FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Official I Can't Wait For the Semester To Be Over Thread (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Official I Can't Wait For the Semester To Be Over Thread
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
*#@!)(#%&! I just got the @)($*@&!# take-home final for my @$)(*#@&@! international business class, and it's due by @$(@*&!ing Thursday! Now I have to spend tomorrow on this in addition to my @)($*!@&%ing marketing plan and presentation!

[Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I just woke up an hour before my alarm went off because my heart was racing so fast thinking about everything I need to do.

I guess it's good I started caring. I would have preferred to get the sleep, though.

I think I'm coming down with something; I'm completely exhausted all the time, even if I get eight hours of sleep.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
This paper is kicking my rear. I'd be better off if I DID have to write an original thesis.
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I'm coming down with something as well. [Frown] I started hacking up a lung last night.

Ugh, I very well might just go back to sleep, if possible...

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I have about 6 pages of a 15-20 due... today.

Crap.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I got excited about my marketing plan again. [Big Grin] I talked to my client, and I called some ad reps, and it just sounds really cool to be like, "I'm with the LSBDC, and I have a client who's interested in..."

They're sending an intern to bring me a media kit. AFter the ad rep offered to meet with me in person, and I declined because I have far too much to do today.

Unfortuately, what I REALLY need to be worried about right now is my international business take-home final, but...it's soooooo boring.

-pH

Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Carrie:

Crap.

hey! me too!

mine's due at 6pm. At least my reference list is neatly typed up. Maybe I'll get some credit for good research since the paper's crappy.

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

quote:
Originally posted by Coccinelle:
quote:

Crap.

hey! me too!

mine's due at 6pm. At least my reference list is neatly typed up. Maybe I'll get some credit for good research since the paper's crappy.

Hehe... I'm at 12 now. [Smile] I've still got a fairly in-depth example to go, as well as actually writing an introduction and conclusion. I think I can hit 15... I hope I can, at least. My references are also pretty [Smile]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

I just had a moment.

I'm writing this letter from St. Bernard to Thomas a Kempis. It's not been going very well. I'm getting about 100 words an hour, and most of those words aren't mine, they're quotes from either person. I've been having a lot of trouble writing anything of substance in my own words.

Well, I just wrote something original, and I stopped, and reread it, and it sounds exactly like something Bernard would say.

It's little moments like this that let me get through the end of the semester.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
It's over. I'm done.

I feel so drained emotionally and physically that I can't even feel happy. Hopefully that will come later.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I woke up this morning with the death flu. [Frown]

Take-home exam #1 due at 11:59pm tonight.

Death flu making it impossible for me to think straight.

-pH

James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a test tomorrow, and pathfinding program (with paper) due Monday.

But after that (and finals) I'm done!

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Praise God, I got an extension on the take-home exam. I asked for one day, and he was like, "Absolutely not. You will take three days. You sound like you need it."

I think I'm going to go sprawl on the sofabed.

-pH

Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
and pathfinding program (with paper) due Monday.
Ouch! Best get started on that ASAP man. You know people groan when I say that comp sci majors work harder than humanities majors, but it's so fracking true. The comp sci equivalent of a paper is a program. I know people who can pump out papers in a couple of hours. At worst it takes a day or two of hard work, including research, minus procrastination. A program can take weeks of hard work including research and minus procrastination. And what's worse is that we're not usually given quite enough time. And you can't just write it and be done with it. It has to work and not crash.

I wish you luck JTK.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Coccinelle:
quote:

Crap.

hey! me too!

Hehe... I'm at 12 now. [Smile] I've still got a fairly in-depth example to go, as well as actually writing an introduction and conclusion. I think I can hit 15... I hope I can, at least. My references are also pretty [Smile]
Did you finish? I submitted an 18 page beauty at 5:45. 15 minutes early!
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

I did. [Smile] 15 pages on the nose, turned in at 3:30 yesterday! I was also the only one to get it in before 5:00 yesterday afternoon - go me!

Heck, go us!

Coccinelle
Member # 5832

yay! That's wonderful! It's so nice to have the big evil paper done [Smile]
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I have 9 pages done of a 10 page conversation transcript and analysis that's due tomorrow morning. Now I'm searching through all my sociolinguistic literature to find some more reasearch I can bring into it to make it longer. I dont' want to just pad the word count, I want there to be some substance to it, I have an A in this class right now and want to keep it and this analysis is 25% of my grade.

It is fun though - we got to pick what we wanted to transcribe and I picked sports talk radio. I think I'm going to pull in some stuff from Deborah Tannen on male conversational style - that should add some weight to the paper and be relevant.

[ December 07, 2006, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: Belle ]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

So, my groupmate was going to take all our bits of the paper and put it together so that it actually makes sense and is in some sort of order.

