FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Holiday Gift Advice Thread

Author Topic: The Holiday Gift Advice Thread
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I must not be the only one who needs expert advice, so other people can use this thread too, and maybe we can pool our expertises.

I'm thinking my girls might be old enough for some sort of handheld video game type system. (Believe it or not, I actually think ordinary video games might have some educational/developmental benefit for them.) I'm not a gamer, so I don't really know much about these. I glanced at the offerings at Wal-Mart, and wanted to see what people could add (or correct) to my perceptions. I didn't even look at the PSP, because I assume that's outrageously expensive. The Gameboy DS looks too flimsy, and it looks too hard for them to play with. (They have substantial developmental delays.) Do they still make the old Gameboy, or is the Gameboy Advanced the current descendent of that? The Gameboy Advanced also looks kind of flimsy. My girls aren't always careful, and so I worry about them breaking it. The old Gameboy that was just one piece and not hinged seemed sturdier to me, but I didn't see anything like that at Wal-Mart. Then I noticed the price. The Gameboy Advanced was $80, which I can live with, but it seemed like every game for it was around $30. Is that for real?! Those of you with Gameboys pay nearly half again the price of the device for each game you have for it? Do the parents here have these for their kids, and if so, do you buy them games, do your kids buy them themselves, or what? Is there a cheaper source for games? Do you buy used games somewhere? Or did I misunderstand somehow? And, are they old enough for it? The girls are eight, going on nine, but developmentally they are closer to six, going on seven. I think I see kids that young playing. How old are your kids that play?

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I probably shouldn't even give advice on gifts. I just got my friend's son (son is 4) an 80 dollar remote controlled stealth bomber, and a 20 dollar TONKA Truck with a horse trailer. This is either the most spoiled kid ever or I'm just delusional. I'm almost thinking about keeping the stealth bomber. Kinda neat. I never had one as a kid.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I guess most of is didn't have stealth bombers as kids . . . [Wink]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
But now that I have one....I mean, hey, the kid isn't all that good with remote controls. We found that out when we gave him a rc car. But I figure it's pretty safe for him to use, as it is made of foam.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
I have both a DS and a Game Boy Advance SP. I think I agree that the DS might be too hard for them. I know my 7-year-old niece was too young to handle games like Animal Crossing with a lot of words you have to read. There are some games that I think they might be able to handle, like Wario Ware or Mario Kart. I haven't really played a lot of DS games, mainly because of expense. I agree about the price of these games. DS games are $40 new I think, so I've only got 4 so far. The DS doesn't really feel flimsy to me. I'd bet that even if I threw on the floor several times it would still play fine, but the hinge is pretty vulnerable.

The Game Boy Advance SP, on the other hand, does feel flimsy to me. Again, the hinge is very vulnerable to being bent too far. You'd have a greater variety of games to choose from compared to the DS, though, and I think a lot of the older Advance games sell for $20 now. If you want a Game Boy system that's just one piece there's the Game Boy Micro. It's $10 cheaper than the SP, but it has a slightly smaller screen.

There's a local used game store around here that I buy games from, so you should check and see if there's one where you are. The Hollywood Video store here has a used games section, but I don't know if they have that in all of their stores. The only problem with buying Game Boy games used it that they almost never come with instruction manuals.

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't the DS backwards-compatible, so that it plays almost all GBA games?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Can those Game Boy Micros be linked to play against each other? Also, what games do they play? Their own, Game Boy Advanced, older game boy games, either/both?
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the DS can play all GBA games. Game Boy Micros can be linked together, but require a special GB Micro cable, not just any GBA cable, and they have to use an adapter to link to a regular GBA or an SP. They're just an update to the GBA system, not an entirely new game system, so they play GBA games. They don't, however, play original Game Boy games or Game Boy Color games (the DS doesn't either).
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
I own the SP. The flimsiness of the joint is actually outweighed (in my mind) by the protection it offers the screen. The plastic is also surprisably durable, And can take a lot of abuse. Mine has fallen off my bed countless time, and all it has are a few scratches. It plays all of my GB/GBC games as well. It also fits much better in your pocket, and the light is really useful.

I personally dislike the DS, but they do have a large variety of games. They may be a little advanced for your girls, but that depends on how readily they grasp the controls.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I miss the Game Boy Pocket.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Can those Game Boy Micros be linked to play against each other? Also, what games do they play? Their own, Game Boy Advanced, older game boy games, either/both?
I also wanted to point out that (my understanding at least) both units have to have the same game in them and then linked with the cable to be able to play against each other.

My 7 y.o. and my 10 y.o. have had GBA's (the one piece units). I've found less expensive games for them at BJ's, Kohl's, Costco...you can look at those types of places for $12-20 games. My 10 y.o. just upgraded herself to the SP after 5 years of the old one piece GBA but my 7 y.o is still enjoying the old one.

I would recommend getting on Craigslist or EBay and finding the older one piece GBA's for your girls.

AFAIK, all GBA games go backward like Tom said.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to chime in that the the Gameboy Advance SP (the folding one) is actually surprisingly durable, despite the hinge. Yes, it can bend "too far," but it's designed to withstand that. Short of leaving it folded open and then actually attempting to break it, I can't see what you could do to damage the system.

My SP survived a LOT of abuse. It took some cosmetic damage, but outlived many cell phones and portable music players that took a similar beating.

quote:
I would recommend getting on Craigslist or EBay and finding the older one piece GBA's for your girls.
This could be very sound advice, because the regular GBA is larger and therefore easier to handle. The big argument in favor of the SP, though, is that it's back-lit. It makes a WORLD of difference.

Then again, the back-lit ability makes it easier for them to sneak playing it when they're supposed to be sleeping (something I would've done as a kid), unless you require that they be put away in the living/your room (something my parents would've done).

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.