FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Corellation != Causality

Author Topic: Corellation != Causality
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
The returning debate with steven reminded me of a fun example that shows the common misuse of statistical correlation to mean that one phenomena causes another.

Example:
There was a study done that showed a perfect statistical correspondence/correllation between eating icecream on a beach and deaths from shark attacks.

This correlation matched both by day/season as well as hour by hour and throughout the whole study period maintained the perfect match.
</sticks tongue in cheek>
therefore, obviously, eating ice cream on the beach raises the probability that you will be attacked by a shark.
</removes tongue from cheek>

It's just a warning for those who use statistics too flippantly. Just because numbers seem to match doesn't mean there's actually a connection, or at least a direct connection.

Just like this study ignores the fact that the shark attacks are really influenced by number of people at the beach, not number of people eating ice cream at the beach...

Feel free to post similar analogies and whatnot if anyone likes [Smile]

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Everyday there is at least one in the news.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
The number of bars in a given city increases at a similar rate as the number of churches. Therefore, going to church leads to drinking.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
TG: See I had always heard the example as "Those who eat icecream and get into boat accidents."

But shark attacks works just fine.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
No discussion like this is proper without mention of the open letter to Kansas School Board:

quote:
You may be interested to know that global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters are a direct effect of the shrinking numbers of Pirates since the 1800s. For your interest, I have included a graph of the approximate number of pirates versus the average global temperature over the last 200 years. As you can see, there is a statistically significant inverse relationship between pirates and global temperature.
(That should get the snowball rolling...)
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Like the study that compared syphillus rates in sailors vs those of nuns in a German nunnery? The result proved that Syphillus was spread by ocean water.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Parents of toddlers tend to be late to their medical appointments. Therefore, lateness causes one to have toddlers.

Look at all the subsets you want -- you'll see that, clearly, the toddler-having group has more problems with lateness. There is data from all these different clinics, and over and over, the toddlers are associated with lateness.

Obviously, QED. Stay on time* and you'll never have a toddler.

----

*Not that kind of "on time," silly.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Nighthawk: Y'arr, mock not mine faith, ye lubberly bilge rat.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
This would be funnier if piracy had actually decreased. I can't find any long term data, but piracy is a significant and growing problem. Reported pirate attacks tripled between 1993 and 2003.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Y'arr, had they scurvy? They be not pirates without scurvy.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I suspose if you define pirate as some one who says "Y'arr" and has scurvy rather than someone who commits robbery at sea then the trend could be entirely different.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
therefore, obviously, eating ice cream on the beach raises the probability that you will be attacked by a shark.
You have it backwards. When you're about to be eaten by a shark, you are compelled to eat ice cream on a beach.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
This would be funnier if piracy had actually decreased. I can't find any long term data, but piracy is a significant and growing problem. Reported pirate attacks tripled between 1993 and 2003.

Followers of the FSM keep coming out of the woodwork, taking to the high seas and try to save the planet. What's wrong with that?

*EDIT*: Arr... ye spellin'!

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
You have it backwards. When you're about to be eaten by a shark, you are compelled to eat ice cream on a beach.
Well, I know I am!

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
mph, brilliant deduction! I think you must be right... I mean, anxiety leads to over-eating, particularly of ice cream, and I'd definately be anxious if I were about to be eaten by a shark... it all makes so much sense.
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
I mean, anxiety leads to over-eating, particularly of ice cream.
Well there are those of us who eat less when we are under stress. Are you suggesting that stress eaters are more numerous than stress non-eaters or that the stress non-eaters just aren't tasty enough to be shark bate in the first place.
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

well obviously the non-eaters are going to tend to be more stringy and less juicy (read appetizing), come now... =p
The Rabbit
Member # 671

You know, it doesn't bother me one bit to think that I might be less appetizing.
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I just point out that there's no apostrophe in 'Yarr'?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
The exception that proves the rule: The more psychotic the voter, the more likely they were to vote for Bush. Explanatory psychobabble at the linked study.

A good example from from a college math class: the more people waiting for a subway, the sooner the train is likely to come. But bringing ten friends with you won't make the train come any sooner.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"Can I just point out that there's no apostrophe in 'Yarr'?"

Why bother? Pirates don't hafta respect other people's rules.

Incontrovertible proof of GlobalWarming : sometimes finding correlation is finding causation.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Morbo:

A good example from from a college math class: the more people waiting for a subway, the sooner the train is likely to come. But bringing ten friends with you won't make the train come any sooner.

What if they all have magnets in their pockets?
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
Therefore, lateness causes one to have toddlers.

*gasp* It's true! Every single time I had a toddler was preceded (about two years earlier) by being late!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

"Honey, we're late to pick up our son at school. What ever are we going to do now? Um... why are you looking at me like that? Wait... not now! Stop! Stop! St... don't stop! Don't stop!"
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
The Pirates could be Chinese and their speech bubbles are written in Wade Giles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wade_Giles

Speaking of, Pirates 3 takes place partially in Ming Dynasty China.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheng_I_Sao <--- The most successful woman pirate if not pirate period.

I liked her set of rules, a bit more on the feminist side. I don't think rum was ever discussed.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
I liked her [the Dread Pirate Cheng's] set of rules, a bit more on the feminist side.

quote:
Even if there was fornication with a female captive at her supposed consent, the sailor was beheaded and the female cast overboard with a weight tied to her legs.
That's an odd version of feminist thought. [Eek!]
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...and the female cast overboard with a weight tied to her legs.
Whereupon, naturally, she asked for ice cream.
Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]

Thanks aspectre
That was so funny

Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.