FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Left me in stitches

Author Topic: Left me in stitches
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

- posted      Profile for DaisyMae   Email DaisyMae         Edit/Delete Post 
... my doctor did, that is.

Having never undergone surgery before, the recovery process is new and somewhat daunting.

I had breast reduction surgery on Monday morning. I'm finally beginning to feel mobile enough to leave me recliner and camp out in other areas of the house.

I anticipated pain and have gotten what I've anticipated, but the pain is managable and I'm not suffering too much there.

The stitches are horrific and make my stomach churn to look at, so I try to change my dressings and shower without too much inspection.

Though there is bruising and swelling, I'm ecstatic about the outcome and anxious to get healed so that I may live life in my new and improved body.

For those of you who feel too small, I can only tell you that it's WAY better on this side.

Probably the most difficult thing for me right now is my mental state during recovery. Recovery heavily restricts my physical abilities, leaving me sitting around feeling like my brain is turning to mush. I'm getting restless and my attention span seems to be shrinking by the minute. I don't want to watch any more TV or read any more lame books (and I love to read!) or do any more dumb puzzles. I want to go somewhere, talk to someone. I'M BORED!

Any suggestions on how to keep my brain from atrophying while the rest of me heals?

Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
There are a lot of online word scramble-type games, and sudoku types games. You could read, or learn a new language. Study a subject you've always found interesting, but never had time to study before.

Best of luck on the recovery.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Engage in heated debate on Hatrack? Nope, sorry -- beyond DVDs, books, and surfing the net I'm out of suggestions.

Hope the healing goes quickly, and glad you're pleased with the results (well, beyond the immediate pain).

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I went through this two weeks ago after an emergency appendectomy and exploratory surgery. I wasn't nearly as immobile as you but I also had an overprotective mother hovering over me. As college student I though I'd love a week of lounging on the couch, but yes, there's only so much tv and sodoku that a normal person can handle.

Do you have any friends or family who can visit? Maybe bring the outside to you? I had people bringing me sushi and watching and mocking Jackson's King Kong with me. Maybe someone can bring you some study books like Tinros suggested. I know I regretted not bringing my Japanese language books with me while I was packing.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.