nice controls to move around my landscape.
Icarus
Member # 3162

My goal for tonight is to learn how to call a java applet on someone else's domain with an html wrapper, assuming that's possible.

Since it's already quarter to three, it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Icarus
Member # 3162

But it did!!
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
Alcon, not to steal KoM's rightfully earned thunder, but your brother is a prodigy. Be nice to him - maybe he will buy you a house later in life [Smile]

But I don't know you too well. Maybe you're as talented as he is.

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:

This reminds me of this Order of the Stick shirt, in which V says:

"I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to SHUT UP and SIT DOWN."

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

quote:
But I don't know you too well. Maybe you're as talented as he is.
He's better than I was at his age, but then I gave him a head start. Taught him what I knew soon as he was ready to learn it. I never really got into graphics either, I went the MUD route instead. But yeah, he's pretty darn smart and I'm really proud of him [Smile]
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
That's wonderful Alcon. I know I wish I had a brother who could teach me Unix programming. How much older are you, if you don't mind me asking?

That's one very elaborate MUD!

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Right then. Having gotten the graphics to a moderately reasonable stage, my next step is to put in something to shoot at. Which led to me writing the code 'final class Enemy'. Death to the oppressors of the people!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.