FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How did you adjust to living with someone? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: How did you adjust to living with someone?
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
So you convinced him to move in, eh? 'Bout time. I've had plenty of roommates. Worse one was one that I had known prior to rooming with. He didn't help paying bills. So after the 6 month lease was up, I moved out. Which forced him to move because he couldn't afford the rent by himself.

As far as the toilet seat issue going on here... I leave the seat down at my parent's house, and any house I am visiting. That of which I do as a courtesy. At my own house, I am the only person living here, I leave it down because I am too lazy to lift it up. That, and I do most of my peeing at work. But the seat does do something else for me. It's something a bit easier to hold on to when paying homage to the porcelain god. Thankfully I didn't need that this weekend. I crawled to bed. I remember that much.

Edited to add: Pearce...I'm just going to leave that last post of yours alone. [Razz]

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Storm: That's an idea, actually. I can stop cooking for him till he agrees to always put the seat down. And I won't buy any snotpockets either so if he wants to eat HE will have to buy his own snot pockets AND microwave them himself.

I'll be eating Baked Chicken Romanesque that I only made enough of for myself.

If that doesn't work, I won't do his laundry either.

Remember guys, You get a lot more from us than we get from you.

Put the damn seat down.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Closing the lid because critters can't be trusted not to play in it is so totally different argument than closing it because there are women who might that toilet.

I don't recall having made the argument you are objecting to. I personally close the lid in the bathroom that no one uses but me. For sanitary reasons -- things are much less likely to fall in, and fewer droplets of bacteria-laden water get out.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:

Really? Maybe I'm doing something wrong in all of my relationships. Because it always seemed like I was the only one doing anything. I had the regular job, I payed for all the dates, and anything else with. I cooked, I cleaned, I helped set up parties their parent's were hosting, and many other items. Wait, wait...forgot. My ex fiance did cook. One time.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:

Question, do you use the restroom with the door open or closed? Growing up my parents never shut the door, and now that I am married if Tiffany can see me the door is shut, if she can't it remains open. Though that could be because our restroom is just too small and opening/closing is very obnoxious.

My parents never closed the door while I was growing up, either. Now, I close it if someone else is in the house, and leave it open if they aren't.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Stan: for every couple in your position, there are 10(*) that are the other way around.

Pix

(*) Studies have shown that 79.8% of statistics are made up. The point stands, though.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Put the damn seat down.
Nope.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

BB: My hubby leaves the door open. I make a point to talk to him in a very loud and obnoxious voice whenever I see him do it.

In my opinion, one should never have to see the person they love excreting waste. Not a lot of romance there...

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't recall having made the argument you are objecting to.
No, but you did object to my objection of that argument.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I generally close the toilet completely, but I think I'm going to start leaving the seat up just to assert my masculinity now. Hell, I may take the seat off entirely!
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hitoshi
Member # 8218

- posted      Profile for Hitoshi   Email Hitoshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
quote:
She was very surprised that I don't pee standing up, as that was one of the things her girlfriends had told her to start dreading. Regaling her with horror stories about husbands who get it all over the walls and even on the ceiling occasionally.

Who are these guys?

Oh, these guys are everywhere. They hide inside of us. There's one inside you right now, just waiting to come out and urinate on the upholstery. What can you do to keep these cheeky leakers locked away for good? Not drink so much alcohol that everything in your apartment looks like a toilet. Good luck my friend, and God bless... you'll need it. [/QB]
[ROFL]
Posts: 208 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

*Getting tired of smug looks from her lesbian side...*
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
quote:
I don't recall having made the argument you are objecting to.
No, but you did object to my objection of that argument.
Perhaps. But as I said, on general sanitary principles.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Unless I'm remembering wrong, most of those santary objections have been debunked.
rivka
Member # 4859

So things aren't less likely to fall in if the lid is closed?

Wow, some forcefield you must have.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
So things aren't less likely to fall in if the lid is closed?

Wow, some forcefield you must have.