Well, if this is her idea of that, I suddenly understand why I get good grades.

I'm currently redoing. Of course, that implies that she did something other than copy and paste everything into a word file. Which she didn't.

Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm losing my motivation.... and I have a huge project and presentation in Econometrics tomorrow. I just want to curl into a big ball on my bed and sleep for three days.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
The existance of the "last class of the semester" threat makes me REALLY wish I were done. =( Though it sounds like I'm definately not the only one overloaded with work. It would be better if the topic of this one history paper weren't so unbelievably vague.
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
15 page paper due Thursday (technically Friday, but I'm leaving Thursday). I've got a page so far and no real clue as to where I'm going with it. Also started a study sheet for the test on Thursday. Four more days....
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I finished the final project for my independent study (in only an hour and a half!) and now I'm stuck on lame take-home final #1. Which I need to finish before midnight. I have a few little things to turn in for independent study still, but I figure I can take care of those early tomorrow morning. Take-home final comes first.

And I'm so TIRED! I want to go back to sleep!

-pH

pH
Member # 1350

I FINISHED TAKE-HOME FINAL #1!!

[Party]

-pH

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
And it's before midnight for you, right? Yay! [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
And it's before midnight for you, right? Yay! [Smile]

Yes! I am the winner!

Now I get to wake up tomorrow and camp out in the library for two days!

-pH

Snail
Member # 9958

- posted      Profile for Snail   Email Snail         Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like I'm having it easy compared to most of you people.

I only have four exams to go and two projects I need to finish off.

The thing I'm most stressed out is handling the paperwork to getting my new study plan approved. About a year ago they changed the degree structure in Finnish universities to fit some stupid overall EU formula, and that means I can't finish university with the same study plan I started it. Not that changing my study plan is difficult in itself, it's just paperwork... and I hate paperwork. [Mad]

Posts: 247 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
In an attempt to try to make everyone else feel a little better about their workload, my end-of-semester schedule:
  • 1-hour philosophy colloquium presentation (colloquium includes all three philosophy professors, and 7 students) Done
  • 15-page research paper for said colloquium presentation Done
  • 15-minute presentation on a policy proposal pertaining to constitutionalism and national security Done
  • 16-page policy proposal
  • 10-page final paper on U.S. political thought
  • 30-page final paper on historiography and social structure.s
Total page count: 71
Pages completed: 15
Percentage done: ~21%

I'm just looking forward to finishing so I can start writing other papers over the break.

See y'all in a couple more months.

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:
quote:
and pathfinding program (with paper) due Monday.
Ouch! Best get started on that ASAP man. You know people groan when I say that comp sci majors work harder than humanities majors, but it's so fracking true. The comp sci equivalent of a paper is a program. I know people who can pump out papers in a couple of hours. At worst it takes a day or two of hard work, including research, minus procrastination. A program can take weeks of hard work including research and minus procrastination. And what's worse is that we're not usually given quite enough time. And you can't just write it and be done with it. It has to work and not crash.

I wish you luck JTK.

Hehe. The funny thing is, I'm not a CompSci major. This was for a class called "Minds and Machines." I was trying to show how hard subconscious human tasks are to program. Just turned in in, though.

The hardest part was all the vector geometry. To be honest, I'm kind of surprised at how well it turned out [Cool]

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I invented a new unit of measurement last night. "Square kilometers per airport."

Gar....I need to order new glasses....but I need to go camp in the library...

-pH

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I am nearly finished my last essay of the year. It's about Einstein and General Relativity, the Great War and the 1919 eclipse.

Theeeen I have one charity performance with the choir I'm in and three exams and then I'm DONE!

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

Two classes entirely finished with. All papers completed. Just three more finals to go.
Belle
Member # 2314

One final down, three more to go. Still not done with my final paper in my English class - it's due Friday.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
How long does it have to be?
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Ten pages. I've written five. I shouldn't have too much trouble finishing it, I just have to sit down and make myself do it.
Carrie
Member # 394

*does the Happy-I-Don't-Have-the-Topic-for-my-10-page-Paper-Due-Wednesday Dance*

(edit to correct day due - I wish it were Thursday...)

blacwolve
Member # 2972

I feel really, really awful, and I don't know why.

I got about 5 or 6 hours of sleep last night, which made it impossible for me to study today until the bright idea of taking a nap occurred to me around 4:30, so I napped until 6, went to dinner, and then started studying again. I still feel awfully exhuasted, though, and I feel like I'm racing against the clock to get all the studying done that I'd planned to do earlier in the day.

Added to that, I'm spiraling into depression about things completly unrelated to finals. And my mom has been emailing me about all these things to do when I'm in town, when I was just looking forward to relaxing and getting the massive amount of not school related work that I've been putting off until break done. So I don't really have anything to look forward to anymore, when the thought that I could go home in 4 days was the only thing getting me through.

