FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Worst. Day. Ever.

Author Topic: Worst. Day. Ever.
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Start

5:30 am - wake up for work. Commute takes an hour when it should have taken fifteen to twenty minutes.

3:30 pm - finish work, after an extraordinarily long day thanks to Cyber Monday.

4:30 pm - finally get home, park at home to walk to the bank (the bank notoriously has no parking). Get hit by a car that tries to ninja a left turn while I'm in the crosswalk, with the walk signal. Thankfully unscathed - I'll be bruised and have some scrapes, but I was only hit at about 10 mph and am basically okay. Besides, the kid driving and his girlfriend already look scared out of their minds, so I let it go with an admonition that he should pay attention to who's in the crosswalk, and also probably turn on his lights, since it's getting dark.

7:30 pm - offer to give a friend a ride to the airport later tonight, because the shuttles aren't running due to the ridiculously abnormal weather and a cab, due to traffic, would easily run over $200.

9:00 pm - depart for the airport.

11:15 pm - finally get to the airport, thanks to traffic and other ridiculousness. Drop friend off, turn around to go home

12:15 am - less than half a mile from my apartment, lose control of car on icy downhill and crash into the back of another crashed car. It's one of SIX crashed cars on this downhill (the downhill is approximately 400 ft). Would have avoided, except you can't see what's actually on the downhill until it's too late. For once, I'm thankful I did stupid things like learn to drift race and played a LOT of racing video games, since my experience with these things is all that saved me from a much worse crash. The car still runs and everything appears undamaged, even the radiator, so I drive home.

So, well, not really the worst day ever when you consider the horrible things that happen to people; I'm relatively unharmed and my life isn't fundamentally altered or anything.

But seriously, I feel like curling up and crying, especially since I need to wake up for work again in about five and a half hours.

[Frown] The world sucked today, guys.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry.

I still think that finding out that I was pregnant despite all efforts RIGHT after my husband lost his job last year gave that day a run for its money.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
6:00am - Woken up by screaming baby.

10:45am - Depart for work in the snow.

10:50am - Wipers stop working just in time for a passing truck to spray my windshield with water. On the freeway.

11:15am - Leave car with mechanic who says he can diagnose the problem with the wipers in an hour.

12:15pm - Learn that the wipers will take all day to fix, and cost $200. Call wife for a ride to work.

1:30pm - Get to work.

3:30pm - Discover that Honda sent the mechanic the wrong part, so the car won't be ready until tomorrow afternoon. Arrange for another ride from wife.

4:45pm - Picked up by wife.

9:15pm - Arrive at home AFTER FOUR AND A HALF HOURS IN HORRIBLE SNOW TRAFFIC, WITHOUT OUR CAR, BECAUSE WE HAD TO ABANDON IT IN A SAFEWAY PARKING LOT.

10:00pm - Send e-mail to team, declaring that I am not coming in to work tomorrow.

[sigh]

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I think maybe I'll stay out of cars tomorrow as much as possible.

But seriously, my sympathies, guys. Sounds like the snow is giving out a beating.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] In Vancouver, on the one or two days of the year that it snowed, people would leave their cars on the bridges (as well as everywhere else, really). Because they didn't know how to drive in the one or two inches of snow. [Big Grin]

I laughed. [Big Grin]

After I cursed them for parking their cars on the bridges. [Mad]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
erosomniac,

Sorry for all your trouble with that 'snow' thing I keep hearing so much about.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy cow dudes!
*hugs*

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang. You have my sympathy.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
erosomniac,

Sometimes we tick off the world and until we step out the door we don't even realize it, much like a girl who is mad at you but of course they don't show it until some pivotal moment where it couldn't be worse, i.e throwing a hot cup of coffee on you while your standing with a toaster in your arms thats plugged in.

Hopefully the world has lost its blood lust for you.

*hugs* (unless that invades your personal space I forget how you played out on that thread) [Wink]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

- posted      Profile for Cactus Jack           Edit/Delete Post 
My car was stolen on the first. They found it two days later, two blocks from my house. All they'd done was bust the ignition switch and take a couple things from inside.

It's two cities away, and I still don't have it back.

I hate cars.

And my sympathies to everyone in this thread.

Posts: 241 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Storm Saxon:
erosomniac,

Sorry for all your trouble with that 'snow' thing I keep hearing so much about.

What he said.

And you too, Geoff.

*strengthens resolve to never move to snowy climes*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember the snow...sorry guys!

God I am glad to be back in sunny SoCal where "cold" means put on a sweater, not, if the heater fails we are all going to die.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by A Rat Named Dog:
10:00pm - Send e-mail to team, declaring that I am not coming in to work tomorrow.

[sigh]

I'm at the same point.

Stupid sudden WA snow. [Frown]

Thanks, guys. I feel better this morning. I feel even better because I'm not currently on the road. Seriously, after yesterday, FORGET driving today. If you're in WA, stay home: it ain't worth it.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Port Hueneme? My grandpa used to live there. Great area. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry you had such a sucky day, eros and Geoff.
I do know three little people who are grateful for the sudden western WA snow ( ducks snowball)

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by romanylass:
Sorry you had such a sucky day, eros and Geoff.
I do know three little people who are grateful for the sudden western WA snow ( ducks snowball)

Oh, I was pretty excited about it, too, until it started making bad things happen!

But if driving is something you leave to mom, then live it up. [Smile]

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
rivka: Oh yea, great little pocket comunity. we are boardered by a big ol' navy base and the sea. So it's really nice. Gosh and golly gee I love California! Exept the taxes.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs for eros and Geoff*

My car got a flat tire Sunday night, except that I didn't have a spare because I hadn't had a chance to get a replacement for the last tire malfunction...I spent two hours in a shady neighborhood trying to get my car towed to my house. [Frown]

Beware, people. The cars are beginning their revolt against us.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
erosomniac, it sounds like a rotten day, but I must say that you acted like a prince every step of the way. Hats off to you, you stand up guy, you! [Hat]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
Stone_Wolf_: [Wave] The Moose and Squirrel family lives in Camarillo.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

And the SoCal clump is WAYYYYY overdue for a shinda. *ponders*
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
but...but... there's weather in SoCal! it even rained for a bit on monday morning...

Actually that was the most pleasant waking to my alarm in such a long time. Everytime I hear the patter of a light rain out here (i.e. twice a year) I severely miss good summer rainstorms back in the midwest [Frown]

But for those stuck in the snowy/icy regions you have my sympathy, and I'll be sharing your pain in a few weeks when I fly back in to Chi-town to visit the family [Smile]

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

Thanks for the votes of sympathy, everyone! The subsequent days have been better, thankfully.
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay!!
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I commented to my husband yesterday that this weather is the reason I left Alaska. I hate snow. It's nice to visit, but I don't want it in my neighborhood.

We were among the lucky ones, though. Our power was out from Sunday til Tuesday night... I missed Heroes [Frown] . But our power came back. Most of our friends still don't have power and may not for another week yet.

eros, Puppy, I'm glad you guys are doing better now. I thought I could take this kind of weather every 10 years ('96 got more snow if you can believe that), but I'm not so sure now. I hate snow. Bah humbug. [Smile]

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
Ohhh, DUDE! That is a crappy day. I'm sorry, bud.
Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.