FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My Christmas Tree Terror

Author Topic: My Christmas Tree Terror
Nellie Bly
Member # 9129

- posted      Profile for Nellie Bly   Email Nellie Bly         Edit/Delete Post 
My cousin Kelly and I live with our uncle. We thought it would be nice if we went and got a tree and put it up and had it decorated when he and his son came home this weekend. you know, a nice surprise. (Not mentioning we wanted to do it for us too.)

So we go to the tree lot today, which is of course the coldest day this week, and it was raining like insane people. We finally found the perfect tree, and it was relatively inexpensive. Because the tree was wet, we wanted to tie it to the top of my van. So we lifted it up there and tried to tie it down, but it wasn't working, so we had to pull it down, and shove it in my van and the trunk wouldnt shut, of course, so we had to tie it down.

We stop at the store to pick up a tree stand, some lights, and some ornaments. When we got back out, my car had died. [Wall Bash] Because my trunk was open, the interior lights had been on the whole time we were inside, and it drained the battery. Blessings to the stranger who got out of his car and helped us jump it.

We get back to my uncles house, and put the tree in between the two back doors, so it could dry out. I call my brother and ask him to help us get it in the tree stand. He agrees and says he'll be over after he gets off work.

An hour after he's supposed to be here, he calls me back.

"I can't find my coat. I think it's in my car, and I let Tommy use it for work. So I'm not coming."

Poo-head. [Wall Bash]

So when I go to open the backdoor to get the tree from the entryway, I can't open the door. It opens outwards, and the tree is blocking the door. So I send Kelly out around the house to pull the tree out of the way so I can open the door so we can get it in the house. After 10 minutes of pushing and pulling we finally get it through the door, and into the tree stand. Kelly is holding it upright, and I'm trying to get the screws in tight. After an hour we finally get it tight enough. But the tree was too close to the corner, so we had to pull it out. Guess what happened when kelly reached into the tree and pushed? It fell over. [Wall Bash]

So we had to rescrew it in again, this time it took much longer, and as we were stringing the lights up, it started to lean again.

"It's crooked again." Kelly said.

"Let's just finish the lights, and we'll get it uncrooked." I told her.

We had this particular conversation about twelve times. [Wall Bash]

Finally we finish with the lights, but the tree looked a little bare, so we decided to get more lights. So we go and get the lights, and i get something to help me keep the tree upright.

We get back to the house and I take my secret weapon out of the shopping bag.

"Tree," I say, "meet styrofoam(sp?)."

I know, it's such a girl thing to do, but I will have you know that that tree is now sturdy as a rock and beautifully decorated in red and white lights, tinsel, bows, various colored ornaments, and a pretty angel on top. It's the best tree EVER.

And I found out I'm allergic to pine needles. [Wall Bash]

No wonder I have a headache.

Posts: 97 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No wonder I have a headache.
Well if it wasn't the tree, all the [Wall Bash] ing, is probably a contributing factor.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nellie Bly
Member # 9129

- posted      Profile for Nellie Bly   Email Nellie Bly         Edit/Delete Post 
it's not my fault every person I encountered today made me want to [Wall Bash] . I showed great restraint with my limited [Wall Bash] ing, I think.
Posts: 97 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

My family avoided your issues by switching to an artificial prelit tree. Which I'll probably have some day when I have kids, though one year or two I might get a real tree. It's a combination of being environmentally conscious and lazy.

I'm always blown away by old timey Christmas movies like White Christmas where there are REAL candles on Christmas trees. That looks like an inferno waiting to happen.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nellie Bly
Member # 9129

My cousin and I thought about a fake tree, but the cheapest we could find of the size we wanted was more than $200. Being poor college students, we opted for the $19 real tree. At least we don't neet to buy any air freshener this month.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother and I are both allergic to trees (well, I'm only allergic to fir, he's allergic to both fir and pine, but I have no doubt if I kept getting pine I'd soon be allergic to that, too.) So it's fake trees all the way for us. Although right now we have no room, so our tree is a 3-ft. fiber-optic tree that sits on a table.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

What about spruce?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
They sell spruce for Christmas trees?

Well, I've never seen it. But if I did use it, I've no doubt that within five years of bringing them into my home, I'd be allergic. [Frown] I'm very sensitive to tree and plant pollens and stuff; I develop new allergies all the time.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Also, I'm fairly sure that close contact with most trees sets off my daughter's eczema.)
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
We have an antique Christmas Tree.

It belonged to my wife's grandmother.

Oh, just in case you were worrying, its artificial.

It is also on a base that revolves (which makes stringing the lights real easy.).

Oh, just in case you were worrying, it has an interesting electrical connection that revolves with the tree, so that the lights don't get all wound up like a top.

It also plays music, like a music box, which is pretty and festive and really gets annoying quickly.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

My dad has an aluminum tree with a colorwheel.

It's teh awesomest.

Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
My Daughter's Grandmother gave her one of the aluminum trees with a colorwheel. Grandpa was a master carpenter and very caring of his tools. He kept the tree the same way. Each branch still has the original paper sleeve that it had when it was purchased. The tree, and the colorwheel are still in pristine original boxes. She loves it. It is, even now, decked out in all purple glass balls. it is truely awesome. I do understand that there is a modern version that is for sale this year. It comes in baked on color.

[ December 01, 2006, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: Artemisia Tridentata ]

Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
My dad has an aluminum tree with a colorwheel.

It's teh awesomest.

We had one of those when I was a little kid. I loved that thing. It was very cool.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
They sell spruce for Christmas trees?

Our Christmas tree is a blue spruce. They have such nice shapes to them.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.