FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Wikipedia entry: Human

Author Topic: Wikipedia entry: Human
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
Completely by chance, I found myself on the Wikipedia article simply titled "Human." In a matter of seconds, I was fascinated. It is a very long article, and in a quick scan if it, it appeared to cover nearly everything about humanity in a general way. It is written for a society of aliens, it seems, who wish to learn about our species. It covers everything from genetics to evolution to art and science and religion and politics.

Also, the pictures on the side are very interesting. The images chosen to represent all of humanity are: a crude outline of a man and a woman; a drawing of a skelaton; an random Inuit woman; a drawing of a fetus; two random girls; a skull; a map of early human migration; a brain; a painting, "Rest on Flight to Egypt"; another painting "Tio Paquete" by Goya; a statue, "The Kiss"; a statue of a man meditating; "the largest religious gathering in history"; a painting of Plato and Aristotle; "The Thinker", a statue; an astronaut; the UN building; the atom bomb going off; and a market in Guatemala.

here is the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_species

This is truly Wikipedia at its best.

here are some of my favorite bits:

on death:
quote:
The philosophical questions of when human personhood begins and whether it persists after death are the subject of considerable debate. The prospect of death causes unease or fear for most humans. Burial ceremonies are characteristic of human societies, often inspired by beliefs in an afterlife or immortality.
on physiology:
quote:
Humans are capable of fully bipedal locomotion, thus leaving their arms available for manipulating objects using their hands, aided especially by opposable thumbs. Because human physiology has not fully adapted to bipedalism, the pelvic region and vertebral column tend to become worn, creating locomotion difficulties in old age.
on life cycle:
quote:
At birth, the fully-grown fetus is expelled from the female's body and breathes independently as an infant for the first time. At this point, most modern cultures recognize the baby as a person entitled to the full protection of the law, though some jurisdictions extend personhood to human fetuses while they remain in the uterus.
on diet:
quote:
The human diet is prominently reflected in human culture, and has led to the development of food science. In general, humans can survive for two to eight weeks without food, depending on stored body fat. Survival without water is usually limited to three or four days.
on consciousness:
quote:
The brain also controls "higher" order, conscious activities, such as thought, reasoning, and abstraction.[37] The human brain is generally regarded as more capable of these higher order activities, and more "intelligent" in general, than any other species.
again:
quote:
The human ability to think abstractly may be unparalleled in the animal kingdom. Human beings are one of only six species to pass the mirror test—which tests whether an animal recognizes its reflection as an image of itself—along with chimpanzees, bonobos, orangutans, dolphins, and possibly pigeons.
on art:
quote:
Art is one of the most unusual aspects of human behavior and a key distinguishing feature of humans from other species.
on space:
quote:
Human habitation within closed ecological systems in hostile environments, such as Antarctica and outer space, is expensive, typically limited in duration, and restricted to scientific, military, or industrial expeditions. Life in space has been very sporadic, with no more than thirteen humans in space at any given time. Between 1969 and 1972, two humans at a time spent brief intervals on the Moon. As of 2006, no other celestial body has been visited by human beings, although there has been a continuous human presence in space since the launch of the initial crew to inhabit the International Space Station on October 31, 2000.
on ...?
quote:
Humans often consider themselves to be the dominant species on Earth, and the most advanced in intelligence and ability to manage their environment. This belief is especially strong in modern Western culture. Alongside such claims of dominance is often found radical pessimism because of the frailty and brevity of human life.

Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

The human ability to think abstractly may be unparalleled in the animal kingdom. Human beings are one of only six species to pass the mirror test—which tests whether an animal recognizes its reflection as an image of itself—along with chimpanzees, bonobos, orangutans, dolphins, and possibly pigeons.

Actually elephants passed this test fairly recently,(like just weeks ago,) I should edit the article and link the news report on CNN.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

Yeah, there's a bit about elephants right after that.
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This is out of date: elephants do, too, a discovered recently.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I think wikipedia can teach an alien civilization the entirety of humanity if they read all of the articles.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, maybe I'm going out on a limb, but I think elephants have passed the mirror test, too.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:
I think wikipedia can teach an alien civilization the entirety of humanity if they read all of the articles.

I only read it for the articles, myself.

[No matter what anyone says.]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Woe be it to sightless animals, forever unable to prove their sentience.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
You know, maybe I'm going out on a limb, but I think elephants have passed the mirror test, too.
I was only late because I tried to find a cite.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

The worm has turned, and will turn again. Unfortunately, it can only smell the representation of itself in the moist, stinky earth.

Alas!

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
quote:
*grin

Quite well do I know the feeling. Woe unto those who strive for rigor! [Smile]

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
As if BlackBlade's say so is not source enough.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Woe unto those who strive for rigor!
Woe, indeed - rigor mourn us!

quote:
As if BlackBlade's say so is not source enough.
Well Blackblade's say so wasn't there when I composed my post. [Razz]
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a nice find. A very good read.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*whisper* Those of us who have gotten tired of being beaten to the punch by the cite-less have learned to post first, and edit in a citation later.

[Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

rigor more or less. [Smile]
Soara
Member # 6729

Agg! I cut out the part about the elephants because it wasn't relevant to the quote -- (the part I liked most about that quote was the pigeons, actually) and I didn't notice it until after I'd copy-pasted. Obviously I should have included it...sorry guys. [Smile]
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that this thread was going to tell us that there is a new entry in Wikipedia about the fictional piggie/Pequenino named Human!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
rigor more or less. [Smile]

Don't be so hard on yourself.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
I thought that this thread was going to tell us that there is a new entry in Wikipedia about the fictional piggie/Pequenino named Human!
Oh, someone make a disambiguation link and add a Human the Pequenino article. They already have a Pequenino article.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Soara, this is great, by the way. Thanks for the informative post!
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
rigor mourn us!
Did you intend us to read that as rigor mortis?
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

No need to be so stiff in your phrasing, Alcon. [Cool]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:
quote:
rigor mourn us!
Did you intend us to read that as rigor mortis?
I think my intent was apparent upun the face of the post.

(edit: or, as I should have said originally, "Of corpse I did!")

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

<you have all just been spared a long, drawn-out shaggy dog story about a young apprentice baker named Shawn, his brutal Italian-speaking overseer, and his rather violent reaction to being told he hadn't added enough of the Teuh spice to the morning's loaves>
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Awwwww.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too, Uprooted.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Awwwww.

"I needs-a more Teuh, Shawn!"

The punchline is enough. The rest, well, it's just post mortem.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.