Or perhaps somebody put saran wrap over his bowl and he has yet to notice? [Wink]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They tend to be very considerate guys who don't expect that someone else will clean up after them if they miss the target.
Would you be insinuating that men who pee while standing tend to be inconsiderate and urinate everywhere? Because I hope not. Also, having the idea that single guys that live alone prefer to have their seat left up and it may be considerate for a female to put it up after use does not a messy pee-er make.

quote:
Wow, vonk, that "women have the most risk so they have the most responsibility" comment made my lesbian side hop up and scream "SEE WHAT THEY ARE LIKE!!"

Have a little courtesy. Be nice to any woman unfortunate enough to love you.

Put the damn seat down.

I do put the seat down. and the lid. Every time. And I don't like how the logic I use to defend a theoretical toilet seat issue can be stretched to include every risk/responsibility men and women might share.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

quote:
Originally posted by Stan the man:
quote:

Really? Maybe I'm doing something wrong in all of my relationships. Because it always seemed like I was the only one doing anything. I had the regular job, I payed for all the dates, and anything else with. I cooked, I cleaned, I helped set up parties their parent's were hosting, and many other items. Wait, wait...forgot. My ex fiance did cook. One time.
Amen! A-freaking-men! I would hope my tone wouldn't have quite the bitterness of Stan's, but I often feel the very same way.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
vonk: Somehow I think if you were doing all that, the toilet seat would be so much easier as to be unoticeable.

If I could by keeping the seat down obtain delicious cooking, dates paid for, free cleaning, and even the party set up, it would be a no brainer for me.

Honestly speaking Vonk even if you aim perfectly, are you suggesting that you don't still get vapor condensation on the seat by standing up?

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
When you love someone, or even just want to get along with them, you agree to do certain things just to make them happy, even if those things are illogical or inconvenient.

So if you are living with someone and you aren't a grade A self centered jerk, then you do at least some of the things that he/she wants. That may mean putting down the toilet seat for her. It may mean letting him keep the penguin in the corner. Every couple needs to decide what the proper compromises should be. The point easy that both parties need to be willing to accomodate at least some of the desires of the other party just because you care about them.

If you don't, you are pretty selfish and don't deserve to have the love or friendship of anyone you might live with.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

vonk, the only thing on mine is that I actually like...correction...love to cook. I never owned my own microwave until this November. I still hardly ever use it. Now, I must tend to actually eating my dinner, vice smelling it. Roast leg of lamb with a dijon mustard sauce, and some potatoes.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
Hmm, well, I would tend to think that the person assuming the most risk would care a bit more, and therefor carry the burden.

quote:
And I don't like how the logic I use to defend a theoretical toilet seat issue can be stretched to include every risk/responsibility men and women might share.
Vonk, I think that the birth control issue was intended to illustrate the fallacy in your original argument. This is a pretty standard rhetorical technique used to explore the potential validity of an argument. You present the argument "Person A should carry the burden because person A has the greater risk". You have implied that lesser personal risk justifies lower personal responsibility. So in resonponse, someone else produced a different scenario in which person B has lesser risks in order to explore the validity of the of your original implication.

I doubt it was intended to imply that you feel you have no responsibility for birth control. It was intended to question the validity of the reason you posted for why a man shouldn't have responsibility for the toilet seat.

I also think that your originally argument is ethically flawed. I believe it is an absolute ethical imperitive to ensure that my actions don't unduly endanger others. I think that responsibility is even greater than the responsibility to protect myself.

For example, if I'm cooking for others I take even greater care to make sure I don't contaminate the food than if I'm only cooking for myself. If I'm leading a hike, I'm even more careful to avoid a dangerous route than if no one is following me. And if someone else is likely to sit in the filth I leave on the toilet sit, I feel an even greater responsibility to clean it up than if its my only private toilet.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

A better example would be leaving a skateboard at the stairs. You know it's there, you have less risk. Is it then the responsibility of the next person to come along to look and make sure you haven't booby trapped the stairs?
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Good example Pixiest.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
When you love someone, or even just want to get along with them, you agree to do certain things just to make them happy, even if those things are illogical or inconvenient.
I completely agree.

