FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mac Question for Game Designers

Author Topic: Mac Question for Game Designers
Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

- posted      Profile for Cactus Jack           Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a free Game design program--something along the lines of Dark Basic--that is available for Mac?

I really appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Jack

Posts: 241 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. You've been around longer than me, but I don't recall seeing you before. Hmm. Still, you've got a cool name, which is the whole reason I opened this thread. [Smile]

I know nothing about the question you asked, however. [Frown] I thought I knew something about Dark Basic, but it turns out it's Dark Step, which, despite being half the same, is actually not at all. *spins*

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe most programming, including game programming, on the Mac falls into the C# category. As far as I know, C# (much like C and C++) is a bit more complex than something like Dark Basic, which (if i recall correctly) is geared towards game programming.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure that C# is what you meant? As far as I know, C# is pretty much a windows language at the moment. Mono has come a long way when it comes to supporting C# applications, but as far as I know it just isn't there yet for high performance software like games.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

I took it to mean he meant it was that "category" of programming, as in that "type."

As in, it was more like programming in C than it was like programming in Dark Basic.

Was I interpreting that right?

Posts: 241 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

Oh, and quid, I don't know anything about Dark Step, but I do know about ten step, which despite being half the same, I suspect isn't.

*Bang-bang*

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cactus Jack:
I took it to mean he meant it was that "category" of programming, as in that "type."

As in, it was more like programming in C than it was like programming in Dark Basic.

Was I interpreting that right?

I suppose you're right. Looking back on it, I probably misunderstood what he was saying. Still C# seems like a strange example to use.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Well it was a little bit on my fault. My general point was about the type of language, which Cactus Jack got. I was off somewhat though, mixing up things (what I was talking about and more current news). Mac programming is typically in Objective-C, although there have been moves in recent days to go into C# (and you can find books about programming in C# on the Mac).
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's some links for Mac game dev

http://www.idevgames.com/
http://developer.apple.com/games/
http://developer.apple.com/games/gameenginesonmac.html

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I fry Macs...ALIVE.

You could use flash...

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

Thanks for the links and for suggesting flash. You've all helped a lot.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.