FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Milton Friedman died today

Author Topic: Milton Friedman died today
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for Avatar300   Email Avatar300         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently of heart failure. His book Capitalism and Freedom is one of my favorites.

Milton Friedman

Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 9284

- posted      Profile for Mig   Email Mig         Edit/Delete Post 
Great man who led a great and productive life. His PBS series based on his book "Free to Choose" was one of the politically formative events of my youth.
Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diana Bailey
Member # 8313

- posted      Profile for Diana Bailey   Email Diana Bailey         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow...I feel older now. When I first met the man who would become my husband, he insisted that I read "An Economist's Protest". I agreed if he would read selections from Karl Marx. Both of us were enriched, and Carl ended up taking several classes on Marx at UCLA. He's still pretty conservative-Friedman would be pleased-but we had some wonderful, spirited debates. I will always have a soft spot for Milton
Friedman. May his memory be a blessing.

Posts: 42 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you get to 94, you've led a pretty good life, methinks. If only the accomplishments of Friedman and other Rutgers grads of his ilk were as lauded in the press and by society as the accomplishments of our football team.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
This news makes me sad. [Frown]
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
It was always the very, very worst dregs of internet economic debate that would cite Friedman the most, often without even really understanding his positions as opposed to championing him as a patron saint of their own moonbat economics. It was such a shame, too, since he was really an incredibly brilliant man.

I'm thinking (hoping?) that's mostly past!

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.