FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Thomas Covenant -- The Movie

Author Topic: Thomas Covenant -- The Movie
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Omigod.

It will be great. It will be terrible. I can't decide. I think they should make it with the same sort of animation they used in Final Fantasy.

There will be clenching. Lots of it.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmmm. Not feeling good about it.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

I mean, the whole trilogy turns on the rape, and there is no way they are leaving that in.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
oooo Leper angst on the big screen!
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Wouldn't you like to be a leper, too?
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Storm Saxon:
I mean, the whole trilogy turns on the rape, and there is no way they are leaving that in.

They have to. The story won't work without it.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been thinking about picking these up to read. Would I assume you all would suggest that as a good idea?

Oh, and ... GO BUCKS! 3 days and counting!!! (sorry I am consumed by tOSU vs. Michigan thoughts lately)

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the series, but it took me three tries to get through the first book. I was in high school and the idea of a guy who did not want to be a hero was just foriegn to me.

However, the last book had one of the most powerfully written chapters I have ever read. I was exhausted when I put it down.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the last book had one of the most powerfully written chapters I have ever read
The last in the first trilogy or the second? And which one (in non-spoiler manner, of course)?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

The last in the first trilogy.

The chapter was called Lord Morhams Victory.

It depicts the epic battle between one of my favorite characters and the evil being seiging the last bastion of good in the Land.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Yes, that was a very powerfully written chapter.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Good books. Somewhat overwritten - especially the second trilogy. I did the feeling that Donalson had gotten a word-of-the-day calendar.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

You think those are over written? Try his Gap series. I like it as well.

I was thinking that with CGI tech that Jackson used, these books could finally get made.

I can see Shaq being the model for Saltheart Foamfollower.

I wonder who will play the bloodguard? Chuck Norris for Bannor.

msquared

Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Both of Stephen R Donaldson's series seem to pivot around the subject of rape. Strong impact, but it's made the books at least objectionable.

I wish they'd done the Gap Series instead though. Sniff, no love for one of the most despicable heroes in literature.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by beatnix19:
I've been thinking about picking these up to read. Would I assume you all would suggest that as a good idea?

I would, but it depends on a lot of things. I've met very few people who've loved Covenant and LOTR (I'm not one of them, either).

It might depend on your age as well. I read them when I was 16, and they absolutely changed the way I looked at the world. If fora like this one had been around then, I might have been whinier than Pelegius. I certainly felt like the world was a very inimicable place, and I had no idea how I was going to get through it. I think these books helped a lot, though I'm not sure I can put into words just how they did it.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by msquared:
The last in the first trilogy.

The chapter was called Lord Morhams Victory.

It depicts the epic battle between one of my favorite characters and the evil being seiging the last bastion of good in the Land.

Oh, yes. I will never forget that chapter. It's funny... at the time I read these, I was listening to a classical music album called Fireworks! on a Walkman. Most people, when they hear "The Sorcerer's Apprentice", visualize Mickey Mouse and brooms. When I hear it, it sends me back to Lord Mhoram's Victory.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Architraz Warden:
Both of Stephen R Donaldson's series seem to pivot around the subject of rape. Strong impact, but it's made the books at least objectionable.

I wish they'd done the Gap Series instead though. Sniff, no love for one of the most despicable heroes in literature.

Even Mordant's Need has that, to a certain extent. But it's never seen as anything but utterly comtemptable in any of his books.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
You think those are over written? Try his Gap series. I like it as well.

I'm actually part way into the 5th Gap book. I've been reading them for the nth time over the past few months (in the bathroom, only, which is why it's taking me so long).

For all the ugliness and nastiness, there's a nobility in his stories, and this feeling of exhaltation when certain things happen that are just totally right.

quote:
I was thinking that with CGI tech that Jackson used, these books could finally get made.

I can see Shaq being the model for Saltheart Foamfollower.

<blink> Personally, I'm pretty locked into the Darrell K. Sweet covers. To me, that's how they all look.

quote:
I wonder who will play the bloodguard? Chuck Norris for Bannor.

Ew. Someone online actually has a casting page up with suggestions. Some of them are fairly good, I thought. If I find the link, I'll post it.
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
The question is, how can you show on the screen that you haven't merely got a red moon, no, you have by all the gods got an incarnadine moon! If I were a drinking man, I'd have turned it into a game: Every time something is incarnadine, you take a shot. Of red wine, presumably.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

Lisa

Chuck was a joke casting. I mean in his heyday he would have fit perfectly. Very little talking or personality but kick ass martial arts skills.

I do not mean Shaq personally, but his build. If you did not see Shaq next to another person you would not think he was as tall as he is. His body is in very good proportion for his height.

For example, Yao Ming is skinny compared to Shaq. He looks taller than he is becuase of that. Guys who are shorter than Shaq look taller becuase they are thinner.

Put Shaq next to Tom Cruise as Covenant and you would not need special effects.

msquared

kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I would read The Mirror of Her Dreams and A Man Rides Through first. They are great. I think the short stories he wrote after the Thomas Convenant books improved his writing considerably.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Put Shaq next to Tom Cruise as Covenant and you would not need special effects.