I reject, however, the notion that the issue of the
toilet seat is something that should always be capitulated to by the person who doesn't want to put it down.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Next in the compatibility survey:
Toilet paper running over the top or down the back of the roll.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:

I am indifferent on the matter.

Though I still haven't gotten many responses to the bathroom door open or closed question.

I'd like to know if there is any correlation as to which side of the bed men and women sleep on.

Facing the bed I was always a right sider, since I got married my wife insisted on having the right side as she said its more comfortable. So after about 24 years of right sidedness now I am a lefty. I got used to it surprisingly fast, I guess it was not a big deal.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
toilet seat is something that should always be capitulated to by the person who doesn't want to put it down.

Its the simple fact that you see this as "capitulation" that bugs me. It makes it sounds like this is a power struggle and you need to win to prove you're the man or some such thing. Maybe it doesn't matter to your partner and if thats the case then its not a problem.

But if it does matter to your partner, why do you feel like you've "capitulated" by doing it? Its not like its a big deal for you to lift the toilet sit before you urinate and then put it back down. Its a tiny thing that you could do to accomodate the wishes of your partner. Its not capitulation, its accomdation and consideration. Shouldn't the fact that it makes her unhappy if you leave the seat up be enough reason alone to do it?

The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:

Honestly, when you sit on the toilet and all men do sometimes sit on can, do you move the seat to the up position when your done so it will be ready for you the next time you need to pee?

I've never known a man who did that but maybe there are some. If you aren't one of them, why would you expect a woman to put the seat up after she sits on the toilet?

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Over the top.

Anyone who does otherwise is a barbaric heathen. [Razz]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

True that, Pearce.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by pH:
quote:

Over the top.

Anyone who does otherwise is a barbaric heathen. [Razz]

-pH

Unless you have a pet or a child who likes unrolling roll.
pH
Member # 1350

....wouldn't it be easier to unroll if it went under the bottom? 'cause that's why I hate it that way; I end up with like thirty billion sheets of toilet paper.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Ï love this thread.

My poor wife had the most terrible time of it when I sold up in London and came to Spain to live with her. Not only did she suddenly have to share her one room appartment with a another person, but he came with 24 crates of books, 3 guitars and a bike. NOt to mention a collection of road signs and more CDs than you can shake a stick at.

It really took a while for us to get used to each other in a confined space.

Still we managed, with a minimum of fuss and now we live in a nice house.

The most diffcult thing has been for the pair of us to laern to share our world with a small toddling tornado. As a wise person once said "everything of value placed well out of reach"...

As for the toilet seat - I just pee in the bath.

[Evil]

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He's also going to do the cooking...I'm having trouble trying to figure out exactly what I'm contributing to this arrangement....the boobs?

-pH

Well...I keep telling Isabel hers is the most important contribution to our relationship, so... [Evil]
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
pH has boobies. Tee hee.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Stephan: The idea that someone is "whipped" if they're nice to the woman they love is one of the nastiest things about men's culture.

I agree, most of the time. If a man wants, and has never been told, to sit down while doing his business that's one thing. Being told and made to sit down by a woman that is supposed to love and respect him is just plain demeaning.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:

The opposite of whats there. If I finish a roll, I always make it a point to reverse it from the way it was. Mostly because its such a small thing that really irritates so many people.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Its the simple fact that you see this as "capitulation" that bugs me.
Its not capitulation, its accomdation and consideration.

You are reading too much into the word "capitulation". In the way I used it, it means exactly the same thing as "accomadation".

Let me clarify -- I don't really think that women shoud leave the seat up. My point was just that I think that it makes as much sense to expect women to leave the seat up because it might be a man who wants to pee next (as in, it's silly and makes almost no sense) as it does to expect men to leave the seat down because it might be a woman who wants to pee next.

I think anybody using a toilet should make sure that they know if the seat is down or up.

quote:
As for the toilet seat - I just pee in the bath.
Brilliant!
vonk
Member # 9027

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
vonk: Somehow I think if you were doing all that, the toilet seat would be so much easier as to be unoticeable.

