FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fattening Food

Author Topic: Fattening Food
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there some sort of biological urge to eat sugary and fattening food when it's near winter?
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crescentsss
Member # 9494

- posted      Profile for crescentsss   Email crescentsss         Edit/Delete Post 
hibernation, of course. i do it every winter [Big Grin]
Posts: 97 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Metabolism does tend to change during late fall. In general (in the U.S. and Canada anyway), people experience weight gain (it's noticable and regular enough that airlines plan for it). Humans don't hibernate, but there's certainly less daylight and less food available during winter, and that surely must have had some effect on our evolution (yes, I said evolution. Deal [Big Grin] ). I know that lack of sleep (tiredness) can cause or increase hunger; perhaps tiredness that increases with the dark and dreariness leads to people eating more to pep themselves up.

And all biology aside for a moment, there is *definately* a commercial/cultural/social urge to eat sugary and fattening food when it's near winter. I myself only just managed to resist the reduced-price post-Halloween candy sale, and not even a month later it's the holiday that celebrates excess, and then, poof! Christmas cookies, fruitcake, fudge, and chocolate.

...and now I'm hungry....

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.