Heh.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
quote:

I would read The Mirror of Her Dreams and A Man Rides Through first. They are great. I think the short stories he wrote after the Thomas Convenant books improved his writing considerably.
It's funny. When I first read Mordant's Need (the two books you mentioned), I really liked them a lot, but I didn't think they were quite up to Covenant. But over the years, I think my tastes have changed. I like Mordant's Need more than the Covenant books now. A lot more, actually. Terisa Morgan is my hero.
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I just can't see this working. If it actually becomes reality I'll be very torn on whether to subject myself to it or to live with the people I already know in my head.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I admit to being curious as to how the non-traditional fantasy races (like Waynhim and Ur-Viles) will look. I'm hoping they're as exotic and alien as I imagined them to be.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never read any Donaldson, but I've been wanting to. This conversation is intriguing and I feel left out so I think I shall have to read them now.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed the first trilogy, though I struggled with Covenant himself for a while. The second trilogy was a big let down. But Donaldson had some really interesting things going on, and at times, like others have said, the stories were really powerful. Well worth a read.
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it could work without the rape.

Make it an attack that fails at the last second. No less despicable, but less offensive for most.

I wish he had done that in the books myself. I loved the visuals those books had, but disliked the books, pretty much.

I still read them all though.

I liked the second series better, myself.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
The question is, how can you show on the screen that you haven't merely got a red moon, no, you have by all the gods got an incarnadine moon! If I were a drinking man, I'd have turned it into a game: Every time something is incarnadine, you take a shot. Of red wine, presumably.

Ultimate drinking game. One shot of whiskey every time Jim Theis makes an inappropriate color combination. I tried doing this one with excessive adjectives, but my friend got alcohol poisoning after the first paragraph.

"The flickering torches cast weird shafts of luminescence dancing over the half naked harlot of his choice, her stringy orchid twines of hair swaying gracefully over the lithe opaque nose,as she raised a half drained mug to her pale red lips. Glancing upward, the alluring complexion noted the stalwart giant as he rapidly approached. A faint glimmer sparked from the pair of deep blue ovals of the amorous female as she motioned toward Grignr."

"The paunchy noble's sagging round face flushed suddenly pale,then pastily lit up to a lustrous cherry red radiance."

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Considering that most of the Covenant series consists of the author assuming that his readers need to have plot points, motivations, etc explained and repeated over and over and over and over again and again and again and again...
...it should be quite easy to condense the story into a script for a movie.
Whether or not there is a sufficient fan-base who want to expose themselves once again to the tale, or whether there is a sufficient audience for inexcusably stupid-immoral whiny narcissistic "hero"es to give good word-of-mouth, is another question altogether.

Personally, I'd prefer a visit from the MarathonMan's dentist.

[ November 15, 2006, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
I think it could work without the rape.
Only if they want to rework the underlying motivations of the character whose decision at the end of Illearth War directly leads to almost everything that happens in the rest of the series.

Elena is a fanatic because she has to make her mother's sacrifice mean something. And her fanaticism leads to the breaking of the law of death, the leaving of the bloodguard, the discovery Morham makes, the destruction of the Staff of Law, and the main evil of the entire second series.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
All I can say is, "Ew."
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

It's the scene where she tries to seduce her father that really makes me say "Ew."
Silent E
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for Silent E   Email Silent E         Edit/Delete Post 
Count me in as one of those (rare around here, it seems) who hated the Thomas Covenant series. And I mean hated. And the rape wasn't what bothered me.
Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been nearly ten years since I read the series for the first time (parents, this stuff is not really the best material for a 12 or 13 year old), and I still can't decide if I like them or not.

I'll still patiently wait and read the rest of the final trilogy, though. Because I have to know what happens.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Ela:
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
It's the scene where she tries to seduce her father that really makes me say "Ew."

Indeed. That was really odd.
It's not that simple. He was her biological father, but she was raised by Triock, who she really considered her father. And Covenant wasn't any older than her. It's really not quite as simple as you're making it sound.

And she was damaged. Unstable. Insane, really. Nutty people do nutty things. That wasn't the nuttiest in her case.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Eaquae Legit:
It's been nearly ten years since I read the series for the first time (parents, this stuff is not really the best material for a 12 or 13 year old), and I still can't decide if I like them or not.

Final tetrology, btw. And the fourth and last book isn't even tentatively scheduled to show up until 2013 or 2014. I feel like I'm writing science fiction just typing those dates.

quote:
Originally posted by Eaquae Legit:
I'll still patiently wait and read the rest of the final trilogy, though. Because I have to know what happens.

Or what happened.

I wrote him a couple of letters back after I read the first Chronicles, before The Wounded Land came out. One of the things I did was ask him if he'd ever write stories of the Old Lords. He replied that he thinks linearly. That he could never do that.

Apparently, he found a way around that, because this entire Last Chronicles is going to be flipping around in time, including back to the time of the Old Lords.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
It's not that simple. He was her biological father, but she was raised by Triock, who she really considered her father. And Covenant wasn't any older than her. It's really not quite as simple as you're making it sound.

And she was damaged. Unstable. Insane, really. Nutty people do nutty things. That wasn't the nuttiest in her case

I get the reason for it in the story. It still evokes "Ew!" from me.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Ditt-ew.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I really just hated Thomas Covenant, from start to finish: pre-rape, post-rape, and every point in between.

Reading it gave me a fuzzy, weird headache.

I made it through to the end, hoping to change my mind, but my mind never changed.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

I do not get how people can finish a whole book they hate. I can normally slog through about half way, but that's about it.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Maybe a little OCD, combined with the fact that I had bought all three books.

I have actually gotten better about putting books down that I don't love. So many books, and less and less time as I get older.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.