FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My First Apartment

Author Topic: My First Apartment
Nellie Bly
Member # 9129

- posted      Profile for Nellie Bly   Email Nellie Bly         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so excited! I'm getting my very first apartment (student housing apartment doesnt really count. It wasn't mine.) My brothers girlfriends friend is moving to Michigan in January to work on his doctorate and was looking for someone to sublet his apartment to, and the wonderful person that she is, thought of me. I Just saw it two days ago, and I fell in love with it. As soon as he gets back from thanksgiving break, I'm going to tell him thati'll take it.
It's the weirdest apartment I've seen. It has all these angles, and a crappy, very small kitchennette, and the plaster is kind of crubling. And while theres a lot of closet space, not much of it is accessible.
But it's absolutely perfect. it has tons of windows. It's close to my 'downtown' area, if you could call it that. And it would turn my twelve minute drive to work into a 4 minute drive.
And the biggest selling point... the bathroom. It's crazy. It's sort of shaped like a rhombus. and it has this amazing tiling, and this window by the bathtub that made me laugh.
Now if only i can find furniture small enough to fit inside... [Smile]

Posts: 97 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Inaccessible closets? Are they on the ceiling?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
HAHA, congrats on the find. Guess you could call it a deal too. Can't say much for furniture. Most of mine I payed for with a case of beer, goodwill, given by a friend getting out of the Navy, or I actually went and payed for it (besides goodwill).
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nellie Bly
Member # 9129

- posted      Profile for Nellie Bly   Email Nellie Bly         Edit/Delete Post 
Lol, No. I don't really know how to describe it, they extend way past the door, and you can't really get into the far recesses of the closets.
Posts: 97 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I am le tired.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome, Nellie. I moved into my first apartment this fall, too.

When we were apartment hunting last spring, we deliberately picked the old, misshapen upstairs apartment over the cookie-cutter apartment complex apartments. It's got SO much more character even though there are weird quirks about it, like the fact that the floors are slightly tilted, just enough that if you sit in a roller chair, you'll roll downwards.

(more quirks)
The lightswitch for my room isn't actually in my room, it's in the kitchen down the hall (my roommate loves turning my light on at night), and the lightswitch in the bathroom is actually as far away from the door as you can get, over by the shower(you have to go AROUND the toilet, which is hilarious at night). Lastly, there are no power outlets on the kitchen counter or the stove :-) We have an extension cord running across the room to a power strip that we plug all the appliances into.

BUT, it's right downtown and close to campus. I couldn't be happier.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Nellie.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Nellie, I have a small place with some often difficult closets, and it's been a sort of learning process for me with storage...but it's really doable! Plus, I kept the furniture kind of to a minimum (I don't have any kind of kitchen/dining table). So if ya want help, ask. [Smile] I'm not an expert yet, but I'm getting better.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
Congats!
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
My first apt (lived there two years) had big closets, but there were other issues.

I moved into a "nice" apartment complex, as opposed to one of the natty ones, but looking back, the management is likely better at a smaller, more tenement style building where I live. The thing was, this complex I moved into had a series of quadriplexes, and the management wasn't local, and it wasn't very friendly. We would recieve notices that we had to stay home for whole days to moniter the chimney cleaners while they worked in our apartment, and we got so fed up with that and a bunch of construction they were doing, that we refused to acknowledge the notices. Once they told us we had to sign up for a time to have our door painted... two months before we moved out. We flatly told them that they could do retouching and other renovation (they had already completely replaced our siding, with us IN the apartment) after we had moved out. Just understand that you have power as the tenant, that you don't have to go with they pronouncements- because pronouncements are usually how big landlords deal with tenants, ime.

I live in a house now, and like it much better.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by B34N:
Congats!

Congats from my part too!
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.