I'm sorry to complain. I'm hoping by getting it out there I'll be able to get back to work and get things done.

pH
Member # 1350

*hugs for blacwolve* [Frown] I'm sure it'll get better. My mom can be the same way when I get home. I just want to lie around and relax, and she goes all crazy about how I don't do anything but lie around all day...and I'm like, Mom! It's my break! This is ME TIME!

Maybe she's just excited to have you home.

-pH

blacwolve
Member # 2972

quote:
Originally posted by pH:
*hugs for blacwolve* [Frown] I'm sure it'll get better. My mom can be the same way when I get home. I just want to lie around and relax, and she goes all crazy about how I don't do anything but lie around all day...and I'm like, Mom! It's my break! This is ME TIME!

Maybe she's just excited to have you home.

-pH

I'm sure she is, she just expresses that excitement by wanting to go on outings and stuff constantly. And I like doing stuff with her, but I rarely get a moment to myself.
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds HORRIBLE Insanity Plea! What sort of program are you in, and how do I stay out of it?
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I FINISHED MY SECOND TAKE-HOME FINAL!!!!

I am the winner!!!!

Now I have all day tomorrow to finish up my marketing plan.

-pH

Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
So I lied, I returned in my unstructured procrastination.

quote:
That sounds HORRIBLE Insanity Plea! What sort of program are you in, and how do I stay out of it?

If by "horrible" you mean "horribly awesome." I'm a philosophy and political science double major (senior) at a small liberal arts college. The philosophy program (currently) requires two semesters of colloquium which is where you spend the semester researching a topic in philosophy (due), present on it, and then finish with a first draft of a paper that could then possibly be revised and polished for publishing. I just happened to end up drawing a later presentation date, so I'm including it in my "finals schedule" (I actually would have liked to do it far earlier). The policy proposal is also actually supposed to be the cumulative of a semester's worth of work, but eh, the rest of school gets in the way. The 10 page final paper is just that, nothing really special.
The 30 page paper, however, is beautiful. It is literally 100% of the grade for the course, which is technically a 300 level history course, however, it was actually a seminar on historiography and the philosophy of mind (with bits of neurobiology, and academic history tossed in). The course read a major book a week (I'm talking books like The Aesthetics of Memesis here, not any random novel) along with major readings in the philosophy of mind. The seminar met once a week for 3 hours, and was entirely amazing. This paper is going to be my crowning achievement of the semester. In fact, as I'm writing this post I just starting another book from the library that looks very promising. I'm writing on building an understanding of how we understand and negotiate structures using the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy as a catalyst, through small vignettes (think Mrs. Bridge).
And once I'm done with the semester, I can start working on papers for conferences in the spring!

(There actually is no sarcasm in this post at all.)

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I GOT A 97.4% IN LEADERSHIP DYNAMICS!!!!

I thought I still had two more postings to make!

WOW!

[Party]

-pH

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*high-fives*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I was feeling deathly ill today. I literarlly could not think through the big fuzz cloud in my head. But, thank the gods, there were free professional massages being offered by ResLife. Ten minutes later I felt like a person again!

Now I just have one more final and a paper to finish.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

My marketing plan is 31 pages long, and I still haven't even TOUCHED a couple major sections.

And it's not even 5pm yet. [Cool]

I'm going to go pick up my new glasses and have some dinner. I deserve it!

-pH

pH
Member # 1350

Thirty-nine pages.

Still not finished.

Meeting with the client tomorrow to work out nitpicky details.

What amuses me is that really, this isn't nearly the longest of these kinds of assignments I've had. I think my undergrad music finance midterm ended up being 60 pages, and the final project was 90.

-pH

Carrie
Member # 394

I am going to die. This stupid Lucretius paper isn't writing itself, and it's due at 2! &@*$^$#@*# Lucretius!

3/10 pages, but I can probably drop that to 8.5...

Belle
Member # 2314

I can't get into my Othello paper either. Which tells me it's typical end of the semester brain fog, because I LIKE Othello.

I have only one final remaining - on Friday and this final paper to do and that's it.

Today, the biggest portion of my Language and Culture class was an essay question - "Describe the differences between prescriptive and descriptive grammar and give illustrations of what the implications are for speakers of African American Vernacular English in public schools."

That's not verbatim, but that was the general gist of the question - definitely one I could wrap my head around and something the professor and I had already talked about at length after class, several times. I read it and looked up at him and grinned and he just smiled back at me, it was almost as if it was designed for me. [Big Grin]

SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
[Angst] I'm going to fail math. I have no idea what I'm doing anymore...
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.