Honestly speaking Vonk even if you aim perfectly, are you suggesting that you don't still get vapor condensation on the seat by standing up?

Actually, I usually raise and lower both the seat and the lid at the same time because by grabbing the lid as well I avoid unnecessary contact with the top of the seat, where everyone knows the little nasties live. And if they don't, well, I believe they do, and that's enough for me.

Vapor condensation? Really? If I have to start worrying about vapor condensation while urinating I'm just gonna go ahead and pee in/on whatever I feel like.

Oh, and The Rabbit - your probably spot on about there being a flaw in my logic, but I've held it to be true for so long, that I don't think I'll stop now. Besides, I do all the correct/nice/responsible things I need to, including lifting and lowering toilet seats, I just like to have arguments that I believe to be true that I can grumble good naturedly under my breath. And this was a good one, so I'll keep it. [Smile]

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a problem with putting the seat down as something that is important to the other person, but I've got a big problem with the smug, war of the sexes issue that some people on this thread are making out of it. Women don't have this overwelming, god given right to have the seat down that makes it so that men not putting it down are all selfish jerks.

We had this conversation in college in my mixed sex house. And then my friend and I spent about a week walking into a room and saying "I'm going to sit down now. I can only hope that there is a chair there." If you can't take the trouble to look at where you are sitting, I'm not sure you don't deserve the fall into the toilet from time to time. (Incidentally I think we split the time, half the year seats down, the other half whatever. I think that was actually worse for the girls.)

[ December 05, 2006, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Yep.

Plus, as I mentioned before, there really are good reasons for dudes to pee standing up.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by Storm Saxon:
Yep.

Plus, as I mentioned before, there really are good reasons for dudes to pee standing up.

Good practice for when we need to put a fire out.

Good practice in case we wind up in prison and need to declare our dominance.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Vonk: By vapor condensation I mean when you hit the bowl but not the water and some of it sprinkles upwards and over. Trust me it happens, I've seen what happens when guys with good aim over time don't clean the lid, it starts turning the color yellow until somebody applies cleaner.

I personally think standing up is fine, but you should be willing to clean the lid sufficiently after each use, or avoid the hassle by sitting.

pH
Member # 1350

quote:
I think that it makes as much sense to expect women to leave the seat up because it might be a man who wants to pee next (as in, it's silly and makes almost no sense) as it does to expect men to leave the seat down because it might be a woman who wants to pee next.

Except that men also use the toilet with the seat down on occasion. Both sexes find the need to sit on the toilet.

Edit: Thanks, crappy wireless keyboard!

-pH

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Women don't have this overwelming, god given right to have the seat down that makes it so that men not putting it down are all selfish jerks.
Exactly. I have no problem putting the seat down, or up, or the seat and lid down whenever I use the restroom. What I have a problem with is the expectation that if I do not do this, I'm a misogynist in the midst of an epic power struggle.

I look before I sit, and it ain't that big of a deal.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Storm: That's an idea, actually. I can stop cooking for him till he agrees to always put the seat down. And I won't buy any snotpockets either so if he wants to eat HE will have to buy his own snot pockets AND microwave them himself.

I'll be eating Baked Chicken Romanesque that I only made enough of for myself.

If that doesn't work, I won't do his laundry either.

Put the damn seat down.

Wow. If that is not a partisan viewpoint I don't know what is.

Try reading the worldwatch article.

Shouldn't it be a team effort.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
I have no problem putting the seat down, or up, or the seat and lid down whenever I use the restroom. What I have a problem with is the expectation that if I do not do this, I'm a misogynist in the midst of an epic power struggle.

I look before I sit, and it ain't that big of a deal.

Trittoed.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

quote:

Good practice for when we need to put a fire out.

Good practice in case we wind up in prison and need to declare our dominance.

Nope. Good reasons. [Smile]
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

brojack: It IS a team effort. Part of guys contribution is putting the seat down. It's a tiny price to pay.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.