FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Recipe Help

Author Topic: Recipe Help
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
Several weeks ago, I was leafing through some of the MANY recipe books that we have laying around. I saw a recipe for hot chocolate mix that could be made and stored up to 6 months. After thinking about it for awhile, I finally decided that this is what I wanted to make for my family for their Christmas presents. However, when I went back to the recipe books, I could no longer find this recipe. I have looked on the Internet but can't find one similar to that one. The one I saw was made so that you could mix it with hot milk and not just water. I don't really remember what else was in it.

Help! Does anybody have a recipe for hot chocolate mix to be mixed with milk that they could share?

Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't most hot chocolate be mixed with milk as well? All the store bought mixes I've seen have said you could do that for a creamer version.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Basically its a mixture of powdered milk and cocoa and sugar. I've seen the recipe's before. All can be mixed with either.

The best presentation for these is packaged in an air tight jar, one layer of the mix topped by a layer of marshmellows, then cookies or something.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
HOT CHOCOLATE MIX

4 cups dry milk
1 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon instant decaffeinated coffee (optional)

Mix the ingredients and put them into a plastic container or double plastic bags. Label the mix "Hot Chocolate. Use 1/4 cup per cup
of boiling water." Makes 20 cups. (Makes 80 servings)

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the help, guys (and gals).

As I have never had the commercially bought hot chocolate mixes, I didn't realize there wasn't really a difference in what you mix it with.

Guess now all I have to do is find somebody who can go to the store for me.

Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
A bit of cinnamon is a great addition to hot chocolate.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup. Love cinnamon in hot chocolate. [Smile]

You can also try a bit of red chilli powder. Um, what would your closest equivalent be? Cayenne powder, I think. Just the tiniest little bit adds a bit of oomph to it. [Smile]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
This wouldn't work so well in a prepared mix, but when I make myself hot chocolate, I love to add a drop or two of peppermint extract.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
You can smash up a few candy canes and add them to the mix for peppermint hot chocolate.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I like that idea. And I'm also a liker of minty chocolate. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I like sticking a mint teabag to steep in my hot chocolate.

I've gotten some very weird looks when I've ordered that at coffee shops, though.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
You actually can add mint extract when you're making a powdered mix. Put it in a heavy zip-lock bag or a jar, add the extract, seal and shake it really well.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.