FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Looking for a computer model

Author Topic: Looking for a computer model
General Sax
Member # 9694

- posted      Profile for General Sax   Email General Sax         Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen three different model of the collision that created the moon, and they are very nice, but I have a specific question about the two core masses involved.

If we use the theory that a geo-reactor drives the convection currents in the mantel, then it becomes interesting to know how active this reactor is at various times during extinction events. I have not seen a model that shows how quickly the heavy core material from the second Mars sized body moved into the core of the Earth. If large predictable fragments merged at critical periods followed by basaltic flows that resulted in extinction events then their is a another source for periodic extinctions.

So if anybody has seen a fine model with interior detail over geological time let me know, I am curious to see it.

[ November 26, 2006, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: General Sax ]

Posts: 475 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimmyCooper
Member # 7434

- posted      Profile for JimmyCooper   Email JimmyCooper         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea if this helps or not. But, my geology teacher showed us a couple slides from a supercomputer simulation of a Mars sized impact. It's on the 1st Powerpoint link for ch 1. The specific slides are 25-27. link
Posts: 33 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I assure you, my computer is a natural when it comes to glamour shoots!
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
unhelpful link
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
General Sax
Member # 9694

- posted      Profile for General Sax   Email General Sax         Edit/Delete Post 
Unhelpful but interesting...

I have seen those supercomputer sims before, I think on the Discovery Channel but they do not run them through geological time. It looks as if the core materiel from the smaller body got smeared out into a thick layer in the outer core. Since the Earth was really whirling at that point it might have taken a long time for the stuff to settle, and if the deposites were large enough they might account for some more of the helium that bubbles up by creating smaller geo reactors. I wonder what kind of time frame it took for the uranium to settle...

[ November 26, 2006, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: General Sax ]

Posts: 475 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.